“Weekend Break”

Ranked #58 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

having read the reviews posted about this hotel, I was wary. However we had a great time.
The hotel was clean and most of the staff were helpful.
The breakfast was fine too.
Other reviwers obviously expected a five star hotel for their money. Believe me there are far worse places in Bruges charging more money than this.
Although we could not check in until 3pm as stated, we left our luggage in a small locked room and that was fine.

Room Tip: Not a first floor room as the corridor had a tiled floor and was a little noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen J
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Hi Helen,

many thanks for your kind and genuine feedback.
I'm pleased to read you had en enjoyable stay and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

PS: thanks for the tip - I'll look into that and see how we can improve this!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We arrived for a four night stay just after 3pm (yes I had changed my watch to continental time) on the Monday, horrible smell in reception, to be told check in was 3 o'clock, which we knew and had timed our arrival around but the room was not ready. We bought a drink from the bar, complimentary would have been nice in the circumstances, it was nearly four before they checked us in and we were told the lift was not working. We left the luggage in the car until later and checked out the room. It was a good size and contained 3 single beds (I had asked for singles as I was travelling with a friend. The room was warm clean and tidy and nicely decorated, the beds were comfortable and there was a couple of chairs. The shower room was small but adequate but there was no towel rail so nowhere to hang the towels to dry so they ended up getting replaced every day as they were left on the floor. I do not need a clean towel every day.
When we went back for our luggage the smell was even worse as there was a tanker with two men wearing masks in the car park pumping out what is obviously an underground septic tank with large hoses which we had to step over to get to the car and lift our luggage over on the way back, the smell did improve after the tanker left. The lift was working by then but most of the space was taken up by a cleaning cart and there was no one around to remove it so we had to go up one at a time.
The hotel was actually further from the centre of Bruges than I expected but that was my fault for not being more careful when booking so if walking long distances is a problem you would probably have to get taxis. We used a taxi one evening and from the hotel to the square where the clock tower is was 9 euros. On our second day the door handle came off the shower room door, we left it on the table when we went to breakfast and by the time we came back the chamber maid had been in and made the beds and done the shower room and the maintenance man was fixing the handle back on which was pretty good service as we had not even told reception about the handle.
Breakfast was not bad, the only problem I had was, being vegetarian, I was put off the scrambled eggs by them being next to the bacon and people using the same utensil for both. The parking at 15 euros a day is dearer than the underground car park in the square but of course the square is at least 5 minutes away.
Lighting in the room was not good for reading but the free WIFI was reasonably fast and the television was a good size but the English language programs were American with subtitles and there was not much to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front of the hotel as it goes a long way back but not at the front as the ho...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kanga41
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Kanga,

thank you for having stayed with us and sharing your experiences within our walls - it was a pleasure having you as our guests.We indeed indicate 3PM as a "starting check-in time" however, as in any hotel, there might be an exceptional occasion where we're not able to have all rooms cleaned by 3PM and it might become 4PM, my sincerest apologies if this has been an inconvenience for you.

We have indeed recently emptied our septic tank, this because it's absolutely necessary. If we would not do this we would have floods in the hotel .... You surely understand that this is not our intention.

Our hotel itself is only a 2 minute walk away from ZandSquare (where there's a Market every Saturday) and only a 12 minute walk away from the MarketSquare itself (where there's a Market every Wednesday) so I would say that the hotel is located quit centrally.

As for your other remarks, thank you very much! I will review them diligently and improve our services where necessary.

I look forward to welcoming you in our hotel back again soon to show to you our improvements.

Kind regards, The Floris Team
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there with my mom. Had a great golf weekend. Start with the upsides. Clean beds, guarded car park, great location, good (free) Nespresso in the lobby. Downsides outweighed the upsides however: crowded breakfast, service at check-in really should have been more friendly, funny smell in the lobby, black hair on the bathroom floor.... There is nothing wrong with being a budget hotel but get your basics right. Clean bathroom is a must! Next time I will stay somewhere else :(

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Robbie_P0
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Hello there,

thank you for having stayed with us and sharing your feedback.
Our team always does its utmost best to welcome every person in a friendly manner if this was not the case upon you arrival rest assured that this was surely not their intention.

I do hope that you will give us the chance to proove to you that we can do better! Please contact me directly if your travelplans would bring you back to Bruges - I'll make it my personal duty to make your stay as memorable as possible.

Kind regards from the Floris team.

Travelers are raving about these Bruges hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were a group of three friends who booked two nights in Floris Hotel in April 2013.

On arrival we found the greeting at Reception poor and were kept waiting around 10 minutes despite staff being present behind the counter. A poor start.

The rooms were adequate for the price, they were clean but jaded they were quiet.

The location is not close to anything in particulr sve the main road.

Breakfast was continental style with an attempt at scrambled eggs and bacon.

Bathrooms were small yet clean, the view from the window was mainly cigeraette ends on a patio area.

We would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The photos on the internet looked good but were certainly not the ones we had...try an dget them.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stuart p
Pegah S, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Stuart,

thank you for having stayed with us and sharing your experiences within our walls.
I'm slightly surprised by your review as:

1) Out hotel is a 2 minute walk away from the city center of Bruges. It is within walking distance of 't Zand Square, the main shopping streets, the Concertbuilding, the market Square, the Belfry tower and surrounded by many restaurants.

2) We have recently completely changed our Breakfast into a 'Continental Buffet Breakfast' including: 2 different fruitjuices, 4 different cereals, pain français, croissants natural, croissants chocolats, light/dark pistolets, white/brown bread, 2 fresh fruits (apples and oranges), 3different kinds of jam, slices of cheese - chicken - sauccison - chicken, fruitsalad, choco, scrambled eggs, bacon and much more - quit a selection for a 3* hotel ... so I honestly do not understand how this could have been dissapointing for you. Nevertheless I love to receive your feedback and ideas.

3) Our staff always does its utmost best to welcome every client in a enthoustic, friendly kind of way. If this was not the case upon your check-in I apolgise deeply as this was surely not their intention.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again some day.
Kind regards - the Floris team.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just arrived home from my surprise birthday weekend in Bruges. My poor husband kept apologising about his choice of hotel, we've decided that the hotel would just be one of those comedy bad experience in life!
We arrived and instantly noticed the overpowering cover-up scent that they have been pumping into reception to try to cover up the smell of sewage. The receptionist was fine, not exactly gushing with enthusiasm. She gave us the minimal information, I had to ask some basic things though. She did give us a map of the city which was a faded photocopy of Bruge and pointed out a couple of main places. She showed us to our 'cottage room' which was a total joke.
We had to walk across the car park, past the laundry storage, then up the spiral stairs by the bins and our first reaction on opening the door was 'oh, is that it'. We nicknamed our room 'The Afterthought'!
My husband had to step over the bed to get around to his side. There was only one bedside table. I had to open the luggage table thing behind the door because there was no other room for it so every time we came in and out, we couldn't open the door properly. There was no point unpacking totally into the cupboard as we only were there for a couple of nights (thank goodness). It would have been perfect as a single room.
The bathroom was fine, the shower was very powerful which was good, the tiling was a bit patchy, but nothing major to complain about. Good towel rail, although we had to work out how to turn it on and off.
I just giggled at someone else's review about the pillows, I likened them to a lego piece, bumpy was an understatement. I took the cover off a cushion and used that instead as it was mildly less lumpy. Not a great night's sleep the first night, but I was so tired the next night from not sleeping well the previous night, that I do actually think I got some REMs!
Good big LG tv with some rubbishy English channels.
Very dark lighting, so not good if you want to read in bed.
I was woken up one morning by the laundry on the cobbles outside. Otherwise was quite a good quiet location out the back. The poor room maid only made it to our room at about 5.30pm when we were already back in our room, she did apologise and changed our towels/cleaned the bathroom, but we didn't get made up beds that night.
The breakfast, well where to I start. OK selection of bread/pastry items, two choices of cereal with room temperature milk. I asked for some more water in the jug from the frantic lady trying to clear up and help, she appeared back with a jug of warm water, so clearly hadn't let the tap run for any cold. I joked to my husband at the bacon 'what is that?', it looked like someone had walked past the oven with it and that was the closest it got to the heat.
I think the hotel scrapes its 3 star rating. I know people read reviews on here, but don't be fooled by the good reviews! If you are on a budget and can sleep through anything, and don't really mind where you stay, then this is for you. If you want attention to detail, friendly helpful staff, beautiful rooms and a lovely hotel, I wouldn't choose this one.
There was a good location and it was quick to walk to the station and into town. Don't expect wonders.

Room Tip: Specify a quiet room. Take your own pillow!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank swattywatty
Pegah S, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Swattywatty,

thank you for your extensive feedback.
I feel truly sorry that we have not lived up to your expectations and regret you've named your room 'the afterthought'. Many clients actually love this cosy Cottage Room as it is on the backside of the hotel and very quiet as it's away from the mainroad. On top of that it also has a cosy double bed which is often requested by clients.

On another note I feel pleased to inform you and anyone reading this that all our old pillows have finally been replaced! New big comfortable pillows have been put in every room in the entire hotel for our clients' comfort as we know nothing goes above a good nights' sleep.

I look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel to restore your faith in our hotel.
Should there be any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards
The Floris Team
england
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just got back from a 1 night stay here and it was very relaxing and we had a good nights sleep. There is a slight oder as you walk into the reception but it isn't that strong depending on what time of year you go, but there was no smell in the rooms or the breakfast bar. The hotel itself is probably just a 10 minute walk away from the Markt square of Bruges but there are plenty of little shops and sights on the way. When we arrived we were not allowed into our room as check in is not until 3pm but we were able to leave our suitcase at reception, however Bruges has a really low crime rate (as you will see some people will leave their bikes in the street unlocked and they will not be stolen). We were a bit worried that the smell would be in the rooms or we would get noise from people walking up and down the back street however it was a really good quiet sleep. In the morning breakfast was quiet and well laid out with a selection of breads and cereals, as well as eggs and bacon. The pool is not as big as it looks in the photos but it is really warm and nice if you want to unwind after a day of sightseeing. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a quick get away, would have loved to have stayed more than one night. The only flaws I would say with this hotel is that we didn't have a double bed it was just two singles pushed together, and the fact that it overlooks the dual carriage way instead of some of the beautiful architecture of Bruges.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pegah S, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear,

thank your stay and your kind words about our hotel.
We're pleased to read you found our hotel to be a very good hotel and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes from the Floris team.
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed at the Karos Bruges for 2 nights. We had a fantastic, spacious family room on the 2nd floor with a reasonable sized bathroom. Breakfast was OK but nothing fantastic, real coffee would have been nice. The pool and kids area are great. The fitness room is small but looked well equipped. We were 3 min walk from the lovely old area of Bruges, excellent for exploring. There was a smell of drains (only in the reception area) which they were trying to mask with room fragrance, but this was no worse than smelt in wandering round the Bruges canals and couldn't be smelt elsewhere. Would definitely recommend as a base for exploring Bruges.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi Jo,

Thank you ever so much for your genuine feedback regarding your stay in our hotel!
That's what we're aiming for: to be a good price/quality family hotel!

If you're ever visiting Bruges again, don't hesitate to contact us directly as it will be our pleasure hosting you in our hotel once again.

Best wishes from the Floris team.