Hotel de Goezeput
$104
$96
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewstrain stationgreat locationtop floorold buildingminute walkexposed beamssingle roomcontinental breakfastcroissantscharming hotelenjoyed our staybreadquiet streetpleasant stayold world charmstayed two nightscity centre
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Great place for single travelers. The downstairs bar is nice after a long day of walking around. There are multiple restaurants and bars within a couple minute walk from the hotel. Staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: Parking is almost a half mile away from hotel. There is no parking shuttle but it is nice walking thru scenic road to the hotel. Parking is 3.50euros every 24 hours
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Steven T
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hotel was a mixture of old and modern. We found staff very friendly, breakfast was basic, but good. Room was warm and lovely. Close to the cathedral, and everything was so easy to get to. Very reasonable price and I would happily go there again. Only complaint would be soundproofing of rooms, we had quite a loud couple next door to us, who were noisy after enjoying nightlife and alcohol.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayne T
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I've just returned from a fantastic long weekend in Bruges. Much research was done prior to booking our hotel and with the fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor for Hotel de Goezeput coupled with its central location, it felt like a no brainer to book it. If you're thinking of staying here, you may find the following information of interest.

We travelled by Eurostar and on arrival in Bruges found the hotel really very easily. It's about a 10 minute walk from the station and located on what initially seems like a quiet backwater of a street (Goezeput Straat). We were arriving late and so I did have to liaise with the hotel prior to arrival and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is a former monastery and is quite small. It has a huge wooden staircase (a very creaky one at that) leading up to the main rooms. There is also a very welcoming bar area with a fire and is also the area where breakfast is served.

We stayed in Room 4 which was tiny although I don't think it was the smallest of their rooms? The shower and toilet is in a 'tardis' type setting within the room and if you were 'curvaceous' would struggle to manoeuvre! The sink is in the main room area. The building is obviously old and I appreciate that there may be issues with plumbing, but it was soon apparent that the toilet system wasn't quite as it should be. Lets say that only No'1's were allowed in our hotel room for fear of blocking the entire system and flooding the room. The water levels in the loo constantly rose higher than they should. We did report this and the hotel staff were very helpful in getting someone to take a look at the pump, but the situation didn't improve for us. Whenever any of the other guests flushed a toilet in their room, it seemed that our toilet began to 'talk' or rather gurgle. Loudly. This happened regularly during the night (and woke me up a lot).

The decor is modern however, and although bijou the room was fine for our needs as really it was just a base! On the first night, the room was quite warm so we opened the window and this resulted in me getting no sleep whatsoever as along with the 'talking toilet' and the 'creaky staircase' the 'quiet' back water street isn't actually that quiet and I was woken up numerous times (no one seems to sleep in Bruges) by people dragging their trollies along the cobbled street, vehicles tearing down the road or just by people talking / screaming loudly on their way past. I think the noise level is increased due to the fact that the streets are small and narrow with buildings either side. Noise just bounces off everywhere.

The rooms have wooden floors and with the wooden stair case there isn't much sound proofing. I think we just happened to stay on a weekend where other guests didn't really care if they woke everyone else up, but as they climbed the creaky staircase at 3am onwards, talking loudly and 'shusshing' each other, I did lie awake and wonder if I'd get any sleep over the three nights I was staying there!

That aside, I didn't let it spoil my trip and I can thoroughly recommend Bruges as a weekend trip. I'd highly recommend climbing the 366 steps of the Belfort Tower as you get some fantastic views and also take a walk beyond the main tourist areas along the canals as there are some lovely old streets with beautiful architecture along with the four windmills (I only actually saw three of those).

If you enjoy your food and wine, don't eat in the main Markt area as it's really touristy and the food isn't that special, we found that dining in the restaurants further out were far better and the service was much improved!!

Would I stay again at the Hotel de Goezeput? I would, but I think I'd ask for a room on the top floor!!

Room Tip: Ask for one of their larger rooms and if possible get a top floor room so you won't be woken up by the creaky staircase!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leigh23
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I spent one night in this hotel. The hotel is old, in the bad way. The staff was untrained and unsympathetic. There was one misunderstanding with my reservation and the hotel owner did not behave properly. He was rude and unfriendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Manuel G
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in December 2013 whilst visiting the christmas market. It is situated in a quiet back street (allowing a good night's sleep) but only a 5 minute walk from all the attractions so we found it a perfect location from which to base our trip.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, the continental breakfast was great, we had a lovely bright attic room and there is a cosy bar area with a fire downstairs.
We had our 18 month toddler travelling with us and the hotel was happy to accommodate him, providing us with a cot and a high chair for our stay.
Would definitely stay here again when visiting brugge.

Room Tip: we stayed in one of the attic rooms (room 15). Room was light and airy with a great view. Comfortable beds, clean and quiet. Slept very well!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family