“Cute hotel - Wish we could have stayed longer!”
Review of Hotel Patritius

Hotel Patritius
Ranked #25 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed January 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I visited Bruges and stayed at the Hotel Patritius for 1 night in Oct 2009. I wish we would have stayed longer! Bruges is such a cool town and the Hotel Patritius was very nice. We found the hotel in a Rick Steves 2009 Brussels, Amsterdam and Bruge Guidebook.
The hotel used to be a mansion. Each room is decorated very nice and has a very cozy feel. We had an en suite bathroom that was much larger than the traditional European bathrooms.
Great location for this hotel.
Breakfast was excellent. The owners put out the regular breakfast items but will also serve you hot eggs upon request. The coffee machine was very nice.

2  Thank dsmtravelgal
There are newer reviews for Hotel Patritius

Reviewed December 29, 2009

If you would like to spend some time in this beautiful city we feel that you will be well served staying at this hotel. It is a very short walk to the central areas of the city and is in a quiet location.

The hotel is a very elegant property having spacious rooms with high ceilings, and most of the period detail has been retained throughout. The bedroom was very large and had a well fitted en-suite bathroom, both of which were well presented and spotlessly clean. All the normal facilities were found in the room or were available from reception.

The continental breakfast buffet is of a good standard. Eating in the large stylish and relaxed dining room only added to the quality.

The two owners provide almost all of the service and they are welcoming, charming, attentive, helpful and talented linguists; their contribution made our stay delightful and that was in spite of the "Eurostar" problems that had a knock-on effect of wiping out their Christmas reservations without compensation.

There was nothing about this hotel we did not like and will use it again when we continue our exploration of this medieval city.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kjmicm
Reviewed November 24, 2009

My husband and I spent three nights at the hotel and I felt like I was in heaven. I researched hotels through this site and also tour books. I made the right choice and my husband agrees. We drove in and had GPS luckily and found the parking area first. The owner came out and helped us park as it is a tight fit. He helped to carry our bags and we actually came up through the garden area (must be lovely in the summer). I can only echo the sentiments of the writers before me. The hotel is a beautiful very old mansion, there since the 1500s actually, as that is how old the wooden beams are which graced the room we had. I reserved a smaller room and dont know the number of the room, but it was on the corner of the second floor with the window overlooking the garden and the sculptured rooftops of Bruges. It was papered in blue toile with matching drapes and coverlet. Beautiful. I checked out the larger room but nothing to me was as pretty as the blue toile room. The bed was perfect and we slept like babies. The bathroom was modern and perfect. There is a safety deposit box (I never travel with anything valuable tho) a stocked fridge and a lovely writing desk. Reading lights above both sides of bed.
Used the computer in the office for 2 euros. Elevator lift if you dont want to take the steps. I must say the curved staircase is wonderful to walk down though...very dramatic. The breakfast room is patrician and reeks of class. A super coffee, latte, cappuchino, mocha whatever you want-maker machine is a conversation starter with the guests as it can be a challenge to use initially (really, there is only a button to push)--but it makes great fresh coffee. Delish pastries of flaky butter and chocolate and raisins abound as well as plain croissants and various types of hard fresh crusty rolls. Wonderful cheeses including brie accompany various types of meats as well as eggs done to suit you! There is yogurts and cereals and the best part is the very fresh fruit salad made by the missus. I appreciate the time and effort she goes through every morning to produce this. It must take a couple of hours for the amount she makes to feed all of her guests. And you get to listen to Mozart while you eat. I loved it. Did not care for the restaurant whose brochure is in the foyer though...Mozarthuys was not that good and service blah. It is one of the touristy places located near the fish market. Go, walk, or run to Cambrinus (Philipstockstraat) for a most satisfying meal and memories. Carlitos, which is around the corner on Hoogstraat is also fine for pasta - ate well there.
I can't wait to return again. With the chocolates, the beer and the beauty....I really felt like I was in heaven.

3  Thank Elcie
Reviewed November 17, 2009

my wife and i recently spent 4 nights in this hotel on our honeymoon. the location is ideal for everything, in a quiet street only 5mins walk to the market square, it is a small family run hotel but i have to say it is one of the nicest hotels i have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. the rooms are so comfortable, well furnished, spacious and bathrooms ideal. the decor in the rest of the hotel fits in perfectly with the city of bruges, luxurious, classy and lovely. the breakfast is ideal, a good selection of cold meats, cereals, pastry and rolls with a choice of cooked eggs and juice as well as a coffee and tea making machine. the owners are most welcoming, helpful and go out of their way to make your stay a wonderful one. i would recommend this hotel to anyone, families, honeymoooners or anyone needing a break from the hustle and bustle of life.
simply outstanding

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gmacracing
Reviewed November 15, 2009

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Patritius for four nights, after reading reviews on TripAdvisor, and had a thoroughly memorable holiday. The hotel is on a quiet side-street, only 5 minutes walk to Burg and the Markt - the main areas of Bruges. The hotel itself is well-furbished and elegant - a lovely old townhouse. The spiral staircase leading up out of reception was particularly appealing.

We got a special rates deal via Booking.com and as a result we were in what seemed to be the smallest room in the hotel, room 34, on the second floor overlooking the garden. However, the room was still bigger than many and was beautifully decorated with lovely exposed beams across the ceiling. The bathroom was pretty big, and had recently been renovated. Top-notch shower, too.
The owners were really welcoming; the breakfast was fresh, lots of choice and endless coffee. Would return to this hotel without question - absolutely brilliant.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I'll start with saying I wish we could have stayed longer, Bruges was the best part of our Belgium trip and Hotel Patritius was the icing on the cake.

On our way to Brugues we had some traffic and arrived very late. The owner of the hotel stayed in the reception and waited for us and even took our car to the parking (which is infact right on the other side of the hotel but with Brugues' oneway streets it is not easy to navigate).

We were lucky to find this hotel, scrambling to find accomodation only a day before arriving and with a few specific requirements.
While ordering by phone we requested two adjacent rooms with twin beds and an -empty- minibar (these simple requests were sometimes ignored by even expensive luxurious hotels) and upon arriving we were very happy to see our requests were met perfectly.

The rooms were simply beautiful, even luxurious. They were both very large, each twin bed was huge (in other hotels this size is considered a double bed for a couple).
Everything was well designed, even the hallway with chairs and a small armoire filled with toiletries and towels.

The bathrooms were perfect. Two sinks, heating right below the towel rack, a magnifying mirror and hairdryer.

Breakfast was pretty good, they make your eggs any way you request and there is even an advanced coffee machine to use as you wish. The only fault we found in the entire hotel was there was no vegetables available, but they compensated with a fresh fruit salad.

Unfortunatly the wi-fi Internet only works in the lobby, however there is a private area with sofas and newspapers.

The hotel is located in the old Brugues city, a few minutes away from the major squares and attractions.

In conclusion, don't miss Hotel Patritius when you visit beautiful Brugues.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Excellent location close enough to centre but on a quiet street. Hotel very clean throughout with spacious room and bathroom.Lovely breakfast and very helpfull, whilst not intrusive ,owners.Definitely would recommend and return ourselves.