“Location excellent, Hotel disappointing!”
Review of Hotel Passage

Hotel Passage
Ranked #88 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Scotland
“Location excellent, Hotel disappointing!”
Reviewed August 14, 2009

The place has the potential to be excellent with a bit of money spent on it. However the smell is something else....... The en-suite shower rooms had a variety of ill fitting doors - even no doors! We wonder if we were bitten by bed bugs as we all suffered from bites on our bodies. The furniture was far from modern and some of the beds weren't even level. The breakfast was a mean disgrace with warm milk for the one and only cereal. The coffee was tepid at 9:00am. There was one small toaster which was on its last days..........need i say any more. The "butter" was a cross between a mousse and a marg. There was felt on the staircase - not carpet. There was also mould in one of the bedrooms on the ceiling. Some staff were friendly some were surly....... Guido was very friendly but an exception. The towels were similar to a dog's drying towel - ragged and even had holes!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manchester
Reviewed April 3, 2009

We stayed in the Hotel part not the Hostel part. For the money I think this is a great hotel. Yes there is a smell from the shared shower but this can only be smelt on the round floor. The rooms are not as flash as the photos on their website but that is not a huge shock.

The location is fantastic. Every where in Bruges is no more than 10 minutes away but from the hotel every thing is only 5-6 minutes away. The bar / restaurant which is next door(with the Hostel) is great and I highly recommend the Flemish Beef Stew.

The only thing that really upset me about the hotel is the booking. There is no way to book online and they want you to email your credit card details to secure a booking. I am not happy about doing this and had I had more time to find some where else I would have because of this one thing. That said I am glad I stayed there now.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA USA
Reviewed December 15, 2008

The location and the price of this hotel are great. The smell, however, was pretty awful. The room (and the hotel in general) smelled of sewage (we stayed in the hotel portion, with a private room). If this problem were fixed I could easily give this hotel a much better review.

• Liked — Location, Price
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Bruges hotels

Paris
Reviewed August 12, 2008

My stay at this hotel was a nightmare. I found their address in the travel guide "Évasion : Bruges et la région flamande" in French and will contact the guide to advice them NOT to mention Passage anymore.

My friend and I, we booked two nights in a women's dorm (4 beds) for 14 € per night per bed, breakfast not included. My friend have chosen to pay an extra 5 € for breakfast ; I felt already uncomfortable at the reception desk, so I didn't.

After paying for two nights in advance, we went upstairs to the dorm : stinky, sink was leaking, sheets already on the bed. We asked for a key to close our room and the receptionist said they won't give us a key because we're staying with two other women and apparently there is only one key per room... But we shouldn't worry, they're always in control of the situation...

There are toilets at the same floor, not specifically for men and women, and two bad-working showers, also not separated. Everything in there is slightly smelly and the toilets just dirty.
The door of our dorm didn't fit into the door frame, so there was constant light in the room from the corridor during the night, not to mention the noise. We both couldn't sleep.

In the morning we've decided to leave the place. My friend tried to have her prepaid breakfast, it was disgusting according to her. We asked for the reimbursement of our second night and they refused.

10 hours after we left the hotel, red spots appeared on my skin all over the body, terribly itching. They became more and more, swelling. I first thought that it's an allergy to something I've eaten (I am usually not allergic to any food) but then realized those were stitches from insects - bedbugs !!! As my skin was getting worse all the time, I've decided to go to the emergency service in a hospital in Antwerp, where they kept me for an hour and a half, giving me an injection to relief the itching, a cortisone perfusion and a Zyrtec pill.

My friend who left a day earlier back to Paris, came to pick me up at the train station, full of big red spots all over her body. So this was definitely the proof that it was not a food allergy.

Needless to say, I do not recommend this place. I actually warn people to stay there. I would be very grateful if somebody who reads this could help me finding the address of a hygiene office in Belgium so I could report this place dangerous for public health.

• Liked — quite central
  • Disliked — bedbugs (punaises, Bettwanzen), total lack of a minimum of comfort,
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Norwich
Reviewed April 9, 2008

11 of us stayed in the hostel for one night. We had a room for 4 and a room for 7. Rooms were basic but clean, the sink in the room was a bonus. Had no problems with booking and checking in. Staff were friendly and helpful. Showers and toilets were adequate, clean, but a little smelly! At 14 Euro per bed we couldnt have gone wrong! Location was brilliant, a 5min walk from the market. This hostel is okay for a 1-2 night stay and handy for large groups. Any longer, you might want to look for a little more luxury!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Wolves
Reviewed April 8, 2008

If you want luxury you have to pay for it and we certainly got what we paid for. The hotel is small, clean and very central, however, very basic. The rooms was ok and clean. The bed reasonable and the pillows very thin. One of our thin towels had been visited by a moth judging by the holes in it. The shower needs a button to be pressed to turn the water on and you have to press every few seconds or stand there cold and dry! Room 15 which we had was an almost vertical climb in the semi dark.
The associated hostel was above the restaurant and you get the occasional noises, but nothing to complain about.
The restaurant is good with cheap and tasty food. The staff were friendly and helpful.
Theres a good underground and well lit (with CCTV) carpark across the road.
Bruges is great and we had a great weekend until a frenchman drove into the side of our car!
There will be better hotels but you will pay for them.. On a budget then use this place.

Stayed April 2008
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed January 28, 2008

Do you know what scabies are? I didn't either until the tiny parasites crawled up out of the torn and cigarette burned sheets of Hotel De Passage, layed eggs Under My Skin, and set off a month-long nightmare of expensive doctors visits and medication.

Now, as a low-budget traveller, I've seen some real ratholes. In fact, I've got nothing against honest cheap crummy accomodations until they endanger my health (as well as the health of many others who were also sick in my room). Avoid this place. The money you save on the room will be certainly not as much as you will spend on the rash cream for the bedbugs or other creepy-crawlies.

Oh, and by the way, the service is non-existant and the breakfast is inedible. And if one of the other eight strangers in your room disappears with the (only) room key, you are just out of luck. They will not open the room for you.

• Liked — leaving
  • Stayed July 2007