“Not our "cup of tea"”

724 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,719 helpful votes
“Not our "cup of tea"”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The temporary exhibit was a modern artist. We did not care for his works. We had hoped the house would be interesting inside, but it was not. Entrance was included in our Brugge Museum Pass.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank luvroma2

• Hungarian first
The Netherlands
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Arentshuis Museum”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I only went to this museum because it was combined with the Groeningemuseum, and I had the City Pass. It is a very beautiful building, but a small collection of art work. I spent more time in the park outside the museum, it has some really beautiful sculptures. I much preferred the Groeningemuseum!

Visited April 2014
Perth Australia
185 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 315 helpful votes
“Frank Brangwyn Collection”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I confess that my art knowledge is very limited, and truly I wouldn't be able to identify one painter from another. With this in mind, after a bit of research I opted to see what Frank Brangwyn had to offer. I felt that maybe I might be able to appreciate his work because he worked with lots of different mediums. I'm glad I took a punt.
The Arenthuis is located in a lovely building, the ground floor is for temporary displays; housed on the first floor is the Frank Brangwyn collection. This showcases some furniture (I loved the cross shaped table), ceramics, glassware, carpets, engravings and art work. Brangwyn seemed to be an artistic chameleon, some of his work is light and bright, almost playful; others are really quite dark, visually and metaphorically. He painted many themes some religious (I was so impressed with the detail in the charcoal/ink/pencil Stations of the Cross), some showing day to day life (the docks and factories), some that looks as though he's in the Middle East (voluptuous ladies) or Spain. In many of his works you can sense the soul of his subjects.
For someone who doesn't know a lot about art but notices details, or likes unpredictability of expression in an artist, then maybe this is the gallery for you.
Don't forget to check out tiny St Boniface Bridge that spans the canal between the Arenthuis and the Gruutehuse Museum. Surely it must be one of the tiniest bridges anywhere.
Also in the park are the bronze Horsemen of the Apocalypse made in a very interesting manner.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank 35yrdream
Kettering, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Discovered Brangwyn”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I must confess we had not known of Frank Brangwyn but went to the Arenthuis with our City Pass which gave us free entry. We were very impressed by the etchings of both Brangwyn and Jules de Bruycker, but somewhat disappointed that there was no jewellery and little else of Brangwyn's apart from his paintings and engravings. A well-laid out exhibition and museum though. And the three day city pass was well worth the money as there is so much of interest included ( even the Ice Sculpture Show at the station).

Visited December 2013
Bruges, Belgium
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Museum Arentshuis”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Has never been a very succesful exhibition place. Very nice building but needs to get another function that attracts more art-lovers. Very nice situation. Look the the horses of the apocalyps in the park. Look to the 'devil' his horse and his attribute

Visited December 2013