“Good Local Menu, Nice Ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Francais

Cafe Francais
Ranked #612 of 706 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Traditional Belgian cuisine. Belgian beers. Heated terrace. Fire place.
“Good Local Menu, Nice Ambience”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This was the first restaurant my wife and I tried in Bruges. We were a little sceptical at first because we wouldn't normaly choose a restaurant on a 'Markt' (tourist trap). But we were freezing cold and the place looked very busy and warm inside. It was lunch time so it was very busy but we managed to get a seat (not near the fireplace unfortunately). I had a really fabulous steak and fries, my wife had a traditional chicken stew (flemish) very tasty . Importantly, the beers were beautiful too. One word of advice, when they offer a 'large' beer...they do mean "LARGE" (and not cheap). My beer was the most expensive thing on my bill but I loved it. Bit pricey but any half decent restaurant is on the pricey side in Bruges I found. I would go there again!

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
hull
“Great view shame about the food”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I know that it is my fault for going against advice and picking a restaurant in the main square, but it was a rainy New Year's Day evening and the roaring fire looked enticing. My adult children had burgers which they said were ok - but at 17 euros + another 4.50 for fries, I expect a bit more than ok. My wife had an average omelette. I am a big fan of mussels so selected this dish in white wine - they were very mediocre but worse was to come as about half way through I pulled out a mussel that was full of black sludge. I asked the waiter what it was and he insisted it was a mussel! After I insisted that it wasn't he said he would get me some more - I said that I really didn't want any. To be fair he did turn up with a half portion but I really couldn't face the thought of eating them so he took hem away. He did not respond very well at all to the feedback. So poor food, bad service oh and yes the loos were in a terrible state too - avoid this place.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank stuart g
“Just a good location. Anything else just horrible.”
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We have not enough words to descrive how horrible our exoerience was.
My wife and myself went there in our first night in Brugges. We had mussels as starter, just edible.
Then the main courses arrived. Beef stew: you could use the meat as a weapon to throw. Salmon with lobster sauce: perhaps the salmon met the lobster when alive, it's hard to cook such a dried salmon in a very bad taste sauce.
We just left after paying an inflated bill and won't come back again. I hope nobody does.

3 Thank Adrián M
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Awful Food”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My partner and I decided to try this bistro after having a wonderful dining experience at "de carre", a few doors away from "Cafe Francais". What a mistake we made. On a positive note, the waiter's offered a good service. And now for the important stuff. Do not visit this restaurant. The atmosphere was depressing - no laughter, no conversation happening around us. The decor did not cheer me up either. Equally depressing was the music playing that made me want to put an end to my misery at this place. My immediate instincts told me that the food would not make up for its surroundings. How wrong I was, as the food was even worse than I imagined. My partner tried to remain more optimistic than me but eventually gave in by the second course. Neither of us could eat our main meals. The starters were poor but as we had already ordered the main meals and wine, we stayed to continue the course. However, as already stated, we could not eat our main meals. They looked absolutely awful and taste was diabolical. I had dover sole. It was supposed to be pan-fried and filleted, but it was not. Instead, it was soggy and full of fish bones. We decided not to continue to eat our main meals as we both felt that we were likely to be sick if we continued with the course, and asked for the bill and left.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Bimla K
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Just OK”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited Brugge on Wednesday mainly for the Christmas Market (which was not the best) needing food we tried Café Francais, who were advertising mussels (a favourite), the mussels were very good and the 15 euro portion enough for me with frites. My husband had pork escallop which he found disappointing. The waiter was indifferent and the cost of a very basic meal with two beers was on the high side, Probably best to seek somewhere away from the market square.

• Visited November 2013