“Delightfully Different”
Review of Die Swaene

Die Swaene
Ranked #60 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Die Swaene's is definitely a unique hotel. Parts of it are just down right stunning and others are well.... a bit worn down. As many of the other reviewers mentioned, there are two buildings to the hotel, the one which sits right on the river, and the main area just across the street. We stayed in the main hotel in a standard room.

The lobby is very cool and the location is just terrific, so when you walk in you can't help but to be slightly impressed. The receptionist was also the concierge and the bartender.... she was as lovely as could be considering her expanded role. She ferried our luggage (with our help!) up to room 48.... on the second floor (another little oddity...)

Our standard room looked not to dissimilar to my grandmothers attic. On first glance it appeared as designed that way, however the very old TV and dated phone gave away the fact that it wasn't so much designed as perhaps just left as it was a few centuries ago. It was a spacious room however and it had all the necessities usually desired (mini bar, toiletries, bathrobes, slippers etc). Only real negative was that It did get very stuffy in our room and I noticed the air conditioning unit looked a bit tired. I can't imagine it would have been very quiet if we had needed to run it.

The bar in the hotel is very quaint and the pool area is quite nice even if it felt like I was swimming at someone's house. The breakfast area was also housed in a lovely little room. These little nooks certainly gave the hotel a refreshing character which is lost in most chains and minimalist boutique hotels.

I think the negative is that the hotel is listed as a Small Luxury Hotel of the World. I would not call it luxurious. It was indeed a Small Unique Hotel and the fact that it wasn't luxurious added to it's eccentricity, however as one is paying a premium price for a room which has that title, no doubt the average traveller would indeed expect more.

I'd stay here again.... probably trying a Pergola Room (next to the Pergola Restaurant), especially if I scored a decent deal. I did love the location (minutes from everything yet quiet), the hotel parking was simple (10 euros) and the staff were so friendly. Bruges is just such a wonderful city it's hard not to be biased and just think that everything associated with it was fabulous. Hopefully the Die Swaene updates just a few parts of this wonderful hotel and then it really would be simply amazing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rachel1372

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Die Swaane is a hotel with two properties on either side of a canal/river. We stayed in Room 75 over the hotel's restaurant, The Pergola. The room had a fireplace, very comfortable king size bed with his and hers duvets and a humongous bathroom by European standards. The room overlooks the canal so we had lovely view, though for those of you who like to sleep in and are light sleepers, the boat tours are audible inside the room (not a problem for us; didn't wake us up). The staff is incredibly nice and helpful, and the breakfast included with the room includes eggs cooked to order, pastries, bagels, cereal and yogurt. The only caveat I give is the shower in the bathroom is elevated and there is no mat in the shower, so it was slippery and not easy to get in and out of.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor above the Pergola are a bit quieter
2  Thank Kili_Aztec
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bruges is my dream city. It is ancient and elegant and has a real European touch in its appearance. It was my third visit to city and I must say that every time I come here my stay is longer than the last time. This time we stayed here for five days!! My excitement knew no bound when my husband informed that we have got our bookings done at Hotel DieSwaene..it was too much information for me to sink in. This hotel is beyond words.
When we came here last time, we could not get into this hotel due to no availability of rooms but this time we got lucky.
Our room was a double one with big windows and the most comfortable bed. Bathrooms were perfectly clean..just as I like them to be.
Service is perfect here, you just call and they will be at your service.
It is situated in the most peaceful street of the city and you can spend your evenings here, sitting beside the window..looking across the canal, enjoying the peace of moment. It was like our second honeymoon.
Though we have spent most of our time visiting different places but I would treasure the time I have spent here..

1  Thank Cristi S
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hotel Die Swaene has enormous potential but unfortunately there are areas that are old and outdated.. The location is superb and the staff is wonderful. Breakfast was very nice and served in a beautiful room.

The major issue were the bedrooms. As the reviewer stated before, it is equivalent to staying in my great grandmother's bedroom. The decor had an old world feeling, but is old and worn. The blowdryer was difficult to use. The bed was very uncomfortable and it was 2 singles attached together. There was only a polyester comforter on the bed that did not have a cover. The bed did not have a flat sheet, only a fitted sheet. The television was very small and did not have CNN or BBC. All of the rooms that faced the canal were very dark and the lighting was poor. The bathroom is in need of updating. There is no fan and the bathroom door automatically closes so it remains humid after a shower.

The decor of the lobby was sufficient. It is in need of updating but fits in with the feeling of Brugge. We stayed in the main building. There are rooms across the canal that are much nicer but it did not feel as they were part of the hotel. They felt more like apartments.

Brugge is an amazing city. The food and restaurants were excellent. When Hotel Die Swaene is refurbished, it will be an excellent hotel. I am very surprised it is still a Small Leading Hotel.
Thank goodness for the wonderful staff because the helped make up where the hotel lacked.

1  Thank dgely
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The hotel is on a canal. It is 3 minutes from the main square and walking distance to all sights. The staff were very friendly. The hotel is an amalgam of old buildings. We were in the old wing in the Royal Suite. Our room was decorated by my wife's great grandmother. The room had a nice view of the canal. There was a nice loveseat, table and chairs. The tv had almost no stations. There was a poor heating/ac system although is was digital. The bathroom was modern with a small shower. The bedroom had a wardrobe. The bed and pillows were uncomfortable and were not down. The breakfast buffet was good- cheeses, meats, and fish. However, the croissants and brioche tasted store bought. The related restaurant, Le Pergola was nothing special. It was not poor but not outstanding.

Room Tip: Try a modern room.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have to start by saying that I really liked this hotel. It is not your standard fare, very individual and if your used to eurobox style identical rooms, stay somewhere else. Rooms are old fashioned, clean but basic by modern standards. I didnt go to watch tv, listern to an ipod etc, if I had I would have been disappointed. However, for a charming individual experience in a great location it was excellent. We had dinner in their restaurant across the canal. It was great. Overall I have dropped stars for the price - a bit toppy, and the age of the bedroom and bathroom fittings.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tunkeyandthemonkey
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Being a writer I get to wander around the world to meet new people, see new places in connection with my work. This time I went to Bruges, Belgium..to meet some publisher for my new novel and found out that not only for the meeting but for writing also.. Bruges is the city. I checked into the Hotel DieSwaene...and it was the perfect romantic setting which I was hoping to find for the starting of my novel. Peaceful and romantic are the words for this place....location is great. There is a canal right in front of this place which makes it looks like super classic. My room was very elegant and service was beyond description...very much touched I was with the way they treated me. I wish I could stay here for long enough to finish my novel off but alas! It was not the case..nevertheless..I promise to myself that if I could not find another this much perfect setting to end my novel, I will come back here definitely.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo