All reviews canal view breakfast room budget room perfect location bread glass door hard boiled eggs the main square train station weekend break pastries high ceilings within easy walking distance few minutes walk visiting bruges beautiful city renovation
Selected filters
Reviewed June 2, 2019

This hotel has everything we were looking for. Not only is it one block from the famous Bruges Belfry and central square but it has all the amenities that we were hoping for. The price was modest but the room was sparkling clean, the bathroom was spacious and the air conditioning was cold and quiet. It was unseasonably warm and we were hot and tired after long days exploring Bruges. The hotel was extremely quiet, the bed was cozy and we slept very soundly despite the very central location. The room had a small wine fridge and a safe which were handy. A huge bathroom with great hot water... after lots of European hotels I was really impressed. I would recommend this to anyone, especially couples.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank EvaLuna79
Reviewed May 1, 2019

Wonderful location. Clean and attractive room. The hotel is very easy to get to and everything you should see is within a 10 minute walk. It was so nice to hear the bells from the Belfry. The beds are really comfortable and there’s a fridge in the room if you want to bring your own water.

Room tip: Ask for canal view.
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2019

A valentines surprise brought us to Hotel Bourgoensch Hof, and what a lovely surprise it was.
The hotel is currently being up graded, but this did not interrupt us. Our bedroom was one of those to yet be upgraded, we were level with the water in the basement. It was clean and tidy so what more could we ask for.

Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed April 13, 2019

I stayed in room 312 which had an excellent location overlooking the canal with view of two bridges via 2 big windows. It was a massive room with a large sofa bed, 2 armchairs & king sized bed with two additional chairs. There was a small cupboard stuffed with spare bedding. The bed was rather hard and I toyed with the idea of sleeping on the sofa bed because that seemed more comfortable! Unfortunately there was no room safe which was inconvenient. There as no air conditioning but because I was staying in early November that didn’t matter. There was a smallish flatscreen TV with millions of channels including BBC 1 & 2. There were two light sockets on either side of the bed but two of them were partially covered by the bedhead and so were unusable (if using a plug converter). There was a small bathroom with a small sink covered in towels & soaps etc leaving little place for toiletries. The towels were small. There was no hot water after 10pm (4 nights running - despite me mentioning it repeatedly). There was very poor water pressure so the bath took forever to run and no tissues were provided in the bathroom. The TV disconnected on one evening but it was swiftly repaired. 1 light wasn’t working but that too was repaired. Multiple lights all needed to be turned on individually which was frustrating because the room was very dark/gloomy at night. The gloom was not helped by lack of strong lights and the dark grey paint, carpet & sofa bed! It’s a pity that an old historic hotel is intent on adopting a minimalist, cold & modern style (eg brushed concrete staircase) instead of a more cosy traditional decor. The wi-fi was good when it worked but dropped in & out. Breakfast was fairly priced with the usual cold buffet items & hot hard boiled eggs. The coffee varied from being too strong when first delivered to too weak at the end of the urn! On one of the days the croissants were very stale. There was poor sound insulation both from the next door room & above. Location wise, the hotel was ideally situated on one of the main streets in Bruges. It was about 2 minutes walk away from the pretty view of the Rozenhoedkaai which was very handy. St Bonifacius Bridge was about a 5 minute walk as was the Basilica and main square. There was no street noise given the room looked out on the canal although there was a slight noise from the sightseeing boats when they started at 10am.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Thumbelina2
JAllewaert1, Manager at Hotel Bourgoensch Hof, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2019

Dear Thumbelina2,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay in the hotel in November 2018. I am glad you appreciated the size, layout and view from the room.

I can assure you we do not have the ability to switch off the hot water after 10pm. This would cause an uproar as many of our guests are still enjoying the nightlife Bruges' has to offer and come back rather late.

As I remember there was an occasion upon finishing the renovation project where the boiler had stopped working overnight, however we have two boilers working seperately now to ensure continuous supply of hot water 24/7.

The hotel does not have concrete stairs. There is one white marble and one wooden staircase. But given
the time span between review and visit, and the quantity of (mixed) reviews you have written since, perhaps the facts are getting slightly muddled.

Nevertheless we are grateful you chose to stay here and had a good time, and we look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Thanks again for the lenghty review albeit somewhat disconcerted.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Reviewed April 3, 2019 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights, got lost trying to find the hotel on my walk from the train station, (not the hotels fault and so beautiful out I didn't mind walking for longer)

The hotel is in a great location ideal for seeing the main sites of Bruges. Just a street away from the old Markt square and with a terrace over looking one of the canals. The hotel room was reasonably spacious and spotlessly clean. It over looked the road and initially I thought it was going to be really loud but that was just a football match crowd, it soon quietened down.

I didn't pay for breakfast but did try it one day, to be honest I didn't think it was really worth the price. But lots of local places nearby to try. I did have an amaretto sour I the hotel bar overlooking the canal which was lovely.

The staff were all very helpful and very friendly, especially the lovely lady who checked me in (sorry I don't know your name)

All in all I would thoroughly recommend the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: March 2019