“We had an amazing holiday!”
Review of Floris Karos Hotel

Floris Karos Hotel
Ranked #56 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Floris hotel and we absolutely loved everything about it.
The eye for detail gave the hotel a ‘home-away-from-home feeling’ ... the flowers at the reception, the design of the relax areas, the weather forecast in the lounge, the magazines and the comfortable sofas made us feel very comfortable. Obviously they have given thought on how to make their guests feel at home. The Housekeeping staff was always smiling and the front desk recommended the most lovely restaurant ‘De Vlaamsche Pot’ – you should definitely try it when you are around in Bruges.
We do hope to be back some other time and enjoy everything like we did this time.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank amyxc
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Hi Amyxc,

WOW! Thank you for your nice words! I'm utterly pleased to read that you enjoyed all our little details such as the flowers, the weather forecast and ... restaurant recommendations!

Should your travel plans bring you back to Bruges anytime soon don't hesitate to contact us directly!

Best wishes from the Floris team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I guess it's fair to say that the Karos hotel has taken me by surprise!
I had been to Bruges and the Karos hotel before on a business trip, if I recall well it was in 2009, clearly before they had done the renovations. What a surprise it was now to walk into this beautiful lounge / reception area! They've really turned the place upside down and invested a lot of time and money in the project. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, the breakfast staff was friendly and the front desk team made you feel at home in a glance!

On my next visit to Bruges I will surely bring my family as the Kids Area seemed great. A variety of games was available , an Xbox Kinect, books, toys ... and large comfortable sofas! Across the Kids Area there was an adults area with a selection of glossy magazines.

I have read here below a lot of reviews mentioning a bad smell lingering around reception. Now... I have been there for 3 days and have not noticed any bad smell ... not even a drop! I did notice a fragranced smell which was a nice touch though. The Front Desk told me this fragrance came from fragrance sticks they've put in their Reception area. I do believe the hotel is suffering from a lot of bad reviews pré-renovations so I hope my review/experiences are in a way helpful to anyone reading this.

Well done Karos team - see you soon again!

Room Tip: I've stayed in room 239 - very nice Junior Suite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tjanssens1

Dear tjanssens,

Thank you for having stayed with us and for your sharing your experiences within our walls.
It is only through such efforts and nice words from our guests that we are stimulated to keep on improving our services. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Bruges and hope to have the pleasure of meeting your family.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is lovely and the rooms are wonderful but it's quite a trek into the centre of Bruge especially with a child (and Let's face it, this bills itself as a family hotel). It's also noisy in the evening and that's not great as a family either. Would I come again? If it was as great value then yes, but not if something closer was available.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank emmuk74
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Hi Emmuk,

thank you for your excellent rating!
It was a pleasure hosting you and your family.

I feel sorry to read your remark about our location... It's true that we are not situated on the market Square itself (hence why we can offer good value for money ;-)) but it is really only a short walk away! At the end of the street (3minutes) you actually already arrive at Zand Square (with the weekly market on Saturdays) and at the beginning of the main shopping streets so I defenitely think we're located centrally.

As we're a family hotel you might find people in the evening in one of our many lounges, playing some entertainment games like scrabble or reading one of our magazines which are available for all our guests .... the sound of laughter comes with being a family hotel.

I do hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit to Bruges!
Best wishes from the entire team.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a really good time at the hotel. The staff were friendly, the room comfortable and it was good value for money.
The breakfast was good and the staff working in the breakfast room were highly efficient.
The play area could do with some new toys, but our little girl loved the swimming pool.
We would definately recommend this hotel to families with young children.
One word of advice; try to stagger your arrival time. As I was leaving at three there was a queue of people waiting to check in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Stuart J

Hi Stuart!

Many thanks for having stayed with us - it was a pleasure hosting you and your family :)
Thanks for the tip about adding new toys to our Kids Corner, I'll surely look into that!

If you're travelplans should bring you back to Bruges we would be delighted hosting you again!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Pros: We were given a spacious room on the top floor and it was very clean and very quite along the alley side of the building. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast was good overall. There's a large Mac computer in the lobby to use as well as a printer.

