“Lovely new shop on Simon Stevinplein”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dumon Chocolatier

Dumon Chocolatier
Ranked #5 of 75 Shopping in Bruges
Surrey
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Lovely new shop on Simon Stevinplein”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The photo above is of an older shop - the newer store on Simon Stevinplein is glossy, modern and wonderful to visit, decorated with cacao pods. You can look through a window to see the melted chocolate being tempered - so the pervading smell of molten chocolate is amazing.

We had none of the problem experienced by the previous reviewer. I visited on the Monday morning with two children who were welcomed and given a sample "chocolate letter". We toured the shop but didn't purchase anything as we wanted to see the other chocolate shops in Bruges (and there are LOTS to visit!).

Nevertheless, we all agreed that Dumon was the best and so we returned the following day and were again offered samples and welcomed with a smile. The children spent some pocket money and I bought a small box of my favourite chocolate discs with fruit and nust called "Studentenhaven" (also called Mendiants elsewhere in Europe). There was no pressure and the relatively low value of our purchase was not commented on and did not seem to offend the sales staff in any way.

2 Thank SpaStruckSurrey

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“2 chocolate fingers and the rudest sales lady in Bruges”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visited Bruges with 3 other friends at the bank holiday weekend. Upon leaving the town on Monday the 27th we visited Dumon following all the good reviews on tripadvisor.

We were waited by this middle aged woman who seems to be wearing a cold iron mask. There were no greetings or friendly smiles. Nor did we hear a thank you after the sales. None of my friends were impressed... above all however, the experience I had was close to an insult.

There was a minimum charge of 20 euros for any card purchases, but my selection came to 19 euros. So I suggested that she charge my card with 20 euros, but to add to my purchase some of the loose chocolate sticks - they are a bit like Cadbury's choc fingers, or even smaller in size. They are sold in the shop loose or pre-packed, in which case it was 6 euros for 25 to 30 of them.

After my payment the woman handed over my purchase, and put in my palm one chocolate stick. That's all I got.

I quickly asked, 'do you think it is fair to offer me one choc stick for one euro whilst you sell 25-30 of these for 6 euros?'

She apparently didn't consider the situation remotely embarrassing, but insisted that it was pre-agreed with me. I stood there for a few seconds holding my hand out, staring at her and wondering why I felt like a poor nursery school kid who's just been tricked... at that moment, to my bewilderment, she added another one in my hand!

So there I had it - one euro in exchange for two choc fingers. And heaps of laughter of course with my mates outside. Frankly, she's the rudest and most unhelpful sales lady in Bruges.

7 Thank Sheena_21x
“If you're ever in Bruges, you have to go here.”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I only got to stop in Bruges for a couple hours, as I was passing through to Paris, but it was a wonderful town. The highlight of my visit was the Dumon Chocolatier. This family owned chocolate store was quaint and welcoming. The owners were very nice, and the chocolate tasted amazing! Also, don't leave without buying some soft caramel.

Edinburgh
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Lovely chocolates”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Read the reviews for dumon bruges before we travelled to bruges.The shop is cute with too many chocolates to choose from!!Could had stayed there all day.The staff in the shop were very helpful and friendly.We bought 6 500g boxes and 4 250g boxes all lovely presented for gifts back home.Would recommend this shop for chocolate it's lovely and not over priced.

Alexandria, Virginia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent chocolate!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

You cannot go wrong with Belgian chocolate, and this place is one of the best. It is a family owned business and they really have a passion for their products. While hanging out in the store we spoke to one of the owners and Rick Steves even goes there every time he goes to Bruges.

Visited April 2013