“Great Location, Great Room, Great price”
Review of Academie Hotel

Academie Hotel
Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We (3 women) really loved are stay in Bruges and highly recommend the Academie Hotel! We thought the room was a good size with 3 comfortable beds. The location was nice because it is on an interesting street, close to where ever we wanted to go, yet not in the center of the tourist bustle. On arrival, we took a taxi from the train station for 5€ and on departure walked to the train in 10 minutes.
We enjoyed a canal cruise from the St John Hospital (quick walk from Hotel) and suggest a visit to the Chocolate Line at Simon Stevinplein 19 for some unforgettable treats!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,343)

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights at the academie hotel. Hotel was fine, clean and we found staff very helpful. The hotel is ideally situated when visiting Bruges, a short walk from both the train station and the city centre and within waking distance of all the main attractions. Breakfast was adequate and you will not starve! If and when we return to Bruge I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank john philip l
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Whilst I enjoyed my stay at the Academie I objected to paying a supplement of £95 to occupy a single room for 3 nights . The hotel management say that it not their fault but Riviera Travel.
, who in turn claim that is the hotel?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank jim m
Reviewed March 21, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is it's central location and short walk from the main tourist attractions. The hotel itself claims to be 4 star but realistically it is a very average 3 star. We were staying in the new section and I would recommend when booking that you ask for a room in this newer part. The room was small but adequte, it was comfortable and looked like it had been recently redecorated and furnished. Double bed, table and 2 chairs, a TV and an adequte bathroom/shower. Not a place for a long stay as it could become claustrophobic. I don't drink tea/coffee which is just as well cos you get on etea bag, one sugar stick and no milk in the room kit. Receptionists were friendly, helpful and efficient and the bar is open from 8 until midnight which in the context of Bruges (everywhere is closed by 10 pm) is a late night venue. The breakfast was not as bad as I expected from other reviews, of course there is a lot can be done to improve it but the muesli was good with a selction of seeds and dried fruit. The breakfast juice was undrinkable and I suspect came from some sort of concentrate/crystals. For some reason the fresh bananas were sliced in thirds and the oranges into quarters. There are a lot of "DO NOT" rules about the place - don't take food from the breakfast room, don't take beverages from the breakfast room, don't use the kettle in your room for anything other than making tea? or else you face a €20 fine - what is all that about. Overall I would recommend this hotel for a short stay but anything longer that 2/3 days look elsewhere.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R C
Reviewed March 19, 2012

A good hotel almost in the heart of Brugge, so very convenient. Basic but spotless and comfortable. Lacks a little with no Internet access, they rely on the city wide system which isn't working at the moment. I didn't eat there but they have cold Belgium beer so what more could you want, and it's surrounded by good restaurants.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Longine
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I wanted a weekend trip to Bruges without a huge price tag. This place was it. I booked through hotels.com and got it for $150 US dollars including all fees except breakfast. The room was small, but clean and the staff was very knowledgeable and kind. My only problem was our room was booked as a "city view" and it was an inner courtyard and we were next to the elevator. The elevator made a strange sound that kept my husband up during the night. I put a pillow over my face and didn't hear it. My 2 year-old slept on a Murphy bed and didn't hear the elevator either.
Overall, I would book here again because of the price and AMAZING location!
The breakfast was overprices for the scant offerings. Next time, we will decline.

Room Tip: Avoid elevator rooms and the breakfast.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Barb T
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Negative reviews were out-of-date. We felt them unwarranted and misleading. It's a well located hotel, the room we had was very good and well provided, the breakfasts excellent and the staff more than helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple