“Friendly helpfull staff”
Review of Floris Karos Hotel

Floris Karos Hotel
Ranked #57 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Good location easy walking distance to center of Bruges.
Very friendly staff recommended places to eat & upgraded us to a Junior Suite free of charge, however they would not have had to upgrade us if the standard room was up to scratch, booked a double and got two singles pushed together.
Some parts of the hotel have been recently decorated its a shame it lets itself down with its bathrooms mouldy/dirty grout & tiles mouldy shower curtains yuk!! very old in bathroom hair dryers and because there are no extractor fans you cant use mirror to blow dry hair.
We only attempted breakfast once sadly service here was not good no staff to check you had everything you needed on the self service buffet affair, no knives all hot food was gone & standard highstreet bought toaster broken everyone had to hold knob down to get toast out of it!! We simply didn't bother again.
Just a few simple steps like including Tea & Coffee facilities in rooms & updating bathrooms & better service & equipment in breakfast room would make this a great hotel.

Dispite this we got it for a bargain price & for a few days break would do it again.

1  Thank DLT39
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments. As the opinion of our guest is our main source of feedback we highly value both positive and negative comments and they will be taken in consideration in order to improve our services where necessary.

We truly hope that you decide to visit us again in the future and are willing to give us another chance to exceed your highest expectations and demonstrate that our commitment towards customer’s satisfaction is a reality and not mere words.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let's make it short and simple: This hotel is a nightmare for anyone, who cares about
cleanliness. If you enter the lobby, you are already confronted with a smell of toilet (which might has to do with the fact, that the door to the adjacent toilet is always open) and sweat (which obviously stems from the male receptionist). The room was not cleaned in the corners for several weeks, the shower curtain in the bathroom is half of the size of a regular one and completely dirty. The bath towel had a huge hole and was half way ripped. The reception team didn't pay attention to the guest's needs. No response to a room change request, explanations in French, even though our question was in English etc. Breakfast: don't waste your time and go to one of the numerous city cafes right away. Admittingly the hotel is not expensive, but low prices are not an excuse for the lack of basics!

1  Thank c b
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the effort to write a review, needless to say it leaves me with a bad feeling. Rest assured that we have looked into the issues that were raised and addressed the departments involved in order to improve our services.

I hope you will give us a new chance in the future to prove that we can offer a great value for money.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This place ticked all the boxes. The rooms were clean and well equipped, that staff were friendly and the location is perfect. The breakfast wasn't great, but nowhere near as bad as some of the reviewers on here found it. Even if you do find it disappointing, there's a market just over the road and plenty of cafes near by that you can fill up in!
Very good value too.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our services met your expectations.
It is always a pleasure to share positive feedback as yours with our team.
As we are mentioning in our responses, we are highly valuing feedback and doing our best to grow. Our goal is excellence in service and quality and your support is very important for us!
Kind Regards

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at about 1pm and were brusquely informed that check in was at 3pm. We asked if there was any chance of getting in earlier and we got a sharp no the hotel had been very busy the day before. We were told we could leave our luggage and go into town - which is what we did. We stayed out until 3.30 pm in fact and on arriving our room still wasn't ready so we were changed to another room. The room was quite a nice size but very dated with lots of cracked tiles in the bathroom and the shower door at the wrong end. My partner noticed this straight away - the reality of it didn't dawn on me until the next morning when I had a shower and flooded the bathroom!

We were also given a twin room which drives me mad - I always feel like an idiot complaining about this being in my late 40's but I don't understand why reception staff can't respect the fact that couples like us tend to want to sleep together when on holiday and not in separate single beds.

We opened the window as it was very stuffy and found we were in some sort of echo chamber from the street behind us where the sound of people talking was as if they were in the room with us. This would have been ok if it weren't for the fact that there seemed to be some sort of creche being run in the next building and so we had babies screaming for much of the early afternoon.

There was no tea/coffee making facilities and when I asked reception they said that was normal. There wasn't even a bottle of water in the room (nor anywhere to store one), and when we went to reception to see if there was any room service as my partner wasn't feeling well, the woman on the desk said she was on her own staffing the bar and reception and no there was no room service. I ended up going out to the supermarket to get some water and other supplies for the evening.

The key had to be surrendered every time you left the building which doesn't really allow for occasions when you might not go out together. I felt a bit like an untrusted child quite honestly.

The location is quite reasonable - a 5-10 minute walk to most attractions and the stay could have been so much better if the staff had made us feel welcome. As we were leaving there was a male receptionist we hadn't seen before and he was giving a group of new arrivals really useful information about where to eat and tips about things to do. Shame we didn't get him really!

The chamber maids did a good job though as we did not leave our room early every day so we were very grateful that they fitted around us. Thank you!

There are lots of hotels in Bruges - The Golden Tree is right next door to this one - I'd recommend trying there.

1  Thank Teresa H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and my apologies for what happened to you during your stay. We have taken your constructive feedback at heart and discussed it with the team and supervisors concerned too. Extra training for our team members has been scheduled to make sure this won’t happen again.

As for your remark regarding the twin beds: our hotel indeed offers both twin and double beds. All our guests can request their preference when making their booking and within our possibilities we will do our utmost best to grant your wishes however this can never considered to be a guarntee.

Furthermore our hotel, as most European hotels, does not offer coffee- and tea facilities in the room nor do we display that we do. A bar is available on site where guests can enjoy a cup of coffee or even store a bottle of water in one of the fridges - my apologies if this wasn't clear to you.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back again one day.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Arriving on a hot June day we were really impressed with the lobby. I felt as if I'd grabbed a bargain. Felt a bit deflated though after being given our key by the grumpy reception woman behind the desk.

On first glance our room seemed just fine. Basic but clean. It was hotter than the sun in there so I went over to open the window. I was amazed to find out that the window could not be opened. There was a little notice that rubbed it in by telling us so. And another saying "for ventilation" just below a tiny dusty vent. We escaped the room before one of us could suffocate.

The hotel is pretty well placed to explore Bruges. It's about a 5 minute walk into town.

The continental breakfast was actually really good. I normally hate those and feel jealous that someone somewhere is enjoying a full English. But there was lots of scrambled egg and bacon on offer in a pleasant environment.

We adored Bruges and I'll definitely return...but i'll probably treat myself to another hotel that offers the luxury of cracking a window open.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank RickyStiles

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experiences within on our walls.

It is very important for us to receive constructive feedback like yours as this gives us the chance to evaluate the services we offer and make improvements where needed, which we will do cfr. the window-ventilation.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We are truly looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel in Bruges in order to restore your faith in our hotel.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We've holidayed in Bruges twenty times, probably, since 1994. We've stayed in the Karos five times previously, so we know what we're talking about. It used to based on a old-fashioned carriage theme and this carriage motif appeared everywhere. The hotel was cosy and friendly and we loved it.

This time, we dropped in without reservation, having changed holiday plans. Yes, they did have two rooms and at a rate of 130 Euros a room a night. The sticker price in the room was 350 - that's three hundred and fity Euros, or over three hundred quid. Utterly unbelievable. This place used to have some class, but the Floris makeover has dispensed with that: strange bleached-out furniture and odd fittings. The bathroom tiles felt rough, like they'd never really been clean. The bedside lamps had exposed wires and the whole set-up was seedy.

Breakfast

But the breakfast ruined this stay: the coffee was actually undrinkable; the first time i have had poor coffee in Belgium. I pointed this out to the breakfast waiter and he showed me the back of the machine; it says Espresso, Cappucino etc. on the front but it's all weak powder, the cheapest they can find, I'll bet. The cheese, salami and ham were of the cheapest bulk-buy quality: any Ibis - at about half the price - will trump this breakfast. In fact, any McDonald's would beat this. The next day I brought my own instant coffee down, as I cannot stand to start the day with bad coffee. Alhough breakfast still had half an hour to go, all the bacon and all the egg was gone. I asked the waiter and was told it had finished. That's it. Didn't even offer to get me a boiled egg.

Missing money

On day two of our stay, one of our sons noticed that 10 Euros he'd left on his bedside table had gone missing. The manageress told us that the chambermaids may have taken the money as a tip...we never found out what happened to it, but it just didn't surprise me. The pool is a bonus and there was a clean towel

Maybe I was expecting too much; maybe it was the £250 a night I was paying that made me expect it, but unless you don't mind Netto cornflakes and cheap coffee and you've got some time to book in advance, avoid the Floris Karos; it's a rip-off.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mark W
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Mark,

First of all thank you for staying with us again and sharing your point of view, needless to say it leaves me with a bad feeling.
I truly understand you must have been surprised when checking in as we have indeed done renovations last year.
What was once an old-fashioned hotel has now become a trendy hotel with cosmopolitan touch and so far it has been valued highly by our guests.
Nevertheless, everyone has different tastes and I feel sorry that the new style did not meet your expectations.

Regarding the missing money; rest assured that we communicated your comments to our team members in order to avoid any similar situations in the future.

Last but not least I like to thank you for your feedback as we are continuously working on improving our hotels as well as the service as the quality and this is only possible through the efforts made by our guests by sharing their experiences. We hope to be able to welcome you back again one day in order to share with you our improvements.

Best wishes from Bruges

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went in 2011 Christmas. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is not too far from the Square, Far enough not to be disturbed, near enough to walk.
It is also close enough to the train station to go to Brussels.

We arrived on Christmas Eve and went into the square, Shops and markets were open and there was a nice buzz.
On Christmas Day we went to Brussels, cheap, and we went to the Christmas markets there. EVERYTHING was open. Stunning.
Spent the next few days in Bruges, Left before New Year. Enough time, and enough things to do,

The rooms are basic, but clean, which is the most important thing, The hotel does offer parking, book before you go, as it is limited space.

There is a drain outside the hotel, but once inside you can't smell it. When we were there, the carpet on the stairs and hallway needed replacing, and a bit of a health hazard, They may have sorted it by now.

We did B & B. Hmmm, that was a bit like a hostel breakfast. I wouldn't bother again, If you get downstairs a bit late, when its gone its gone. They do not replace, even though it is still within the breakfast time. We asked for a refund on the breakfast, There are better places nearby to have breakfast.

I am writing this review now, and so late, as we are looking to go in December, and looking to book this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chazza70
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Chazza,

first of all thank you for taking the time and sharing your experiences.
It was our pleasure hosting you last year and we look forward to hosting you again in December.
Please let me know what we can do for you to make your stay more memorable - you can contact me directly at stephanie.croes@florishotels.com!

I truly look forward to hearing from you.