“Housekeeping could have been better”

Hotel Bourgoensch Hof
Ranked #53 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Have just spent 3 nights at Hotel Bourgoensch Hof. The hotel is well located in the centre of the city but I felt that for the price could have been better. Overall the room was clean but the lighting very dim - you certainly struggled to read and there was a lack of attention paid to housekeeping details. We asked for additional pillows and were told by the receptionist that they were in the cupboard - they weren't, when they did arrive we were told that they were being washed! The hair dryer in the bathroom was broken and the replacement only blew cold air - we asked for this to be changed which is was. The room was cleaned and the towels were changed each day but the cup we had used for coffee had not been washed, the bottle of water and shampoo containers we had used were replaced but the empty containers were left and not thrown away!
Our room was very noisy at night - but this is one of the drawbacks to a central city location. the breakfast buffet choice was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view - it will be more expensive but quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
JAllewaert1, Manager at Hotel Bourgoensch Hof, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Phil H,

Thank you for your recent review..

I just wanted to add some elements to the story. The hairdryer did not just blow out cold air, I even informed this to you, as there were several positions for the switch and one of them made 'hot' air blow. Nevertheless I did provide you a brand new hairdryer straight away.

You enquired about the pillows the same time you mentioned the hair dryer. I indeed mentioned that the pillows should normally be in the closet but that I would check for you. When you returned I advised that the pillows had been washed the previous night and that they would be placed in the room again. I apologise that there were no extra pillows in the room for the first night, but ensure you that there are always pillows available upon request and I have since spoken to our staff to put other pillows in the room when the extra ones are being washed.

About the empty containers, the room attendants are instructed to leave the bottles that still contain shampoo or bath/shower gel, to try and minimize wastage. We do add new ones also so you don't have to run out, but they are only removed when completely empty.

I will re-iterate this procedure to the room attendants.

Thank you for mentioning that you liked our breakfast, the replacement of the complimentary water and the daily changing of towels.

Feel free to contact us for any further concerns or future reservations.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Johannes Allewaert
Manager

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Me and My girl stayed for three nights, it was perfect (the sound proofing was less perfect, but we didn't mind the night entertainment from the couple next door).
I don't remember the room number, but it was spacious and had a really great view straight down the canal (top floor).

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mess1as
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel is beautifully located right off the main square of Bruges. It is an older building which often means small rooms, but we specifically paid a little more and requested a canal view. Room 322 is the best room in the house and didn't cost us much more. It was a large room on the third level, although they call it the second floor....ground floor being called floor "0". There is a lift to that level. The bathroom was good but the shower was a hand held in a large tub. Breakfast was included and was very nice, with a good view of the Canal. Staff were friendly and helpful. We would stay in this hotel again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beth D
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend in Brugge and we had a great time! The hotel is centrally located and everything is a short walk away. We took a train in from Brussels and walked to Wollestraat where the hotel is . The cobblestone streets were challenging with roller bags !! The street outside the hotel is lined with chocolate shops! Our window had a view of the canal - which was lovely. The room was a decent size for Europe - two twin beds put together to make a double bed. Bathroom was small but clean and functional. hotel was full of character - breakfast was ok since I love chocolate croissants! Would stay again.

Room Tip: Would probably ask for a full canal view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sherry1317
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here in November 2012 for 3 nights. The location is perfect for exploring the town. Breakfast was generous with a lovely view over the canal from the dining room. Our room was modern & clean, overlooking the street. I would happily return to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy T
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have just returned from staying at this hotel. After reading some of the reviews we were a little apprehensive about our trip. We needn't have worried , this hotel is in a fantastic location right in the heart of things. The budget room was clean and had everything we needed. The breakfast was more than adequate with cereals, a variety of breads, cheeses ,meats, eggs, fruits, teas and coffee all unlimited. The breakfast waitress was lovely and really friendly. The gentleman on reception was very helpful and had a dry sense of humour. Would definitely stay here again !!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank annbo1958
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I've stayed here some years ago and it was better than it is now. It seems to be trading on the strength of its location.
I was in room 310. A canal facing room, but the windows were rather dirty so the view wasn't as good as it should have been. The windows couldn't be opened to let some fresh air in ( no aircon) as the window frames were so rotten as to be dangerous to open. The window glass was broken and cracked in places.
The bedoom walls were thick with dust. The furniture is old,and a mixture of all sorts of different types and colours. There is a kettle on a white board table, but there is no socket near to plug it in. The only one I could find being on the floor next to the toilet door.
The whole room experience was one of disappointment given a cost of over Euro160 a night.
The Hotel would be helpful if it explained that parking is impossible outside the hotel. You should go straight to the underground car park on Gevangenisstraat and walk .
Breakfast was of very limited choice but ok in the main .I was possibly just unlucky to get a boiled egg with the yolk turned black on the edges with excessive overboiling.

Given the high price only the location was first class.The rest needs some serious updating and attention. Next visit to Brugges will be somewhere else.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are a nice option
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stationmastershouse
JAllewaert1, Manager at Hotel Bourgoensch Hof, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review and I am sad to hear you did not experience the expected quality here at the hotel.

After reading it I have checked the room as those windows should be able to open. I was able to open them with the lock at the bottom, which maybe you did not see. However I was shocked to find out some of the outside glass was broken, and the window frame forced and bent.

I can tell you this was a first time for me to experience such bad abuse of a room. This has been fixed since without any further issues.

We have now moved the desk to a different location in the room, freeing up more wall plugs, allowing easier use of the kettle.

Regarding the general cleaning, I have reiterated the procedures, although no other remarks had/have been received.

The different furnishings in the room are our choice to keep those rooms affordable. Even though the rate you paid might seem high, a hotel with more lush interior on a similar location with canal views, will probably set you back double the amount you spent here.

There are a couple of temporary parking spaces in the Wollestraat, where you are able to stay for 10 minutes, allowing you to unload luggage and find out information on where to park the car.

Again, thanks for your time and I hope to have been able to further explain some of your unfortunate experiences.

Kind regards,