Cons: The building itself was very warm, at least in our room we were able to turn the radiator off and open all the windows, however in the lobby it was hard to stay there for any given time. Also, there was a strong smell of sewage concentrated in the lobby (however, we could smell it throughout the town as well, so not just limited to the hotel). Also, when I enquired about a smaller pillow, as the one's they have are massive, I was told straight away that they are all the same, even though my travelling companion had a different sized one. It would have been nice if he had at least double checked to see if there was another option. I had to come up with my own pillow, they were horribly uncomfortable.

We would probably stay here again if we came to Bruges

Room Tip: I had read off other reviews to not book on the ground floor as it is all tiled and very noisy. All...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank yomo360
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hi there!

Many thanks for having stayed with us and sharing your feedback.

During your stay, Bruges indeed (or Belgium as a matter a fact) encoutered a heat wave, so temperatures have been higher indeed than normally.

As for the pillows: all pillows have the same size - we have recently purchased big comfortable new ones for our clients comfort. I will surely look into the matter and find out how come your partner had a smaller pillow as this should not have been the case.

I wil also defenitely consider the option of maybe reintegrating smaller pillows (as guests preferences can indeed differ).

Should you come back to Bruges , please contact us directly! We'll be pleased to make your next stay even more memorable than your previous one.

Best wishes from the Floris Team.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Having looked at the photos and description on the floris website, I was really excited to be staying in the hotel... until we arrived. The receptionist was unhelpful and unwelcoming, the foyer smelt of sewerage, the pool was dank, dingy and green!!! The "fitness centre" had one broken running machine and one weight machine. Breakfast was like being at a school canteen and the dining room, which had no windows, was like a sauna it was so hot. Our room had an outside walkway to it, which would have been lovely if we could leave the double doors open, but this was actually access to another room beyond, so we couldn't leave the doors or windows open as there was public access to it. The courtyard below was also where the maintenance men worked in the mornings, and where rubbish was thrown out late at night. Lucky we'd drunk a lot of Belgian beer so we could try and sleep through the noise.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else. gutted.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BJTS

Dear,

thank you for sharing your feedback - however I sincerely doubt the genuineness of this review as it does not seem to reflect the high standards we try to persuade at the Floris Karos hotel.
Should you wish to discuss the matter further please don't hesitate to contact me at stephanie.croes@florishotels.com

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here in July 2013. We were a little dubious about booking given some of the reviews on here but we were pleasantly surprised. First, lets talk about the smell... There isn't one. As you get closer to the swimming pool there is a hint of chlorine in the air (as you'd hope) but that's it. Certainly no smell in reception.

The service at the hotel was entirely adequate, I can understand why some people claim that they received poor customer service, but to be honest I think that's just the general standard of service in Bruges (we ate at a number of restaurants and went to a number of bars and the service was well below the level that I would expect in the UK or USA). Having said that the staff were engaged with us as soon as we walked in and were polite and courteous throughout our stay.

We stayed in a double room. It was modern, comfortable and clean and had everything we needed (apparently a hair dryer was the most important thing that the room had... That's my girlfriend's input to the review).

Breakfast wasn't anything to write home about but it certainly served its purpose. Pastries, breads, cured meats and cereal were available, as well as your standard hot dishes of scrambled egg and bacon. Juices and hot drinks were also available. I'd get to breakfast as early as possible though as the breakfast room seemed to fill up quickly as we were finishing up.

The hotel was quiet enough for us to enjoy as a couple on a quiet get-away, but I also think that a family would get on fine here as well. There were separate lounge areas for kids and adults. The kids area had a tv with an Xbox and Xbox kinect, and plenty of games. There's also a small swimming pool.

Possibly the best thing about the hotel is its location, it's within walking distance of he train station (about 10 minutes at a casual stroll) and less than 10 minutes walk from the Markt (any closer to T'Zand and I think the noise of the night life may have become a factor).

All in all a very pleasant trip. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Justin W

Dear Justin,

thank you for having stayed with us and your kind feedback.
I'm always filled with happiness when I read genuine reviews and am pleased that you valued our extra services (such as the Xbox Kinect) and location (close to the city center).

Should your travel plans bring you back to Bruges any time soon , don't hesitate to give us a phone call directly.

Best wishes from the Floris team!