“Absolutely Awful Food”
Review of Cafe Francais

Cafe Francais
Ranked #625 of 749 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Description: Traditional Belgian cuisine. Belgian beers. Heated terrace. Fire place.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My partner and I decided to try this bistro after having a wonderful dining experience at "de carre", a few doors away from "Cafe Francais". What a mistake we made. On a positive note, the waiter's offered a good service. And now for the important stuff. Do not visit this restaurant. The atmosphere was depressing - no laughter, no conversation happening around us. The decor did not cheer me up either. Equally depressing was the music playing that made me want to put an end to my misery at this place. My immediate instincts told me that the food would not make up for its surroundings. How wrong I was, as the food was even worse than I imagined. My partner tried to remain more optimistic than me but eventually gave in by the second course. Neither of us could eat our main meals. The starters were poor but as we had already ordered the main meals and wine, we stayed to continue the course. However, as already stated, we could not eat our main meals. They looked absolutely awful and taste was diabolical. I had dover sole. It was supposed to be pan-fried and filleted, but it was not. Instead, it was soggy and full of fish bones. We decided not to continue to eat our main meals as we both felt that we were likely to be sick if we continued with the course, and asked for the bill and left.

1  Thank Bimla K

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited Brugge on Wednesday mainly for the Christmas Market (which was not the best) needing food we tried Café Francais, who were advertising mussels (a favourite), the mussels were very good and the 15 euro portion enough for me with frites. My husband had pork escallop which he found disappointing. The waiter was indifferent and the cost of a very basic meal with two beers was on the high side, Probably best to seek somewhere away from the market square.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had a lovely dinner here on our first night in Bruges. Great location on the square and across from the Belfry, you couldn't ask for better. Our waiter was very nice and encouraged us to sit outside. It was November, the heaters were on full blast and it was a great decision, we were very comfortable. Being in Belgium, I went with the mussels in white wine with frites. They were excellent and plentiful. My husband went with the pork cutlet which he loved, especially the gravy. Dessert was, of course, waffles and pancakes lol! Both were accompanied by whipped cream and were light and delicious. I guess we caught them on a good night?

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The advertising board outside this restaurant had pictures of a waffle, a slice of cake and a hot beverage with the caption ' Non Stop Kitchen'. Feeling slightly peckish, we decided that waffles and coffee would hit the spot. We sat for what seemed like an age when the waiter finally condescended to take our order. We were abruptly told that we could not have waffles as they were only served between 2pm and 5pm - so much for 'Non Stop Kitchen'! When we opted just for a coffee we were told very rudely that this was a restaurant and that we needed to order food! The menus were brusquely removed from us by this very ill-mannered waiter. We went next door to Da Mario Pizzeria - waitering staff were efficient and friendly. And I got my waffle!

3  Thank Bokjol
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Three of our group had plaice in breadcrumbs which arrived looking like burnt toast. I had Flemish Stew which arrived cold so not a good start. All the meals were replaced but we all wished we had left after the starters. The "house wine" was a huge rip off at 29 euros a bottle. And Flemish stew to me is an acquired taste. The lesson here is keep away from the Markt and head for the streets off. The Cafe Francais seems to serve ready made reheated food.

1  Thank pomiejohn