Academie Hotel
$184
  • Restaurant
$214
2,400 results
All reviewsriviera travellight switchesgood sizetrain stationlovely hotelcobbled streetminnewater parktea and coffeeminute walkreception staffperfect locationshort breakstar hotelhot and cold foodwithin easy walking distancetriple roombuffet breakfast
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this hotel for one night as a romantic birthday present for my partner. We stayed 13th July.

The hotel is reachable by car, and has it's own underground car park, costing €15. However, we didn't book this in advance and on arrival found it to be full. However, the receptionist kindly pointed us in the direction of another underground car park, situated (walking) about 400 yards away. You do have to drive around the one way system to get to it, but once parked up, we left the car and walked everywhere. The cost for 24 hours here was €8.70.

All of the staff were friendly, helpful and spoke very good English. Check in was very easy. The hotel give you a handy map of the city. I had emailed before hand asking for a room with a view of the square. Unbeknown to me, the hotel is not on a square, but we were given a room (201) which is at the top and overlooks the street below. It was lovely hearing the sound of the horse and carts going past.

It isn't the cheapest hotel, but it is in a good location - away from the noise and hustle of the main city centre, but close enough to walk. We paid £110 for the night. This didn't include breakfast. We decided to have breakfast at the hotel (€12.50 each), and there was a nice selection. We would say that the food was okay.

The room was clean, modern and comfortable. The bathroom was equally as nice. We drank in the bar (before and after our night out) and the staff were friendly and the prices very reasonable. In fact, the prices were cheaper than drinking in the neighboring bars and the city.

We ate in the restaurants nearby. Both were reasonably priced (for Bruges) and the food good. Lunch was in Restaurant ‘t Oud Kanthuys, and dinner in 't Minnewater.

The hotel is around a 10 minute walk from the centre but has plenty of chocolate shops and restaurants nearby and en route. In fact, the shops/restaurants were pricier the closer you get to the main square. We recommend taking a boat tour - ours cost €7.80 each and lasted about 30 minutes. It was well worth it. We also visited the Chocolate Museum. This wasn't quite as expected, but was interesting, especially the demonstration and tasting!!

All in all, we had a lovely weekend break. We loved Bruges and would highly recommend this hotel. Should we return, we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel has a great location and Bruges is such a beautiful city that it is worth spending time outside rather than enjoying hotel facilities. Nevertheless the hotel is very clean, the staff is very friendly and a breakfast was a real treat. Rooms are furnished according to standards of any decent chain hotel – it is perfect for a business trip, a weekend away but it lacks a bit of charm for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Acedemie Hotel in Brugges.Therooms was clean,good bed,clean linen and very well positioned in the central of Brugges just off the market Square.they serve breakfast at extra cost.The TV have all international channels and a fridge in the room

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janfourie
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I organised and went on a trip for 44 guests to this hotel in early June 2013. We are a group of retired people, staying for 5 days / 4 nights. The hotel is in a great position – close to canals, shops, bars and restaurants. It’s an easy stroll to Bruges centre – along shop-lined roads.

The hotel is very clean and modern. It has a lovely courtyard at the rear – and this is where we tended to drink. The bar prices were very reasonable. Bedrooms were really nice and included a hair dryer and fridge. Four of my guests were single – they were all given twin / double rooms at no extra cost. Admittedly views from the rooms were not fantastic - but I didn't go to Bruges to look out of a window!

We had breakfast in a lovely room downstairs. There was an excellent choice of breads, meats and cheeses and a small selection of hot items, such as eggs and sausages.

The staff at the hotel were superb. Even before leaving, I raised a few queries with them via email, and got immediate and full responses. Whilst there, they continued to be very helpful, and helped with things such as restaurant reservations.

The Hotel really is very handy for most things you will want to do in Bruges. Within a few minutes walk are: canal trips, horse & carriage trips, Half Moon Brewery (De Halve Maan in Flemish) and many shops, bars and restaurants. Being slightly away from the main square (Markt) means you not only avoid the noise and hassle of large crowds, but also take advantage of cheaper prices - one tip that I picked up from this web site is that food and drink tend to be a lot more expensive in the central square.

A few personal recommendations that I can suggest:
Ribs & Beer Restaurant, Ezelstraat 50, (10 minute walk from central square, 25 mins from Hotel). Grills, steaks, ribs and fish. Ribs - as much to eat as you like for 18 Euros, 3 courses for 25 Euros.

T' Brugsch Bieratelier, Wijngaardstraat 13 - Next door to Hotel – lovely little pub which you could easily walk past. Massive selection of draught beers. 3 taster beers for 8 euros.

2be, 53 Wollestraat – lovely place for a drink and relax on balcony overlooking canals and the city.

Supermarket for cheap beer - Carrefour Express, Katelijnestraat - literally yards from the hotel – turn right out of hotel and right onto main road. Supermarket is a few yards down on the right. Bottles of good Belgian beer from a little as 1 Euro.

Make sure you leave room for a few boxes of Belgium chocolates. Lovely quality and much cheaper than you would imagine. A 250g box of handmade chocolates cost just 4 euros, or 12 – 16 euros for a large 1 kg box. (make sure you shop around, as some charge way more than this). From Hotel – turn left and there is a chocolate museum on your left (never went in), or from Hotel, turn right and left onto main road – Katelijnestraat - loads of reasonably priced chocolate shops along here.

So would we / I go back to this Hotel? From a personal point of view I had a list of things that I wanted to do, and I never got around to many of them – I enjoyed wandering around Bruges that much. I would love to return and would choose this hotel without hesitation. Regarding my passengers – I got many comments about how nice the hotel was and how nice Bruges in general was. Although I never went around them individually for their approval, I am confident when I say:
Number of guests: 44
Number of satisfied customers: 44
Number of complaints: NIL

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bernie757
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After long searches i finally found and booked this hotel. there were some negative remarks but the majority were good. i am so glad we booked the place. it is in one word...BRILLIANT. the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to help. the room was large and very clean. the bed was a queen size and extremely comfortable. The bath was a good size and the shower was powerful. The breakfast was so good i think i put on weight. There was plenty of choice of cold and hot breakfast. This hotel is simply brilliant. Close to all the attractions, Brugges is not big anyway. Only a slow tem minute walk from the railway station. Cannot thank the staff enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple