“A good place to stay to see Bruges”
Review of Martin's Brugge

Martin's Brugge
Ranked #41 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A straight forward city centre hotel. Rooms are not big and there are no tea making facilities but its clean, and right in the heart of the tourist centre of Bruge. Lots of places to eat near the hotel. And breakfast has enough variety to please British and continental visitors. I agree with most 5 star, four star and three star reviewers.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Northumberlandscout
Write a ReviewReviews (3,016)

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just off the main square ,yet in a quiet location,so ideal for a short break.This hotel is great as a base ,close to shop restaurants etc.
However if you want more than just that it would not suit.The rooms are small ,clean ,modern but with only the basics.Breakfast is self service with a really good varied selection,but really busy,so not to be lingered over! There is a small bar with good selection.Free wi fi is easily available.
In summary a nice base to explore Brugge,a hotel that is clearly aimed at tourists and does that job well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steveandkaren19
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a good choice in Brugge, as it is conveniently located to the main historic square, yet on a quiet street. It does, however, get busy with tourists, and does not seem to open its restaurant beyond breakfast, but there are many choices within 1 to 3 blocks walk. The rooms are basic, but very comfortable and the bedding crisp and clean. Maid service tended to be late, but did a nice job, replacing wet towels with fresh ones. Breakfast, sadly, does not start until 7 and then it is a mob scene if tour buses have registered. We had to line up at 6:50 a.m. everyday to get out for reasonable light for photography.

Room Tip: My room was close to the elevator and noise was not an issue.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank menardjayne
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a flying visit to Brugge. Location wise it's good being right in the heart of the old town although I would point out that when in Brugge as long as you are in the old town the the location is good given it's so small.

As an aside, if you're travelling to Brugge and thinking of not staying in the medieval centre then I would seriously think again regardless of the money you will save as you will sort of be missing the point.

The hotel is pretty much a standard modern 3 star and while the price is high in general terms for this standard in Brugge terms it's actually reasonable enough (think Brussels prices and double them).

My main complaint would be that the room was so hot I couldn't sleep which given I'd had a few Belgian beers before going to bed this is saying something, seriously it was like a sauna. This may be a thing in Belgium as there was a cold snap when we visited and the place we stayed in Brussels was the same with everybody we met commenting on just how cold it was (I didn't think it was that bad but I'm from Scotland) so perhaps they just wanted to make sure we were comfortable. To be honest I should have said something to the management but since we were only there for a night I didn't bother.

Another weird thing was that for some reason they won't give you two keys for the room. So, when my wife went to bed but I decided to have a nightcap in the bar with our friends afterwards I had to ask the porter to accompany me up to my room and let me in. This struck me as both odd and pointless.

Speaking of the bar it's a nice addition as often these kind of hotels either don't have them or have something like a section of the lobby doubling as the bar which is not really what you want. Here they have a decent selection of drinks and it stays open late enough serving for us as a meeting point and as a place to have one last beer before turning in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank OutragedD9
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was very delighted to get the room at the top with the wonderful view of the Belfry tower, the white clouds of Bruges and the smoking chimneys...The room was not very big, but just enough, everything was very clean, smelled nicely, friendly staff and nice atmosphere. The bar could be open longer hours, but...with all the nice places outsidde, maybe no need for that...
The central location is a great bonus!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Veselina G
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is an old building that has been extended so a bit of an unusual layout but perfectly situated for a break in Bruges right beside the Belfry. When we were there it was raining but they have a lovely internal garden which I'm sure would be great in good weather. We had a very spacious room although it had sloping ceilings it was not a problem. The staff were all lovely. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DianeBowie
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Anyone wanting a pleasant, modern hotel located very centrally could do much worse than booking Martins. I've stayed there twice, once with a group of friends and most recently with my partner. Both experiences were similar so I believe this review can be regarded as pretty reliable (I've read some of the poor reviews on here and I don't recognise them as being typical of my experiences). During my most recent visit the check in was handled swiftly and pleasantly. Our double room was small but clean and modern. My only minor criticism would be the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room. We were allowed to leave our baggage in a secure store after checking out which enabled us to enjoy our last day in Bruges without being lumbered with suitcases. I would recommend Martins to anyone seeking a centrally located, affordable hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple