“nice but noisy ....”
Review of Jacobs Hotel

Jacobs Hotel
Ranked #78 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great location , great decor , amazing breakfast ...Only 10 minutes stroll to the sights, free parking outside , friendly staff , breakdast even included pancakes , We got a room close to the stairs on the 1st floor , nice room but very noisy as guests returned from the town during the night could be heard chatting as they went to their rooms and also the guy in the room next door snoring loudly was also easily heard , Sleep quality was'nt great as a result but nice room, good bed and big shower ...

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the stairs
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Jacobs Hotel

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel is in a nice quiet square looking over the church. The rooms are a good size, clean and well decorated. It is a short walk to the Belfry past the Choco museum and canals. For food you are best off finding somewhere in the city centre but the receptionist is helpful and will point you in the direction of the best places for shopping, eating and drinking. I would stay here again if I visit again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights this weekend just gone and were very impressed. The rooms were beautiful, it was easy to find and the staff were very helpful.
They were friendly, jokey and helped enormously with the logistics of leaving Bruges.
Not too far from the main market square but through some small back roads so having a map helped!
Having read some reviews that were unhappy with the 'tourist tax' I did some research and it is a legitimate thing- €2.50 per person per night, payable at the end. Had I not researched and been expecting it I imagine it would come as quite a surprise!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Remixyourbrain
Reviewed April 22, 2013

With the Markt just 10 minutes walk south along the pretty canals of Bruges, this hotel has a terrific location. If you walk away in the other direction, you will soon come upon the beautiful windmills at the eastern edge of the city. The hotel itself is neat and clean, rather bijou, does its job with few frills or pretensions. Internet is available - thank God for the free wifi. There's a lesson there for the larger hotel chains and the ripoff American hotels. Breakfast could be better admittedly, but overall I have no hesitation in recommending this place.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I booked a room for 3 nights in early February at this hotel without looking at the reviews (which I normally do). I, subsequently, looked at the reviews and was bit worried, prior to my visit, that I might have made a mistake. Fortunately, this was not the case.

STAFF:
I arrived late(ish) and was welcomed by a man who I assumed was the manager. He was very friendly and gave me advice and directions on where to go to eat that evening. I had no further interractions with any members of staff until my departure and, having read the reviews, was prepared for the 'Tourist Tax'. The lady at the reception was quite friendly and booked me a taxi without any problems.

ACCOMMODATION:
I was quite surprised at the standard of the room which was very nice. Having read some of the more negative reviews, I can only assume that some rooms are better than others. The only problem that I experienced was that I was unfortunate to be in the next room to a child who appeared to be practicing tap dancing or gymnastics first thing each morning. His parents were obviously used to this as they had their own room further up the corridoor.

LOCATION:
I found the area around the hotel to be quite charming and enjoyed my daily walks along the canal into the main part of town. I am disabled but did not find the distance too far.

I did not attend breakfast (I'm not a breakfast person) so I cannot comment on the quality, etc.

All in all, I found my time there to be pleasant so would consider staying there on a future trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I'll get the negatives out of the way first, the 'Tourist Tax' appeared as we were checking out, but to be fair to the lady on reception she said that some companies pay it some don't. Legally (according to the Brugge Tourist board) the taxes should be included in the price, but the company i booked with said that the hotel collect it themselves, who's telling the correct story is anyone's guess. The room we had didn't have a shower curtain and therefore the floor became wet when we had a shower, which could have been hotter and there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. They are the only faults I could find. The staff were friendly and helpful, told us various places to eat, where banks are situated, live music venues etc and even changed the time for us on the parking permit. The rooms were spotless and comfortable, breakfast was nice and plentiful, a buffet style with meats, cheese and pastries as well as the usual cereals and toast, tea, coffee and juice. Its in a quiet part of town which means a walk wherever you go, but after a few beers and something to eat that is not a bad thing and its not as far as it looks on the map. The reason I have put 'check your booking' as the title is because i booked as B&B. The conformation e-mail confirmed that taxes had 'been paid' yet when we came to check out there was the question of this 'tourist or city tax' and according to the hotels conformation, we had booked on a 'room only' basis, so before you travel, if you have booked via the internet make sure that the conformation e-mails states that you have paid all taxes and that you are B&B or whatever.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The room was cozy and the neighborhood very quaint, but the staff was less than helpful. We arrived late so we were given the code to the front door to let ourselves in. Thank goodness it worked since there was no one working who could have helped. Our room did not get cleaned the next day because they didn't know we were there. Breakfast does not start until 8:30, this is also when the front desk staff shows up. We needed a taxi at 7:30 to catch a train and luckily found a member of the kitchen staff to help. Neither of us could figure out the hotel phone so the kitchen girl used her own phone to call us a taxi. We called the "emergency" number because we blew a fuse in the bathroom, we left a message and got no return call. Thank god it wasnt' a real emergency!

Room Tip: Plan ahead any needs with the staff the night before.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple