“Just not good enough” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Breda, The Netherlands
“Just not good enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there with my mom. Had a great golf weekend. Start with the upsides. Clean beds, guarded car park, great location, good (free) Nespresso in the lobby. Downsides outweighed the upsides however: crowded breakfast, service at check-in really should have been more friendly, funny smell in the lobby, black hair on the bathroom floor.... There is nothing wrong with being a budget hotel but get your basics right. Clean bathroom is a must! Next time I will stay somewhere else :(

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Robbie_P0
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Hello there,

thank you for having stayed with us and sharing your feedback.
Our team always does its utmost best to welcome every person in a friendly manner if this was not the case upon you arrival rest assured that this was surely not their intention.

I do hope that you will give us the chance to proove to you that we can do better! Please contact me directly if your travelplans would bring you back to Bruges - I'll make it my personal duty to make your stay as memorable as possible.

Kind regards from the Floris team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were a group of three friends who booked two nights in Floris Hotel in April 2013.

On arrival we found the greeting at Reception poor and were kept waiting around 10 minutes despite staff being present behind the counter. A poor start.

The rooms were adequate for the price, they were clean but jaded they were quiet.

The location is not close to anything in particulr sve the main road.

Breakfast was continental style with an attempt at scrambled eggs and bacon.

Bathrooms were small yet clean, the view from the window was mainly cigeraette ends on a patio area.

We would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The photos on the internet looked good but were certainly not the ones we had...try an dget them.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stuart p
Pegah S, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Stuart,

thank you for having stayed with us and sharing your experiences within our walls.
I'm slightly surprised by your review as:

1) Out hotel is a 2 minute walk away from the city center of Bruges. It is within walking distance of 't Zand Square, the main shopping streets, the Concertbuilding, the market Square, the Belfry tower and surrounded by many restaurants.

2) We have recently completely changed our Breakfast into a 'Continental Buffet Breakfast' including: 2 different fruitjuices, 4 different cereals, pain français, croissants natural, croissants chocolats, light/dark pistolets, white/brown bread, 2 fresh fruits (apples and oranges), 3different kinds of jam, slices of cheese - chicken - sauccison - chicken, fruitsalad, choco, scrambled eggs, bacon and much more - quit a selection for a 3* hotel ... so I honestly do not understand how this could have been dissapointing for you. Nevertheless I love to receive your feedback and ideas.

3) Our staff always does its utmost best to welcome every client in a enthoustic, friendly kind of way. If this was not the case upon your check-in I apolgise deeply as this was surely not their intention.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again some day.
Kind regards - the Floris team.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just arrived home from my surprise birthday weekend in Bruges. My poor husband kept apologising about his choice of hotel, we've decided that the hotel would just be one of those comedy bad experience in life!
We arrived and instantly noticed the overpowering cover-up scent that they have been pumping into reception to try to cover up the smell of sewage. The receptionist was fine, not exactly gushing with enthusiasm. She gave us the minimal information, I had to ask some basic things though. She did give us a map of the city which was a faded photocopy of Bruge and pointed out a couple of main places. She showed us to our 'cottage room' which was a total joke.
We had to walk across the car park, past the laundry storage, then up the spiral stairs by the bins and our first reaction on opening the door was 'oh, is that it'. We nicknamed our room 'The Afterthought'!
My husband had to step over the bed to get around to his side. There was only one bedside table. I had to open the luggage table thing behind the door because there was no other room for it so every time we came in and out, we couldn't open the door properly. There was no point unpacking totally into the cupboard as we only were there for a couple of nights (thank goodness). It would have been perfect as a single room.
The bathroom was fine, the shower was very powerful which was good, the tiling was a bit patchy, but nothing major to complain about. Good towel rail, although we had to work out how to turn it on and off.
I just giggled at someone else's review about the pillows, I likened them to a lego piece, bumpy was an understatement. I took the cover off a cushion and used that instead as it was mildly less lumpy. Not a great night's sleep the first night, but I was so tired the next night from not sleeping well the previous night, that I do actually think I got some REMs!
Good big LG tv with some rubbishy English channels.
Very dark lighting, so not good if you want to read in bed.
I was woken up one morning by the laundry on the cobbles outside. Otherwise was quite a good quiet location out the back. The poor room maid only made it to our room at about 5.30pm when we were already back in our room, she did apologise and changed our towels/cleaned the bathroom, but we didn't get made up beds that night.
The breakfast, well where to I start. OK selection of bread/pastry items, two choices of cereal with room temperature milk. I asked for some more water in the jug from the frantic lady trying to clear up and help, she appeared back with a jug of warm water, so clearly hadn't let the tap run for any cold. I joked to my husband at the bacon 'what is that?', it looked like someone had walked past the oven with it and that was the closest it got to the heat.
I think the hotel scrapes its 3 star rating. I know people read reviews on here, but don't be fooled by the good reviews! If you are on a budget and can sleep through anything, and don't really mind where you stay, then this is for you. If you want attention to detail, friendly helpful staff, beautiful rooms and a lovely hotel, I wouldn't choose this one.
There was a good location and it was quick to walk to the station and into town. Don't expect wonders.

Room Tip: Specify a quiet room. Take your own pillow!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank swattywatty
Pegah S, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Swattywatty,

thank you for your extensive feedback.
I feel truly sorry that we have not lived up to your expectations and regret you've named your room 'the afterthought'. Many clients actually love this cosy Cottage Room as it is on the backside of the hotel and very quiet as it's away from the mainroad. On top of that it also has a cosy double bed which is often requested by clients.

On another note I feel pleased to inform you and anyone reading this that all our old pillows have finally been replaced! New big comfortable pillows have been put in every room in the entire hotel for our clients' comfort as we know nothing goes above a good nights' sleep.

I look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel to restore your faith in our hotel.
Should there be any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards
The Floris Team

Travelers are raving about these Bruges hotels

england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just got back from a 1 night stay here and it was very relaxing and we had a good nights sleep. There is a slight oder as you walk into the reception but it isn't that strong depending on what time of year you go, but there was no smell in the rooms or the breakfast bar. The hotel itself is probably just a 10 minute walk away from the Markt square of Bruges but there are plenty of little shops and sights on the way. When we arrived we were not allowed into our room as check in is not until 3pm but we were able to leave our suitcase at reception, however Bruges has a really low crime rate (as you will see some people will leave their bikes in the street unlocked and they will not be stolen). We were a bit worried that the smell would be in the rooms or we would get noise from people walking up and down the back street however it was a really good quiet sleep. In the morning breakfast was quiet and well laid out with a selection of breads and cereals, as well as eggs and bacon. The pool is not as big as it looks in the photos but it is really warm and nice if you want to unwind after a day of sightseeing. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a quick get away, would have loved to have stayed more than one night. The only flaws I would say with this hotel is that we didn't have a double bed it was just two singles pushed together, and the fact that it overlooks the dual carriage way instead of some of the beautiful architecture of Bruges.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pegah S, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear,

thank your stay and your kind words about our hotel.
We're pleased to read you found our hotel to be a very good hotel and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes from the Floris team.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed at the Karos Bruges for 2 nights. We had a fantastic, spacious family room on the 2nd floor with a reasonable sized bathroom. Breakfast was OK but nothing fantastic, real coffee would have been nice. The pool and kids area are great. The fitness room is small but looked well equipped. We were 3 min walk from the lovely old area of Bruges, excellent for exploring. There was a smell of drains (only in the reception area) which they were trying to mask with room fragrance, but this was no worse than smelt in wandering round the Bruges canals and couldn't be smelt elsewhere. Would definitely recommend as a base for exploring Bruges.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi Jo,

Thank you ever so much for your genuine feedback regarding your stay in our hotel!
That's what we're aiming for: to be a good price/quality family hotel!

If you're ever visiting Bruges again, don't hesitate to contact us directly as it will be our pleasure hosting you in our hotel once again.

