Hotel Passage
  • Breakfast included
Azalea Hotel(Bruges)
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We arrived jaded after a 10hr journey by car and ferry to a less than enthusiastic reception. After discussing room prices, the Landlady made an errror, providing keys to a 60 Euro room instead of a 45 euro room ( not a big deal in itself ). My partner returned to reception (in a seperate building) to inform her, to which there was a frosty reception and we were issued with keys to a 45 euro room (and instructed to fetch the other keys back and make sure we corrected any bed linen we may have creased!). Unfortunately, the 45 euro room on offer was substandard, badly aired and baking hot on the top floor exposed to sun all afternoon and evening, so we wished to switch to the first room which was located in a cooler spot within the hotel and cost the full 60 euro.

The landlady was beside herself with irritation at having to alter a bit of paperwork re this, bearing in mind we were actually going to pay more!! It transpired that this room, though marginally accepably decorated had a large, unbearable musty damp patch located next to the shower room in a fitted wardrobe (so nowhere suitable to hang clothes) and there was a foul stench of sewerage.

Food was average. The waiters/bar staff were 'gothic', slightly hostile, surly and basically seemed resentful of tourists ( bearing in mind we are all tourists at some point!). Checked in for 4 nights had to check out after one. All things considered, completey unacceptable. My advice is to shop around on arrival in Bruges which won't take long and you'll find a warm welcoming B+B which will be much better value for money and will most likely have a t.v in the room, won't stink of drains and damp, the food will be top notch and the welcome friendly!!! Trust me.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank goldenstarlet
Reviewed July 28, 2007

Unfortunately we didn't know about this hotel beforehand. We already booked another hotel but as we were looking for a nice restaurant we found de Passage!
The atmosphere and the people working there were real nice and then the food...it was a blessing. The vegetarian Lasagne and the fish waterzooi, AND the most delicious chocolate pie I ever ate were a reason to remember this place for our next trip to Brugge!

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed June 29, 2007

Spent a nite here and chose the shared bathroom which seemed pretty clean (didn't use it). Showers are downstairs and in it's own female/male room. La Passage is clean and has the essentials for a night's rest. Clean and new carpets it seems. Sink in room, quite nice.

We stayed alone on our floor and we were lucky in that regards. It's pretty obvious that the walls are super thin and when the other rooms close or shut their doors, you WILL hear it and that would not be good at night when they need to use the toilet, etc. It's an older building so you'll hear the creeking etc. And you will hear ppl talking next door.

Otherwise, if you stay from a Mon-Thursday you may luck out and have your own floor. I mean, it's 45 euros...only. Check out some pics I took to share.

Breakfast is minimal but includes bread, plain yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, OJ, and in a nice dim lit restaurant.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We didn't stay here but ate in the restaurant. We had a great meal with beer for about 40 euros for two of us - great value. We paid and left. The following day it dawned on me that I had given a note for 200 euro and had only been given change for 100. This induced in me a cold sweat and a feeling of panic. I couldn't believe I hadn't checked my change. We returned to plead our case. I wasn't optimistic. The owner said she hadn't checked the tills but would contact me in two hours. I thought this was a polite fob off. Later we arrived back at our hotel to find a message asking us to return to pick up the 100 euros!

On returning the owner was most apologetic and said that the tills were indeed 100 euros over. She handed over the note but suggested we use some of it to buy her waiter some new glasses. Great! Needless to say we returned to spend some of that money on more good food. Yet again they were most apologetic even though I had a hand in the cock-up.

Incidentally the food is basic Flemish - wholesome, tasty and filling. Waterzooi (chicken or fish), Flemish Stew (steak and ale), and Witloof were all very good.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Holfy
Reviewed October 16, 2006

We stayed at the Passage hotel 1 night on our way back from Germany and thought it was great.
We originally planned to stay in a Hostel, but it was booked up.
The guy at the hostel gave us directions for the passage hotel.
45 Euros for 2 people plus breakfast. This considering you are in the center of Brugge is fantastic.
We had dinner in their restaurant, massive portions and a real atmosphere (Very dark gothic ).
The choice of Belgian beer is also extensive.
The rooms are basic in the sort of hostel side of the hotel we stayed in i.e - showers and toilets in the halls.
But let's face it, if you can get a room for Two with breakfast in Brugge for 45 Euros it's not half bad! - Oh also there's free beer for guest who dine there.

Stayed: October 2006