“Chips!”

Cuisines: Dutch
Description: Just off the main square in bruges
Description: Just off the main square in bruges
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Arrived here while the world cup final was on in the square next to it. The atmosphere was great! Really hungry so 2 of us ordered mussels and chips, and me and another had the steak and chips. All meals were really tasty and good quality, the steak was a decent size. It was quite expensive. All the waiters were extremly busy as it was packed but never forgot about us once! Alot of beers to choose from too.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I never thought something like that can happen in a restaurant...! We went here in a group of 9 people for dinner. We were seated next to a guy who has been so drunk that in his sleep he was occasionally vomiting at himself. Our waiter did not care to wake him up and send him home. One of my friends discovered a piece of GLASS in his salad (about 3-4 cm long and sharp). When he addressed this to the waiter, waiter said that he must have planted it there himself and that all that he is willing to do with it is to give a reduction of 2 euro for the salad (since it was found in the salad). No apology or whatsoever. Then he asked us to leave. And between the doors the waiter verbally attacked our friend telling him that he is a whine-baby, that he hates French people and that if the rest of us wasn't there he would have punched him into his face. This was outrageous!!!
As for food - quality of the food is rather poor and at the same time over priced. You will get better and cheaper fries at any corner shop in Brugges.

2  Thank Alexandra F
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This restaurant should be avoided if you are planning to enjoy your time in Bruges. The food was very average, I was thinking all the time whether I'll get poisoned by the mussles we ordered or not (it was fine in the end). The price was ok, but I would have paid more in case, just not to experience that terrible service. Apparently, the staff, that consisted of immigrants from north Africa, is really bad trained. One of my friends found a piece of glass in his plate, and after he complained, the waiter started to abuse him, saying that it was him who put it there, and tried to start a fight. I don't understand the policy of this restaurant - if you make the customers, who leave money in your place, go home with bad experience, do you expect they will state silent about this?
A disreputable place! Strongly not recommended!

1  Thank Kerridyen
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Came to Bruges to taste the mussels, couldn't wait for the mussels and chips. My wife and I went to restaurant of the hotel du Singe d'Or but were rather saddened to be served over cooked hard mussels and soggy chips, wine was expensive for what it was, and it didn't have a restaurant feel, more like a conservatory!

1  Thank mr2wheels100
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This restaurant is right by the fountains in Bruges. The menu prices were very reasonable and the choice of food was quite varied. The small portions were actually a good size and very filling! As it is christmas time the restaurant had a beautifully old fashioned decorated tree and a lovely open fire which made it very cosy. It was quite busy and there appeared to be quite a few local people dining there which I always take as a good sign. The staff were pleasant and efficient - they also discreetly but firmly dealt with a group of Eastern European men who were a bit lecherous and loud. Their friend who was a little worse for wear broke one of their tables then promptly left the restaurant leaving his friends to take the flack and pay the bill. We would quite happily return here and you get good food if you are on a budget!