“A fine place to stay when visiting Brugge”
Review of Hotel Patritius

Hotel Patritius
Ranked #26 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This charming hotel is owned and operated by Garrett & Elvi Spaey. It is a small hotel in a quiet neighborhood with a very comfortable atmosphere. Our room was large, airy and everything worked. The bed was large and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The breakfast was varied with a good selection of cereals, meats, cheeses, breads and many other choices. Each morning Garrett would ask us how we would like our eggs prepared.

The hotel was always very helpful in suggesting places to visit and to make reservations. There is a very cozy reading room where you can read or do the internet on your own devices. There is a separate room for the hotel's computer for guests.

We stayed at Hotel Patritius for five days and enjoyed it very much. I highly recommend this hotel for couples and families as it is very comfortable, quiet and close to almost everything.

Room Tip: Do an upgrade to a deluxe room to get additional space.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wolfe_Photography

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Bruges is full of hotels, but the Patritius stands out. It is located in an 1840s mansion, with a wonderful hall, curved staircase, tall ceilings, and nice architectural details. Our room was on the second floor (if Americans are counting; otherwise the first floor) and had a lovely view out the back over the garden. The furnishings were both attractive and comfortable, and the bathroom was completely new. Breakfast offered the usual buffet choices, plus eggs cooked to order, in a really gorgeous and well lit space (the original dining room). Other advantages: The hotel has a tiny elevator, so you don't have to lug your bags up the steps. Parking is available at an extra charge. There is a pretty garden out back, where you can sit if the weather is nice. And the hotel is just a few minutes walk away from the Markt and other sights.

Room Tip: The view out the back is especially nice. Ceilings are higher on the second floor than the third flo...
1  Thank Wanderlust777
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My wife and I returned from Bruges several days ago after spending three days. The Hotel Patritius is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are large with large bathrooms and comfortable furnishings. Rooms 35 and 38 are excellent. The staff was warm and very helpful. They have an excellent continental breakfast and afternoon tea/coffee. The hotel is approximately two or three blocks from the square and bell tower and about a 9 euro ride from the train station (ten minutes). If only all hotels in Europe were as nice as this one !

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We arrived in Bruges a little after midnight after a long flight from San Diego, layover in Munich, and train ride from Brussels. When we emerged from the train station it was foggy and i was so happy to see cabs lined up! The cab fair from the train station to the hotel is 16 euros (the cab fair on the return ride is only 10 euros because you do not hit the train station exiting light). The hotel owner was so kind and stayed up to greet us and take our information. I could tell he was tired, but he still had a smile on his face. I booked directly through the hotel because the rates were compatible to third party websites. I booked a Superior Double/Twin room and it was wonderful! The rate was only 125 euro/night and it included a great breakfast. We got into the room (small two person lift that fits luggage) and I fell in love with the wallpaper. There was a large closet, two chairs, desk, and table. The tv was small and I never had a reason to turn it on. The internet is free, but only works in the dining room/lobby (basically floor 0). We were either in room 34 or 35 and had a street view. The room had two large windows that opened for a nice breeze. When I stuck my head out I could see the tip top of the bell tower peeking through the rooftops.

I would highly recommend this hotel. I was thankful to find a hotel that was clean, close to the city center (historic center), well-priced, adn included breakfast. I have said in other reviews that I love a good Hilton, but this was perfect or Brugges. The city is magical and this hotel completed the trip.

Breakfast: Be ready to eat! I stocked on in the morning so we snacked throughout the afternoon on waffles and fries. I had options of cereal, sandwiches (make our own from meat/cheese selection), croissants, breads, yogurts, fruit, and juice. The dining room is elegant yet comfortable. If you are a coffee lover like my boyfriend you will love the large espresso machine.

Location: It only takes 5 minutes to walk to the City hall/museum and 10 minutes to the Bell tower and I'm talking a stroll. If you fast walked it would only take 5 minutes to get to the Bell Tower. There are restaurants all around and the owner is more than willing to make suggestions.

I am a big fan of windmills and the hotel is strategically located between the historic center and the four windmills along the river.

I do not have the pictures right now, but I will post them later.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel earlier in the month for our 10th wedding anniversary. Hotel owners were very warm and welcoming throughout the stay. Hotel had an old fashioned charm and lovely garden for guests to sit in.
Rooms were tastefully decorated. Beds comfortable and room and en-suite spotless. Plenty of towels were provided and rooms cleaned each morning.
Flat screen TV was provided, although not all channels available as they were switching to digital at the time of stay.
Breakfast was self-service and a good choice of cereals, breads, cakes, cheeses and cold meats. Coffee machine for use of guests was provided, which we especially enjoyed! We were offered cooked scrambled or boiled eggs each morning also. House was conveniently appointed near the main square and beautifully decorated in period style. Would have loved to have stayed longer!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We've been lucky with hotels in Bruges, this one did not disappoint.

Good welcome and attention from the reception... Comfortable room and very quiet...Good recommendations for restaurant. Breakfast more than satisfactory. Clean throughout. And tastefully decorated.

Recommended

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel has large rooms, delicious breakfast in a beautiful setting, a pretty little garden and is very close to all the wonderful things you'll want to see in Bruges. The couple who own/run the hotel are friendly, warm and very helpful. It's also a great value.