“Lovely choc, they are a bit pushy!”
Review of Dumon Chocolatier

Dumon Chocolatier
Ranked #6 of 76 Shopping in Bruges
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I didn't have the awful experience, my person was chatty and nice. She did push the mixed boxes quite hard but did offer to swap ones I didn't want. Got some good choc advice generally too so ok.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Cannot comment on the quality of the chocolate in this chocolate shop as we walked out without buying after encountering one of the shop assistants!! There are several other reviews on here that I am sure speak of the same lady as I so after reading I feel more assured that this was not a one off isolated event.

Me and my wife went in as we had been looking for a place to put chocolates for our children back home. The building drew us in as it was lovely and when we entered there were two ladies upstairs. One middle aged and one younger lady. Neither greeted us although it should be noted the younger lady was serving someone. We made our way downstairs where an older lady greeted us and asked where we were from etc and seemed generally polite. She told us all the chocolate was made by her son. When we made our way back upstairs my wife spotted some chocolate containing hazelnut. She asked the middle aged lady upstairs how much it was and she pointed to display of chocolate in front of us. My wife picked one of the bars of chocolate up and the lady quickly snatched it from her hand and told her the price. My wife then asked how much the bigger bar was and the lady answered. My wife then went to take the bar back I order to put it back on the display and the lady would not let go of it! It was quite and awkward moment. My wife then tried again and again the lady held on tight and even then snatched it away and showed my wife the other side of the bar! My wife feeling awkward and not quite believing what had happened said "wow" and walked from the shop. We stopped outside where I said to my wife I could not quite believe what I just witnessed and how surreal it was and as we spoke I could see the lady staring a hole through us through the shop window!

It's a shame as we were willing and almost certainly going to spend money in this shop and the lady downstairs was fine but this one lady and her total lack of friendliness and basic human interaction skills drove us away. I know there are many many great reviews on here for this shop but I can only speak of our experience and it was terrible. We are respectable 40+ year old married couple and she acted like we were going to run out of the store with the chocolate! I am not sure why she held onto it like she did and snatched it away twice when there was tons of the stuff on display right by the door?. I was all a bit surreal!

If the older lady downstairs is the owner she should be more careful who she employs for the sake of her business!

2  Thank Largerbaloo
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I always enjoy the chocolate from here, great quality and friendly staff and service. The staff are knowledgeable and helpful

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Was hoping for a heavenly chocolate experience after all the rave reviews, (which staff in the shop didn't hold back telling us about numerous times) but was frankly very disappointed. The chocolates were far too sweet for my taste and didn't have any complexity of flavour from the cocoa. Dark chocolates were too bitter and not really balanced.
I suppose it comes down to personal preference, but I think cocoa fanatics would be better off somewhere else. Service was very friendly, but they do go in for a bit of a hard sell. Also, they seem keen to push their ready mixed boxes rather than letting you choose chocolates individually.
If you like sugar, this chocolatier is for you. If you like a more refined cocoa taste, go somewhere else.

1  Thank dillybansal
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I don't know what all these people bashing the service are talking about -- the service was the best part of our visit. Yeah, the chocolate is good. But we had a great time talking to the lady working behind the counter. She gave us some tips on Bruges from a local's perspective (places to eat, etc.), joked around and had a good time.

I recommend it if you're in Bruges.