“Back in 2007...”
Review of Hotel Erasmus

Hotel Erasmus
Ranked #208 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I traveled here some time ago with my Dad on a trip through Belgium. Small, modern, very nice, pretty quiet. The hotel owner was a really nice guy, and actually one of the most pleasant parts of staying here. The integrated restaurant and bar was fantastic. I asked him about the name of the place, and a few hours later, we were still drinking beer and talking philosophy and history with him; he waved me away when I tried to pay for the drinks, saying that is basically why he redid the place and named it what he did; he was trying to add some nice culture and cultivate a good mentality and a good place to stay when in Brugge.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights, in June 2004, so this is a much belated review. The room I stayed in was modestly furnished, and the bed too cramped against a wall. Bathroom was clean and well equipped. The restaurant was good but a bit expensive. Hotel was located in city centre, near main square and walking distance to the museums and cathedral. I would recommend this hotel for budget travellers who want a central location with good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank CanadianEagle747
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights.
The location is wonderful. Right on a main street in Bruges a block or two away from the main square, and the view from our room was amazing! There was street noise during the day, but it wasn't a bother at night. This hotel is said to be a great hotel for beer lovers. We were on a beer trip to Belgium, and it is true that the hotel's restaurant has a good beer selection. But I don't see how you can say that the hotel itself is good for beer lovers - just the restaurant part.
The room was small, as was the bathroom. The biggest problem we had with this hotel was the bed. I know that many european hotels just push two twin beds together to make a queen bed, but this was horrible. It wasn't just two twin mattresses pushed together, but two twin beds, complete with wooden bed frames. That meant that there was a BIG and uncomfortable gap in the middle of the bed, that actually HURT to lay on because the wood from the sides of both beds stuck into you. So my husband and I each had to lay on our own side of the bed. Even doing that, the gap widened during the night as the beds pushed apart.
There was supposed to be internet in the room, but it didn't work. We had to go down the restaurant to use internet.
The staff speaks English, the restaurant was pretty good, and the location was great.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DLMEST
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I recently went to Bruges with my wife and baby daughter and during the course of our visit we stopped at Hotel Erasmus. The waiter asked if we were stopping for lunch or just drinks. We said we were just stopping fro drinks. The waiter then looked down his nose at us and said 'oh English'. We were then left to sit at our table feeling awkward while others came in and were served and received their drinks. After 30 minutes of being ignored by the waiter we decided to leave.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank bwood815
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Located in the heart of the old town, on the canal. The owner can give you advice on the various local chocolate stores that are so unique.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterNVivi
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We found our stay here to be great! The location was perfectly located to all the restaurants, shopping and things to do. If you are a light sleeper, the noise outside at night might bother you. It didn't bother me, though. The bed was very comfortable and the room had a great view of the street below. The owner was very friendly and helpful when we had questions about where certain things were.

We also ate in the restaurant downstairs for dinner one night. It was a little pricey, but very tasty. I would recommend eating there if you want to splurge a little.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kmthoennes
Reviewed June 20, 2010

This small hotel right in the center of old town Bruges was excellent value for money. The total bill was 100 Euros including breakfast for two and the room which we got at 75 Euros for the night. Parking in Bruges is difficult everywhere but Hotel Erasmus is less than 300m from one of the cities large underground carparks (Pandreitje) that is €8,70 / 24 hours.
The room was clean and well appointed with a good shower/bathroom, minibar and as always in Bruges, good views.
Its a small hotel spead over a number of floors but there is an elevator. The number of rooms is extremely limited which leads to a nice atmosphere and a very personal service from the friendly staff. We didnt eat in the restaurant but the standard of food looked good and there was a large choice of Belgian beers and other drinks on offer.

All in all a really nice stay in a very central hotel at a good value rate.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple