“Great collection and great fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Site Oud Sint-Jan

Site Oud Sint-Jan
Ranked #53 of 152 things to do in Bruges
Chicago, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great collection and great fun!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stumbled upon this collection by accident; it wasn't mentioned in Rick Steves' Bruges book but I saw it while I was doing his walking tour. I'm so glad I stopped. It was one of my favorite things in Bruges. It won't take more than an hour to see the whole collecton so its size isn't overwhelming (a good thing for me). The works include those of Picasso, Miro, Calder, Rodin and Toulouse-Lautrec. Just a fun hour and an interesting building to walk though.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank JMargo

Fairport, N.Y.
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Picassos and Miros on display - but minor works only”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This smallish museum has the art works advertised, but nothing of particular note. If you're short of time (who isn't when visiting Brugge?) give this a miss. Comprehended in the Brugge City Pass.

Visited May 2013
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Absolute Rip-off!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'm not a person who usually leaves reviews on internet by after visiting this museum I felt compelled to write something. In short

* very small collection it took us about 15 min to see it all
* most of artwork is not Picasso (5% of the collection if even that)
* No English translation of exhibits so you do your one guessing
* Most of the paintings looks like 2 years old's doodling on the paper, see below.

You'll be better off with speding these 8 euros on one more go on canal cruise or buying small box of chocolates for you mum than visiting this place. One to avoid.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Natasha K
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Good collection of prints by Picasso and others”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We spent well over an hour looking around the Xpo Picasso exhibition here. We assumed that they would only have works by him but the exhibition was supported by many works by Miro, Chegall, Matisse and Magritte. I also loved that there was so many original letters written by the artists listed above plus some from the likes of Dali and Monet.

We got in for free using our Bruges City Card but I think the entrance fee is still cheap. The shop stocks reproduction prints plus some original prints if you have the money to buy one!

Well worth a visit.

1 Thank Lovetotravel2519
New York City, New York
603 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 558 helpful votes
“Expo Picasso at Oud Sint-Jan was wonderful!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

On our first day in Bruges, in the late afternoon, our energy started to wane, as we felt that we had, after all, flown overnight from NYC and arrived that morning on very little sleep. Nevertheless, we persevered and visited the Picasso Expo, and it was great fun. In a city that is so celebrated for its connection to the remote past, it was fun to see art that is from just around the corner time-wise. There were all kinds of drawings and informal pieces, like posters made for events and the like, by not just Picasso, but also Joan Miro, Marc Chagall, Henri Matisse and others. The exhibition space is sort of like a series of hallways, but it takes you through a large building with a lovely courtyard in the middle of it, and off in the distance is the lovely Our Lady Church. So as we celebrated 20th century genius, we could look out and feel much earlier culture lurking nearby. It is too easy to just call Bruges "magical" but on our first day, as our energy dissipated, I did feel like we were in a fairy land.

Visited September 2012