Best wishes from the Floris team.
Essex, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

A friend booked a few of us in on the Easter Sunday. Upon arrival in reception the smell hits you; a peculiar blend of either the drains or swimmimg pool chemicals. It's not too over-powering, as long as you don't spend too long in reception, and it's a worthy advocate to the receptionist's body odour! My partner and friends battled with him to check in the three booked rooms while i waited outside in the fresh air. Our room was on the ground floor, fairly small (two singles beds pushed together rather than one double) but comfortable and warm.
The bar price for a bottle of beer was reasonable for a city centre, and the location not bad either. At this point the hotel was 'Average' in my rating. However it was the early morning that things declined rapidly.
Woken first by a female staff member clomping up and down the un-carpetted corridor outside our room to seemingly empty a cupboard one item at a time, we then had the pleasure of the children's play area at the end being used at full volume - it's only when these kids wheel the toys up and down the corridor our door that your realise what a terrible idea it is to put such a play area next to people's rooms!
Next the house maid joins in with laundry trollies (why oh why use such noisy flooring?) so we decide to get out of bed and join in the breakfast scrum. I don't know the numbers but there are far fewer seats and tables to seat the residents than the hotel allows to stay, which means queues, messy tables, empty food and drink containers, and a generally unpleasant experience.
Back at the room we pack to leave, the last 20 minutes with the sound of a resident's dog (inside the hotel next to the children's play area) constantly yapping/ barking.
When checking out at reception we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay - maybe she already knew the answer? I told the female receptionist anyway that I thought it was the noisiest hotel i had stayed in for a long time (I had to repeat myself over the noise of the barking dog because we could not hear each other!), to which the receptionist simply told me I should have requested a quite room when I checked in?!?
So take the advice of the Floris receptionist and do request a quieter room when you check in... at a different, more caring hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank A41_Andy
Dear,

first of all thank you for sharing your experiences within our walls, needless to say it leaves me with a bad feeling. I will discuss your review with our entire team to see what may have gone wrong and to avoid such unfortunate circumstances in the future - however rest assured that we always do our best to make our guests' stay as memorable as possible, hence the many other good/positive reviews.

I truly hope to have the chance of welcoming you back again one day in order to regain your trust in our hotel.

Kind regards from the Floris team.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Where to start? Firstly, the smell. Before booking this hotel I thought some previous reviewers were being dramatic and exaggerating when saying there was a constant bad smell - they definitely weren't. It is absutely horrible and the smell hits you as soon as you enter the hotel. They obviously try and mask the smell with some kind of scented candle which, in many ways, makes it much worse. The smell lingers all over the bottom floor of the hotel, making the use of the nicely decorated lobby and also children's area a nightmare. I've read the excuses about being Venice of the North and Bruges built on canals etc but this is just plain BS. Bruges is a beautiful place and the hotel was the only place where we had a problem with the smell. It did not get better throughout our stay.

Then there were many other things - coffee machine at (very ordinary and meagre) breakfast out of order, running out of food, cups and plates at breakfast when there were more people (there was even a big, barking dog allowed inside the breakfast room that eventually did a nr 2 on the floor where people were eating after the owner kept handfeeding it bacon and croissants from the buffet! (I took a video on my phone of the dog as proof if anyone's interested...)

There are many more things to mention like the terrible attitude of the staff, noise etc but the main issue is the bad smell - as we walked around in Bruges we saw many other hotels we would've liked to stay in if we knew earlier. Do your research - hotels in older part of Bruges looked amazing and you don't have to walk far to see this beautiful city.

As for Bruges itself - make sure you do a canal tour - fantastic. Also find The Beer Wall bar/pub for a great and cheap variety of fruit beers - it's got a beautiful outside area that overlooks the canals and the inside is very funky! Chocolate is everywhere and delicious.

All in all: great city, great beer, great chocolate - our hotel was the dampener on what could've been an amazing long weekend.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank wern
Dear,

thank you for sharing your experiences within our walls as this enables us to improve our services where necassary. However I must admit that your remark about 'the smell' leaves me very disappointed ... As with any good rumor or story it's only kept alive by those who are feeding it .... should one person write that our windows are dirty - all future guests reading this remark would surely in their upcoming visit, check all the windows in the hotel and if even only 2 out of 10 would have been indeed dirty - they would reconfirm that the first review was indeed correct.
Meaning: I truly feel as if this remark has been disproportionately repeated and that the genuine essence has been lost.

Apart from that I would like to apologise for the behavior of the female guest you are referring to in your review with the rather noisy dog .... we would not ever accept this kind of behavior from any of our guests and therefor we have kindly requested/adviced this guest with dog to leave the hotel - which she did - as she did not follow our policy guidelines.

I remain at your disposal for any further inquires you may have and honestly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again one day.