“Perfection”

Ranked #2 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Londonderry, Northern Ireland
“Perfection”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We booked the Prinsenhof having read the very positive reviews on Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. It is hard to identify any way in which our stay this small hotel could be improved - perhaps the staff could be a little less hospitable. My wife and I would play a game whereby we would try to sneak in or out of the hotel without provoking a cheerful "Goodbye, "Hallo", "Enjoy your day", but never once succeeded. The room was very comfortable, the hotel was quiet and even though we were at the front of the hotel, we experienced very little traffic noise; the hotel is on a small road. As with other continental hotels there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room but this is normal and we had brought our own travel kettle. The breakfast was superb and as we had booked a b+b holiday through Cresta was included in the price. I would not want to be paying the hotel prices if I was booking with the hotel direct, but the price of £500 for three nights including, Eurostar from London was very reasonable, especially for the quality. The hotel is only a short walk from the main square. The train station is a 20 minute walk, mostly through a park. A taxi from the station to the hotel is 8 euros.
The hotel is extending into the property next door and in addition to increasing the number of bedrooms this will help to improve the facilites on the ground floor, providing a larger breakfast room and bar.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying in our room at the front of the hotel on the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed March 26, 2012

First off, this is an expensive hotel. I paid 175 per night for the room and breakfast was an additional 20 euro per person. So this was a really special treat, which I very rarely do. But I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about spending this money on what was the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in; and I've stayed in a lot of hotels. The staff were friendly and helpful, warm and welcoming. The hotel was spotless and the decor (in my opinion) just gorgeous. The room we stayed in was just beautiful. It was in the main part of the hotel on the third floor. I was tempted to take photos and replicate it at home I was so comfortable there. The location is great, as it's just off one of the main shopping streets and a five minute walk from Grote Markt. Despite the great location, it was quiet and cosy. 20 euro per person is a lot for breakfast, but it was delicious and the service was fantastic. If you are like my other half and elegant decor etc. is of no interest to you, then I suspect it might be a bit too costly for you. If, however, you're the sort of person who gets a lot of enjoyment out of staying in beautiful surroundings and having silver service breakfasts (for example, if you are the sort of person who enjoys afternoon tea), then this is definitely the hotel for you. I stayed here with my mother, who adored it as much as I did.

Room Tip: I didn't see any other rooms except my own, but mine was a new room but in the main part of the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ToniFromDublin
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Arrived for 3 night stay and were originally given a room to the back of the hotel in a motel type extension with (other people's) cars parked right in front of the door. Fortunately, upon our request, the staff were very helpful in moving us to a first floor room in the main building. This was fine with all the expected facilities. Reception very helpful in recommending and booking battlefields tour. Breakfast was fine although the breakfast room is rather cramped.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building not the "motel"
2 Thank Mr_MrsB_12
London
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights for a mini moon and it was perfect. Centrally located, small hotel, staff very lovely and not too invasive, yummy breakfast, great decoration and lovely rooms. We did the culninary experience and the 2 restaurants were top notch. The first, Kardinalshof (?), was absolutely perfect- see separate review. We had room 32 with jacuzzi and four poster bed and as a lovely surprise they provided us with a bottle of champagne as it was our honeymoon. Would highly recommend. We booked it because it was rated one of all hotels in Bruges so wanted to write this review to ensure they stay up there!
As an add on there were some building works going on next door and on the ground floor of the hotel but didn't notice any noise.

3 Thank carareynoldsonLondon
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Belgium and a stay at the most comfortable and welcoming hotel I have encountered in Europe. Our stay at the Hotel Prinsenhof in Brugge, Belgium began with a warm and informational welcome by the proprietor himself, Thierry Lemahieu. He provided us with several luncheon suggestions, mapped out a variety of walking tours, stored our luggage, and provided an accurate estimate for our room availability.

The room was itself was large, bright, airy, and its various features were demonstrated by the hotel's friendly front desk staffers Paulien and Astrid. The four poster bed was beautiful, and, most importantly, extremely comfortable. The bathroom and separate toilet room were wonderful. For the first time EVER in Europe and almost ever in the USA, it included a DOUBLE sink. There was a whirlpool tub and a separate, very roomy, shower stall.

The location of the hotel is wonderful. It is a short walk down a side street from one of the main commercial way in town. While convenient, it is far enough away from the bustle so that it is extremely quiet.

As I was getting settled in the room, I noticed a welcoming letter from the proprietors. It was personally prepared for us with our names on it, a very nice touch. It described in detail the hotel services including the delicious breakfast-buffet, an included and excellent guided city walking tour, speedy and reliable included wi-fi, a new DVD-CD player and a selection of recent movies, and turn-down service. What was most impressive about the letter is that it named every member of the service team and used the term OUR hotel. I knew right away that the management was both proud and respectful of their service team.

If you are planning a trip to Brugge, don’t even think about staying elsewhere. Your experience will be spectacular.

HGS, MD

Room Tip: You can’t lose with any of them.
8 Thank hgsmd716
Connecticut
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We just returned from a two-night stay at Hotel Prinsehof and I must say that from the moment we walked in, the hospitality, warmth, friendliness, professionalism -- and beauty! -- was apparent. We were greeted by the proprietor, Thierry Lemahieu who clearly loves what he does. His wife, Katrien, who we met later, too, was always pleasant and helpful. Their staff are all well trained and couldn’t be more accommodating, anticipating needs and always providing the best in service with a smile and positive, friendly attitude.

The hotel is conveniently located, a mere 3-minute walk to the Markt and yet, it is romantic and tranquil. Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated with fine fabrics and bedding. The bathroom was unbeatable in Europe, as we had two sinks and, for once, a place to put everything! We also had a Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, and, my favorite, a heated towel rack!

The breakfast buffet was traditional with a huge array of meats, cheeses, breads, spreads, eggs, juices, coffee -- and again, generous and filling. A wonderful way to start the day!

TIP: We were given vouchers upon our arrival for a 2-1/2 walking tour, of which we did take advantage. Our guide was wonderful, well-spoken, and extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend taking advantage of this.

I wish there were more places like Hotel Prinsehof. This exquisite hotel, the owners, and the staff truly is a gem!

6 Thank JudyG
Surrey
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I decided to use the Prinsenhof based on TA reviews and therefore arrived with very high expectations and a little bit of cynical scepticism.
However my guests and I were not disappointed. Our rooms were superb, the hotel was quiet but yet very close to the city centre. Our car was valet parked and fetched whenever we came and went. Breakfast was excellent and frankly there was nothing to complain about.
Sometimes small family run hotels can seem a little too personal but the Lemahieu family manage to hit exactly the right blend of personal service without overstepping the mark.
If you need to stay in Bruges you would be silly not to stay here - it represents everything a hotel should be. We used the hotel as a base to travel to Brussels, Leper etc as well as see Bruges.

Room Tip: We had two rooms on 2nd floor, a standard and a deluxe. If you need a walk-in shower rather than an...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family