“Old hotel with cold rooms”
Review of Hotel de Goezeput

Hotel de Goezeput
Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I spent one night in this hotel. The hotel is old, in the bad way. The staff was untrained and unsympathetic. There was one misunderstanding with my reservation and the hotel owner did not behave properly. He was rude and unfriendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Manuel G
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Goezeput

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in December 2013 whilst visiting the christmas market. It is situated in a quiet back street (allowing a good night's sleep) but only a 5 minute walk from all the attractions so we found it a perfect location from which to base our trip.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, the continental breakfast was great, we had a lovely bright attic room and there is a cosy bar area with a fire downstairs.
We had our 18 month toddler travelling with us and the hotel was happy to accommodate him, providing us with a cot and a high chair for our stay.
Would definitely stay here again when visiting brugge.

Room Tip: we stayed in one of the attic rooms (room 15). Room was light and airy with a great view. Comfortabl...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank penny b
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife and I (25-30 years old) stayed at this hotel in Bruges this December 2013. The hotel is within walking distance from the train station and very easy to find. This hotel is also with in walking distance to all major attractions and restaurants in Bruges. The owners/operators of the hotel are very very kind and helpful. We were able to check in early because our room was ready. The room was small but nice and cozy. The bathroom was nice as well. The rooms have very high ceilings which I liked because It made the room feel bigger. The only negative feedback I have was that in the room we stayed it was a bit noisy with the street and people coming in and out of the hotel. The building is older but very pretty. Also, the door to the bathroom is a sliding door and you did not feel entirely closed in and private when you went to the bathroom. The bed was not the most comfortable but in my experience in Europe the beds are usually more hard. I also think just the change from not being at home makes sleeping a bit harder during traveling :) The TV we had was small as well but we didn't come to Bruges to watch TV. There were plenty of English channels and the wifi worked very well. The breakfast was included and they had a very nice spread of choices to eat from. Having a breakfast was really a great experience included with this hotel. I really did enjoy this hotel experience and would recommend staying here as it was nice, friendly and very reasonably priced. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Get a larger room if you can afford it :)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the last weekend. We were a group of three (Mum and Dad and daughter of 23 years) visiting Bruges fro the Xmas Market, and the room proved a great base for our trip.
Breakfast was great, lots of good quality ingredients for the typical continental breakfast of croissant, breads, spreads, cheeses and meats.
However, the trip was somewhat marred by the fact that there were problems with the plumbing on our first night! The toilet was blocked and despite our best efforts, we couldn't unblock it. When I reported the issue the following morning, it turned out there was a problem affecting 3 other rooms and the plumber had been called! He soon fixed the issue.
The only other drawback was the lack of any real water pressure in our shower and the fact that it was difficult to regulate. It proved just sufficient to wash properly, but would be improved by a pump.
Beds were really comfy though and the position of the hotel was no more than a 7 minute walk from the centre of Bruges.

Room Tip: Bring your own travel kettle if you want a cuppa in your room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PathManSlough
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed here end of November for 2 nights, very good hotel, clean, good amenities, central location and informative staff. Being a 2 star did not expect toiletries but they were provided, breakfast - good continental, room cleaned to high standard, very old building with modern rooms / bathroom. Would recommend for a weekend break.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2013

A very convenient hotel for the centre of Bruges. It is small but with its own unique character and has unusual rooms with comfortable beds. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is plentiful and varied. The hotel is good value for money and we have used it for a number of years now.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Apparently, the hotel had an error message when they had to charge my credit card for our one-night non-refundable stay. As it was a last minute booking (48h before our arrival), I emailed the hotel the day I booked the room to reconfirm my reservation. They answered back saying everything went through and didn't mention anything about any credit card issues.

It was just a shame that our first few minutes at the hotel were more of an interrogation. The woman at the reception threw a handful of lousy questions at me... like "Do you understand what non refundable means?", "Do you know that we should charge you right away?"... I used the hotel's online reservation system and didn't have any message telling me that my card didn't work! Besides, I showed up and honored my reservation. I could easily use my other card. I read a lot of positive comments about this hotel, especially about the man named Karel... but maybe we weren't lucky as we were welcomed by somebody else?!

Location-wise, the hotel has a good spot... close to the 24h public parking and main tourist points. The room was OK.. though I still find it expensive for it has to offer really. The charm is all about the beams... The toilet is as small as my closet. Impossible to move around, especially if you are with someone who is tall! The heating system is on and off.... they only put it on in the evening. Breakfast is ordinary. Nothing really special.

Bruges is a charming place to visit. Make it more memorable by choosing carefully where to sleep over as it makes the whole experience more wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
karel_lievens, Manager at Hotel de Goezeput, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Hello sir

I'm very sorry you had this experience in The hotel!
Of you read all The reviews we have, you can see, other guests have an other experience....
We work hard every day to do The best for our guests and i Will talk to The girl at The reception!
Kind regards