“Lovely hotel in a great location”
Review of Bryghia Hotel

Bryghia Hotel
Ranked #41 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Cannock, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in a great location”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We were a little worried after reading reviews on your site but found them to be untrue.The hotel was clean and in a fantastic location-quiet but not far from the markt platz.The hotel is in an old building and the decor perfectly fitted it. My husband and I would stay there again if we came back to Bruges!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My partner and I stayed here in August 2010.

We were initially planning on staying for just one night but when we arrived into Bruges we fell in love and decided to stay for two, the hotel had the space and although we had to move rooms, we did not mind. My complaint is not to do with the rooms, we found these to be clean, quiet and comfortable, the problem was with the attitude of the staff...

On our first morning in the breakfast room (which had no atmosphere and was so quiet, we both felt like we could not have a relaxed conversation without disturbiing others in their silent breakfasts), my parnter dropped a piece of ham on the floor, she did not want to eat this and instead of leaving it on the floor she tried to pass it to a member of staff through the open kitchen door to put in the bin. The guy on shift gave her a look, did not say anything to her as if she should have just left it on the floor for others to slip on, which made her feel quite uncomfortable and embarassed.

In addition to this, on the second morning we wanted to take a couple of croissants with us for our lunch. I know some may think this is wrong but I dont see the harm in taking a pastry with us-what is the difference between eating it there in the breakfast room or in a couple of hours time somewhere else? People take breakfast rolls all the time in sure! The reason we were taking the pastries was because we wanted to eat them away from the breakfast room as the atomsphere felt similar to a morgue!

The woman on duty noticed that we had the two pastries on the table and we were not eating them, so must have guessed we wanted to take them with us. I then had to endure her standing next to the washing area staring at me intently, keeping an eye on her pastries (this went on for around 15 mins). When I awkwardly put one into my bag,the lady came storming out, walked up to me, leaned in and said 'this is a breakfast room, not a lunch making room'... I was so shocked I simply said 'ok' , she walked away back to her post and continued to watch us. Feeling like criminals we left the breakfast room.

What upset me the most was the was she spoke to me. As most of the guests were middle aged, I believe if I had been an 'adult' and not a silly 23 year old she would definately not have spoke to me like that. If I am paying the same money as 'adults' I expect the same treatment.

I want to stress that there was nothing wrong with the room, but from the moment we arrived there we did not see one smile, we feel there was a lack of hospitality about the place, which is a shame when you visit such a beautiful town. I wish I had had the courage to say something to her but at the time I was in a state of shock at being spoken to so rudely by someone who is meant to build their business around welcoming hospitailty. The only time we saw a smile was when we paid our bill at the end of our stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Wobulf
Dunoon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Having read the reviews, we decided to book this hotel for a six night stay during the last week in September. We are delighted we did. The hotel has a very old fashioned feel to it with some excellent touches. Guido and his wife provide very good service. The breakfast is typical with cheese, various hams and salami. there is also yoghurt and fruit. Try the rolls, they are delicious. Our room was very clean and had sufficient space for clothes. Previous people talked about noise and it can be as it is situated just off one of te main squares. I think every hotel would have that problem. We enjoyed staying there and would recommend it. Beware of Bruges - it is a very expensive city eg 33cl of beer is 3,80 euros! But it is a beautiful city with lots to see.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Canterbury
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Bruges with some friends. Very well located for walking around city centre. Rooms were relatively quiet and very clean. The breakfast was excellent. finding the hotel by car was difficult because of the canals and one way system. Hotel parking was virtually non-existent and we had to use a public car park quite far away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank njord
stoke
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Great location next to one of the canals to the north of the city.
This was my third stay so obviously fine for me.
I have been with my family as well as whilst on tour on my motorcycle.

Good value and friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I discovered the Bryghia Hotel by mistake on an internet search, and was so glad I did. It is a small family run hotel with about 18 rooms, which are doubles or twins (if you want a single, you will be allocated either a twin or double for sole use). The rooms are a respectable size and I'd read somewhere to try and get one that was overlooking the canal. That advice was good. There were large double windows that could be thrown open at night, making the room nice and cool. The room had character and was clean and comfortable. There was a nice bathroom with a bathtub that had a shower over it (perfect for soaking after a day wandering the intimate streets) and towels were changed daily.

Perhaps the best feature was the buffet breakfast, served until 10:00. The range of food was wider than you might expect, with several cereals, differant breads, with meat and cheese, fruit juices, youghurts and an egg boiling station. The breakfast room was rustic and in keeping with the character of the hotel.

I paid £62 for a double room overlooking the canal. That was via Travel Supermarket, who hadn't made it clear that a single room meant a double room for single occupancy, so I went ahead and booked a double room so I wouldn't be stuck with a very small single room. That meant I paid over the odds and this wonderful hotel could have been booked cheaper elsewhere or even direct, for about £53. Tip: Always look at the hotel's own website before booking anything - that way you get a better feel for the room types etc.

The location is superb, just 5 minutes walk from the Markt Square. A taxi from the main train station cost 8 euro, but you could actually take the number 4 or 14 bus, getting off at Jan Van Eyck Square, from which the hotel is a 500 meter walk.

The one downside was that the hotel charged 2 euro for 30 minutes to use the wifi. You can get an hour for that at a small cafe around the corner. It would have been nice for this to be free for guests.

I would definitely use this hotel again and it is perfect for a cosy few days in what is a very beautiful and cultured city.

One other tip - buy the 3 day museum pass. It costs 15 euro and covers so many locations, most of which charge 8 euros each to enter. I covered the cost in the first morning. As a lot of museums are closed on monday, if the card covers a monday, they give you an extra day.

Room Tip: Get a higher room at the back of the hotel, overlooking the canal
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Robin K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My girlfriend and I chose this hotel for a long weekend break in Brugge due to the price, location and positive reviews on Trip Advisor. It was a great choice and excellent value for money. The room was small and basic but very clean and all you need for a weekend. The breakfast was excellent and it is family run so if you arrive with a polite smile and 'hello', it is absolutely reciprocated by the hotel staff. After reading reviews on here I called in advance to ask for parking which we had from Friday evening to Sunday late afternoon and I'm glad I did. You have to pay on the street and this really did save us some cash, it's about a five minute walk out of town but underground and very secure. I'd absolutely recommend it.
Some tips for people travelling to Brugge if they don't know much about it and would like some additional information. Aside from booking the hotel, petrol and ferry, we set aside 300 Euros for spending money which was just enough. This left enough for good evening meals, boat trips, museum entry, drinks and miscellaneous. A pleasant half hour boat trip is 6.90 Euro and it's 4 Euros to go up the bell tower in the Market Square - worth while but there are 366 steps and is very narrow.
One IMPORTANT piece of advice though: DO NOT eat in the Market Square. Out hotel lady advised us not to, and other reviews advised us not to either. But being tourists that knew nothing about Brugge we obviously knew better! Not really, the food is very overpriced and not very nice at all. About 90 Euros for two starters, two mains and a couple of beers. The next day we walked a few minutes down a side street to a very nice restaurant for half the price and ten times the quality. It's quite easy to want to ignore the charm of the square and it's view in the evening but we learned to really not eat there.
Final tip, go to the 2BE beer shop, great beers and a very nice place to sit and lastly we went via Zeebrugge on the way back (10 miles out) and deffo worth it. Hope this helps :o)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple