“Good frites!”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The frites and mayo were very good - like MacDonalds! However the portions were very big. A small size would be ample if you just wanted some quick chips whilst in the square. Don't expect any service!! We sat upstairs as it was quite cold. The tables hadn't been cleaned and there was rubbish piling up at the bins as the guy behind the counter was on his own!!!

There are newer reviews for Friterie 1900

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Rude staff. They had bad service. They messed up our order and would not take it back. They would not give us our money back. Details -- I visited Friterie 1900 with my best friend. We are Americans. They have various sauces for their fries. We asked for American Ketchup, as a large plastic bottle was labeled that way. The man started yelling at us that they don't call it American ketchup. It is called student ketchup. We said okay student ketchup please, though my friend and I are 38 year old women. I saw the service woman go for the wrong ketchup and I said so immediately. The service woman ignored me and said you get what you paid for. On her recipe it said Curry ketchup. She had smothered our fries with the stuff. Even though I tried to stop her at the ketchup pump. The jar labeled American ketchup was right next to the Curry ketchup. She yelled at us to take what we paid for. We didn't want to cause a scene, so we took the fries. The man who took our order just stared at us with a smirk. We had no idea why this even happened, but needless to say we both hated the spicy ketchup and didn't eat our fries and just left. I didn't bother to complain more, because the woman who gave us our fries was already yelling at us before we could hardly make a complaint, and we had onlookers. So, I decided to forget about it, being the more aggressive one of me and my friend. I just wanted to have a good time in Bruges. But Belgium fries are the best, I've heard, and it is sad our experience was ruined based on a woman who looked like a Viking and had the manners of a cave woman, yelling at us. In fact just as we walked in, she was yelling at someone else. We should have turned back then. But I figured I would definitely let all of you innocent people traveling to Bruges know that Friterie 1900 does not treat its customers well.
I think I cannot find a website or phone number because they probably don't want to take complaints.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We ate a snack of frites and saucisse here only because it was too cold to eat from the outdoor vendors in the Market. Big mistake. Poor frites and a saucisse that could have been made of anything. The hygiene is poor as the server lifted the saucisse with her bare hand. Ketchup is extra and salt was handed over grudgingly. We were the only ones eating there. Only sorry I hadn't read the reviews before we went there. Do yourself a favour and avoid Friterie 1900. What a waste of a prime location.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This place looked like ur normal greasy fried food take away place you would expect to be open late and serve pretty bog standard chips and mediocre burgers for a reasonably cheap price, but your wrong! the service is unashambly poor, the grumpy woman who served us was rude and snappy with the service, and even put the wrong sauce on my chips. I ordered a small portion of chips with ketchup and when we got home found there was nearly more ketchup in there than chips! and the kechup was curry flavoured! not to everyones taste! and impossible to scrape off as my chips where swimming in it! for nearly 10euro we got i medium burger n chips and one small chips. wasnt worth a euro of it! i couldnt even eat my chips there where so chewy and rubbish, mc donalds are gourmet compared to these chips. My bf ate his but he was starving! but he also complained the burger was ruff and the meat unidentable. Really wish we had given it a miss.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

this is a real tourist trap, fries are weigh too expensive. Don't eat at the market square is the best tip for everybody. Better fries at a better price in 't Brugs Friethuys only a few meters further on the corner of the egg market and noordzandstraat