“Awesome atmosphere”

Basilica of the Holy Blood
Ranked #9 of 125 things to do in Bruges
More attraction details
Owner description: This chapel contains a phial that reputedly contains Christ's blood brought back from the Crusades.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Don't just go into the main larger area. To the left is an older part of the basilica which I really liked. There are a few statues and things to admire, and the choir music playing was beautiful and compelled me to spend a few minutes sitting there soaking it all in. I actually enjoyed spending time in that smaller area a lot more than visiting some of the grander architecturally impressive basilicas that I've visited.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,536)
All reviews
in 133 reviews
"prayer"
in 124 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I enjoyed the treasury room of this location, and the chapel itself. However, if you aren't religious, then think carefully before you go here. It's not the best place for a boisterous family, as you must be silent when you enter the basilica out of respect for the relic there. I did not wait in line to see the relic, as I am not at all religious, but it did make me a little frustrated that tourists would march into a place like that and have full voice conversations until an usher quieted them. A very beautiful place, but mind your manners!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A real working church with so much history. Try to go on a Friday morning when the Holy Blood is on display

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We didn't think much of this basilica upon our first pass as we toured through the town square of Bruges, but once we learned of the vial supposedly containing Christ's blood that was present here we were fascinated and made a point of returning to check it out. The basilica is very nice and was not very busy at all. It was a cool experience to view the vial and I'd recommend checking this basilica out.