“Pleasant hotel!”

Ranked #75 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
's-Hertogenbosch
“Pleasant hotel!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Clean rooms and bathroom, good beds, and a good and extensive breakfast. The owners are very friendly and service-oriented people. An ideal place to explore the city!

Room Tip: There is no elevator!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JMH026

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Hotel de Pauw is a family hotel with only 8 rooms and each one comes with a private bathroom. You have the option to dine at the restaurant at the hotel - the complimentary breakfast was delicious. It is in a quiet neighborhood just a minute away from the canal and a short distance to the Bruges Town Hall, Market Square and Belfry. The room was clean, cozy and pretty specious (in terms of European size) but the layout was a little busy to call it comfortable. Overall, I liked the typical Flemish style building and its intimate and welcoming ambiance.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tatiana G
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I loved this quient hotel in Bruge!! WIthin walking distance to the town square, and right across the street from a beautiful old historic church. Very clean, quiet and modern, but no elevator which is par for European hotels. I really felt welcome and at home here!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank judyrp
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have been around the block a few times but I never came across such bad service. We ended up leaving the place (wife and baby together). The owner shouted at us and complained because we asked for some basic things. The worst experience of my life. Destroyed the whole weekend.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank Vhermes
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed here with friends from the USA and the welcome was non-existant. It was hard to find anyone most of the time as they seem to have other businesses and expect the hotel to run itself. My friends were treated exceptionally poorly as the owner was very rude. Avoid this place - it would be better to sleep on the street or in the church opposite!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravellerDevizes
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 31, 2011

You judge for yourself, here’s our experience: The owners were only there for breakfast so the rest of the time their teenage son handles guests. He is not up on services in Bruges (e.g. when asked if there were bikes and motorbikes to rent he said no to motorbikes although later we found a brochure right in their rack about renting them, and he gave us the farthest away place to rent bikes. When we wanted restaurant recommendations he had to call his parents.) When our friends arrived in the afternoon of our second day, since there was no one around we rang the doorbell for service, they responded but didn’t appear. We then had to ring again and finally their son came out to check our friends in. When I finally saw the owner she said they were too busy to serve as hosts themselves. We wonder why they don’t think the hotel is their business too (they also own a restaurant) and hire an adult to serve as host then rather than a teenager. The host then said “you should go to a 5 star hotel then, but I’m sure you can’t afford it.” Another example rudeness: I have a disease that flares up causing very intense and constant pain. Since they put us in a room that was 3 flights up (I asked to be changed upon check in and couldn’t) I wasn't able to make it down for breakfast so my husband asked if he could bring coffee up to me and they wouldn’t let him. When we checked out the owner called me lazy said I didn’t leave room until 2 (it was really noon) and her maids couldn’t clean the room, (when the maid knocked I told her not to worry so she just provided me with fresh towels and took out the trash.) I told the owner that I have a disease and was in pain so had to rest, at which her husband said “then you should have stayed home.” He then went and removed the “guest sign in book” so that we couldn’t write in it. We have stayed in other 2 and 3 star hotels throughout Europe and never had such poor service before and we travel a lot. Rooms were clean, water hot and breakfast was satisfactory.

Room Tip: Make sure you read worst reviews also.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kiwione
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The hotel is large enough and clean. Easily accessable to center of the city. If you need help from the hostess, we never saw the host, don't expect anything. How someone with such little interest in people decided to open a B&B is surprising. One evening my friend became sick so I went to their restaurant looking for coke and bread. She saw me and said we are completely booked without asking me what I needed. I said I am staying at her hotel which was met coolly and told her that my friend was sick. There was no spontaneous offer for me to purchase bread or soda. I was told to walk up and down the canal until I found a store, she had no idea where I would find one and dismissed me. Luckily an English owned restaurant where I ate dinner sold me a coke and gave me some bread; very kind. If this is your only option in Bruge take it otherwise anything else would be an improvement

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business