“Good Food”

De Zandloper TapHouse
Ranked #283 of 768 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Description: A cosy Tap House with a trendy decor located on the corner of the busy 't Zand. Enjoy and spend some time on the sunny terrace, and taste one of the 18 beers on draft.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The restaurant is not on the main tourist thoroughfare, and is well worth the jaunt away from the well worn path. The restaurant is obviously run by a family who loves their food and restaurant. It is frequented by locals which is always a good sign! They did not look down on us for speaking English either - to say they were warm and welcoming would be an understatement.

The restaurant is well decorated, clean and there are lovely personal touches at every turn. With many tourist restaurants, the decorations are run-down and dusty but this place is obviously loved and cleaned.

The food! The food is solid. My partner and I both ordered the steaks. I ordered mine rare but it came out medium rare which I did not mind but if you are that particular - bear that in mind. The cut was lean and the peppercorn sauce was well done. The salad was fresh and yummy. The house red wine was smooth and easy to drink. The lovely waitress (who may be a granddaughter) had no issue with helping us translate the dessert menu. I had waffles and ice cream. The waffle was lovely and light and the ice cream was nice with a delicious chocolate sauce.

If this place was down the road from my house, we would be regulars.

1  Thank HAGustin

Reviewed January 28, 2013

After being disappointed at the food on offer at other establishments, and several clearly very "touristy" stumbling on De Zandloper was almost an oasis.

1  Thank narx
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Having walked up & down past all the restaurants, & looking at the blackboard specials,we opted for this one,it seemed to have a few locals.My husband had the salad starter,which was aged packet leaves,(brown stalks)with tiny pieces of chopped 'ham',more like spam..l had the soup,thin watery packet type minestrone...for the main my husband had a small piece of salmon & chips,was ok,lesser quality than l'd serve at home,l had steak & chips,the meat didnt taste good at all,the 'dessert was a ramekin sized pot of what looked like plain custard type pud,which we declined,coffee was offered as a substitute,which we refused,we''d had enough of the place..this cost 39.95Euro's (including a sm beer & a coke)! Terrible quality,not a nice place to eat at all,added to the fact we had a local at the next table coughing up everything on his chest!ugh...We paid up & left sharp &,won't return!

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I think we have been spoiled by all the excellent food we have eaten in France this past month. We have been to Bruges many times and have not ever had a good meal. The food has always consisted of plastic chips and overcooked meat. This restaurant has not changed our minds. We started well enough with a pleasant broccoli soup. I then had tasteless salmon in a gloopy yellow sauce with the inevitable chips. My husband had Flemish stew with 'salad'. Desert was cold custard with broken biscuit on top. All in all not a good culinary experience.

1  Thank buster205
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband and I were away with Della C and her husband and all four of us thoroughly enjoyed our evening at this restaurant. It has a family run feel to it with excellent service - a very unassuming restaurant thet truly delivers on all counts and extremely reasonably priced. I would highly recommend it and I am glad that through us it is now on Trip Advisor for the benefit of others to enjoy as much as we did.

1  Thank MADABOUTANIMALS