“Great location public rooms stunning bedrooms lack some character”

Oud Huis de Peellaert
Ranked #21 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Manchester UK
“Great location public rooms stunning bedrooms lack some character”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

The hotel has a great location within walking distance to all area in the city. The public rooms are lovely but the bedrooms are a bit bland and corporate. The sauna and steam room sections are good additions. Only real issue was front desk staff were never there and hard to locate

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Nice location near the central square. There is a youth hotel in the street, which could cause some noise (people smoking outside), but it didn't bother us. The room is good. Staff is friendly. We used the parking of the hotel, which is small but okay for a normal car (probably difficult to get in you have a van). Breakfast is very good, in a spacious lounge! The best points of the hotel are the beautiful old lobby in which you can enjoy a local beer at night. I't's like being in an old gentleman's club. Very nice. The other great feature is the gym and sauna in the basement. It's the original, ancient wine cellar of the house: very stylish! We had a great time here and will book this hotel again when we come back for another visit if this charming town.

Room Tip: - Try the local beer "Brugse Zot" in the bar. It's delicious. You can also bring it up...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gigantic
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My title says it all really.
Travelling on my own most of the time I don't expect to receive the lovely, spacious rooms usually pictured on hotel websites. I tend to be given tiny, dark box rooms with a single bed instead. But the room I had at the Oud Huis was lovely, bright and spacious with a charming king size bed. The bathroom too was lovely, modern and clean with both a bath and shower.
As I got to Bruges just as the snow came I had to spend much of my evenings at the hotel, so it was quite a relief to have BBC1 (London), BBC2 and ITV available in my room.
The hotel is literally a stone's throw away from the Burg, much closer than I'd thought. It's very easy to get to. If I leaned out of my window a little too dangerously I could see the Belfrey - which at the moment is sadly closed for refurbishment until the end of March. The side-street-style roads around the hotel appear to be cobbled and pedestrianised, but there is a fair bit of traffic on them (and watch out for cyclists!). But, nothing to disturb my sleep. There is also a bar immediately opposite the hotel which on Friday night had a few loud drinkers standing outside it. But again, the noise was just a murmur in my room, and didn't disturb me in the slightest.
There are two spacious, cosy reception areas and a bar with mock Flemish charm available downstairs to use, and the large modern breakfast area is light and airy, looking out at a sweet little courtyard. Apparently there is also a Sauna and therapy area which is free to use (although I couldn't find it anywhere in the main building).
The breakfast was very good, more than the usual continental cheese and cold ham affair you may expect in mainland Europe: self-service scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages and bacon aplenty, cereals, juices, fruit and pastries ... as well as cheese and ham.
On first arriving in Bruges after spending weeks brushing up on my broken French, I was surprised to find out that everyone actually speaks Dutch there and not French at all. But the friendly staff at the hotel are fluent in English (and French, and Dutch, and German) and always greet you with a genuine smile and eagerness to help.
My only negative is the constant piped music played throughout the hotel. The content of the music itself wasn't the problem (just classic background musak) but it was on all the time and when in my room it was like hearing a neighbour's radio murmuring on a few doors away. It is switched off late at night but turned on again at 7.30am. I must note though it didn't wake me up, nor keep me awake but I'd rather it wasn't on at all, or at least at a volume that couldn't penetrate through my hotel room door.
All-in-all a nice, clean, friendly hotel, smack bang in the middle of Bruges where you will be well looked after.

Room Tip: There is more of a skyline view at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 1975Londoner
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed here on a mini break from London. Thankfully, because we read previous reviews we asked for a room in the main building. Absolutely beautiful grand entrance, very nice, clean room and wonderful breakfast area. Location was perfect and although unfortunate there is a hostel and bar across the street, very little noise came from the street. The only complaint would be the very insecure luggage room that is left unlocked and out of sight of the main desk. Otherwise, we loved our time here and would absolutely stay here again

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Silverswisstracksuit
Oslo
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is a lovely grand hotel with a nice lobby. The only dissapointment was being shown to our room in the back building in a new extension. This meant slightly smaller rooms than we expected from the hotel's website. But the room was clean and quiet.

Other points:
- Nice that the hotel offers free WIFI.
- Good breakfast
- They have parking at the hotel. A bit expensive.
- Friendly staff.
- There is a Spa at the hotel, but we didn't have time to use it.

There are many beautiful hotels in the area. Check for the best prices.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for three days in January. 2012. We took executive room and it was good enough. The hotel itself was nice. And location is perfect. It's located in a very quiet place and just 5 minutes by foot from Grand Place. Our room was spacious enough. Hotel has a parking for 6 cars. We took a car in Belgium and we booked the parking space in advance. Of course the hotel has some shortcomings. We couldn't found bathrobes in our room. We asked the reception for it. And we were surprised when they asked us to give a passport as a deposit. We had never seen it in any other hotels. We refused to give them passport and argued with them much. And also we couldn't find slippers in the room. We asked reception again and we've been informed that slippers had been finished. So, finally we asked for the hotel manager and promised to write a review about this matter. Finally we found bathrobes and slippers in our room next day without any deposit.
But in all the other matters hotel is good and location is perfect. We liked this trip and we suppose to return to Brugge sooner or later.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2012

A group of 5 couples booked this hotel for a New Year break in Bruges, based on its 4* rating, its location and its price (expensive but not ridiculously so). My wife decided to upgrade at short notice: probably a mistake, as the extra room size and facilities didn't warrant the price hike. (For a superior room in a 4*, she expects extras like dressing gown etc, which she didn't get: the luxury seemed to consist of an impressive chandelier.) The hotel staff could not have been more helpful or friendly: the problem is that there simply aren't enough of them. At check-in we were encouraged to leave our luggage in an unlocked room out of sight of reception, with no security whatsoever: just as well we weren't old and frail, since there would have been nobody to take them to the room (no bellhop etc, just one poor overworked receptionist). Worst of all, none of our rooms were serviced until late afternoon, which meant we couldn't come back for an early afternoon nap (as far as we could tell, there were only 2 maids trying to cover 50 rooms). The hotel has a nice bar area....which doesn't open until 19:30, and is then staffed by the single receptionist who has to nip back to her desk whenever someone books in or needs assistance..it was all rather Fawlty Towers. One plus point: excellent breakfast. When we tried to see the manager on our last day, we were told he was busy at a sister hotel (which may explain some of the above). This hotel could be so nice...but not the way it's currently run. Certainly doesn't deserve 4 stars.

Room Tip: Probalby best to ask for a room in the main building (see other reviews).
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends