“Great location, Poor hotel!”

St Christopher's Inn at the Bauhaus
Ranked #3 of 36 Specialty Lodging in Bruges
Reviewed February 18, 2006

My husband and are relatively young, and we travel a lot. We're accustomed to staying in hotels and hostels around the world, and we know that not every hotel is perfect. However, I looked at the Bauhaus's website and the place looked great. They have both a hostel and a hotel, and we chose the hotel because we were told it would be quieter than the hostel. When we got there, the staff were helpful, cheerful and friendly and it was in a terriffic location, right in the heart of Bruges. Then we saw our room. I will admit I have seen worse, but we did pick the hotel over the hostel and expected it to be decent! The carpet was disgusting, the beds were extremely uncomfortable, the room was dirty and dingy in general, and they had neglected to tell us that while we did have a closet sized shower in our room, the entire floor shared one single toilet at the end of the hall. That was entertaining. We stayed in room number 62, which was upstairs. The entire hallway smelled of urine and mildew, and it was cold too! In the wee hours of the morning we were woken up by loud neighbors and it sounded like the walls were made of paper. The breakfast in the morning was cereal, milk, coffe, tea, rolls and hardboiled eggs. Not too bad. I have to say, the sheets and towels were clean and we did have a dry roof over our heads and the staff was very nice and the location was super. Luckily we were only staying one night, because although this hostel wasn't horrible, it sure wasn't worth the almost 50 euro we paid for the night. Next time we go to Bruges (which was the best city I've ever been to, I loved it!!!) we will find another hostel!

• Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank wenzfam
There are newer reviews for St Christopher's Inn at the Bauhaus

Reviewed July 28, 2005

I should have learned by reading the negative reviews posted on this particular hostel. BUT I DIDN"T and I nearly ruined my trip to Bruges. This was a joke as one reviewer said, you check in at the bar (ALL WORKER QUITE RUDE AND NOT HELPFUL AT ALL) then I was put in a mixed sex room which had been flooded earlier this year; there was mold growing on the walls IT STUNK TO HIGH HEAVEN. There was no toilets for hostel guests, that's right you share with all the trash that is getting drunk in the bar. You literally have to walk to the bar use the single toilet and YUCK~!
Let me tell you all something....I was talking with the Cleaning girl she said to me, "Leave this place, it is groose and horribly dirty." She was the only nice thing abouth this hostel. Please don't stay here if you want enjoyable memories of Bruges.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank GirlWhoTravels
Reviewed July 22, 2005

We had a double room with bathroom, no toilet.

website ----

Postives
- OK location
- Lively bar/pub
- Cheap

Negatives
- Room smelt and was dingy
- Room looked run down with old furniture
- Shower was terrible and unclean
- Paper thin walls, with noisy neighbours - who arrived home drunk and loud (although this could be expected in a hostel)
- bar doubles as hostel reception
- front street door not locked at night

Only young travellers who want cheap and rough accom should stay here.
- pic of rooms on website looked very different to room we were allocated

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank plod
A TripAdvisor Member
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2005

This was my first time in a hostel.
On paper, the bauhaus sets a high standard for itself. In reality, it falls short in every possible area.
Enough said. You have been warned.

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2005

First, I was turned off by the fact that I was an afterthought while trying to check in for my 3-bed room. You see, the bar has a duel role of selling spirits and managing the hostel. Maybe I should have ordered a beer and in passing say that I wanted to check-in. They were more interested in the bar business than the hostel business. Brugge is wonderful and the place was cheap, so I would recommend the place for budget travellers. The shared shower facilities could have been more clean. The location is not ideal, but the historic town center is very walkable so it was not bad. A bus does run from the train station to the hostel or it will take to a good 15-20 minutes to hike up there.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank Viking-travels
A TripAdvisor Member
scotland
Reviewed February 19, 2005

well for young people who dont care where they are staying its all right!! what i mean is it is VERY basic the pub attaching it has the best atmosphere you could ever imagine but put it this way the first thing i saw was a pile of dog poo in the middle of the floor and the fact that a mouse appeared in our shower from the middle of nowher ws amazing! i think i liked it so much cos im young and dont get phased by it but i can understand why people dont like it. id go back but only for a couple of nights at the most. oh and may i add we had to dispose of the mouse ourselves as after the second day no one had got rid of it!!!!!!!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 19, 2004

I stayed in the hotel section and was not impressed. There was no reception for the hotel and the door to the street was apparently never locked. In the middle of the night (because the room had no deadbolt) someone opened the door to our room. The hotel smelled a bit moldy as well and the room was incredibly cramped.

4  Thank sixteencmg