“Quite possibly one of the worst Restaurants I have ever been to!”

Brasserie Strijdershuis
Ranked #631 of 767 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Brasserie Strijdershuis is located next to the Belfry of Bruges, in a historical building of which parts date back to the 12th century. Besides a selection of over 50 Belgian beers, a wide variety of hot drinks, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, juices and milk shakes is available. The kitchen is open non-stop and offers snacks, pastas, salades, meat and fish dishes, Flemish specialties, pancakes and waffles. Brasserie Strijdershuis is as well an ideal location for group events, both private and professional.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I am usually such a positive person, but I had to write this to warn other people about how bad I thought this restaurant was.

My wife and daughters went for a meal there on Saturday night. Once sat down we had to wait ages to be asked for our order (a good 15 minutes I would say). Once we had ordered, it seemed to take for ages for the starters to arive and when they did, my Onion Soup was possitively cold and this wasn't just because I had to wait another few minutes because they hadn't brought a spoon for me either! Once we had finished it took the staff another age to clear the table. We then had to wait even longer for the main course to arive. So long in fact that another table had come in, ordered, had their starter, had their main course and nearly finished it by the time I decided to get up and complain. When I did so they gave a poor excuse that the machine in the kitchen had a fault and our order had not been correctly received there. The waiter even said to me "Technology, eh? Can't trust it!" Well, yes, maybe. But isn't that why there is an "art" of being a waiter, i.e. keeping an eye on the tables and knowing how long your guests have been waiting. In other words; the manual human override. I'm not one of these people who complain and expect a load of freebies, but all they offered by way of an apology was two cokes for my daughters.

When the main courses arrived, I had the Flemish Stew which, again, was very cold in parts. Almost frozen in fact. I maybe should and could have complained again, but by that point (this was around 22:00 and we had got in around 20:00) I just could not be bothered and just wanted to finish, pay and get out. To be fair, my wife did say she enjoyed her meal (can't remember what she had) and the girls never seemed to moan about theirs. Maybe they were just so hungry by that point!

Again, at the point of paying, their inattention to where guests are with things showed. They never came to actually clear the table and after a few minutes of waiting I just got up and went to pay at the bar.

So, in summary, very poor and unobservant waiter service and not very good, ill prepared food.

It was like eating at Faulty Towers! Sorry guys, it could have been so much better!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have just been for a meal at this restaurant ,Service was exceptionally slow and not very welcoming. I ordered the Angus steak - when it eventually came it was rather small but I said nothing. I cut into the steak at the edge and managed to get 2 pieces which were edible. The remainder of the steak was un edible and un cutable!!! We tried to get the waiters attention - after 5 - 10 mins we eventually managed, by this time my husband had finished his meal! I explained it was full of fat and I could not eat this he shook his head and took the plates. We then asked for the bill and the 20euro steak was still there - we complained to which he replied we had eaten the rest of the meals - yes but they were adequate not great but eatable, we are happy to pay for those but not the steak - the waiter was very rude and refused to compromise. We eventually paid and left please DO NOT EAT HERE YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY IT IS OVERPRICED AND QUALITY IS EXTREMELY POOR!!!!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had reservated a table, when we got there we got a table at the exit, across the toilettes.
I was very cold and dirty.
The staff was rude.
It was the first time and it will be the last time ever.
My wife got a some wine into broken glas.

1  Thank MickLog
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Rude staff, cold crappy food, overpriced for the crap they serve you. This resturant is only in existance because it nails the one time only tourist and thats it. We got sick off the mussles. Do your self a favor and no matter how cold, or rainy or how cute it looks DONT GO THERE IT SUCKS!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

right across the road from our hotel martins,had another lovely meal tried the flemish stew great choice service excellent choice of wine v good,wife had salmon on bed of leeks and spring onions well impressed

1  Thank catherine d