“Right In City But Rooms Are Small” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Martin's Brugge

Martin's Brugge
Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Essex
“Right In City But Rooms Are Small”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had a 3 night stay in October 2012 on a tour organised by Riviera Travel via Eurostar.
Wonderful City and hotel central for everything so can walk straight into all the exciting places to explore.
First let me get the downside out of the way.
As mentioned rooms very small, so dont try swinging a cat, but only slept there so did the job.
Room we had only had 1 windom at edge of room with table in front so hard to see out at all.
No tea coffeee making facilities, although not often found in european rooms.

Good Points
Hotel well situated.
Air Con in room worfed very well.
Comfy bed and quiet so had good n nights sleep.
Was expecting cont b/fast but also had bacon, scambled eggs, boiled eggs, toms, beans ant help yourself breakfast.
Plenty of fruit, rolls, bread etc to choose from
Staff friendly and helpful, always smiling.
Took about 30 seconds to check in and out, even though as mentioned we arrived with group on trip.
Room clean with soaps face towels and body lotion, besides towels each day.
Hairdryer also in room although no mention on hotel website so we took our own!

Overall would recommend this hotel and would book again when we go back next time, although would try to get a bigger room as would probably do trip ourselves now we know area.

This is not knocking Riviera travel in anyway though as from start to finish we were looked after by Viv our guide who was fantastic and knowledgeable about everywhere we went, Many thanks to her!!

Room Tip: We had room on 4th floor, which is basically the attic and as corner room lost more space due o cut...
1 Thank JohnBsTrips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hythe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed her for two nights, a Friday and a Saturday and the hotel was very busy with what seemed to be several groups. Check in was very quick and helpful, and I was given a map of the city and the receptionist marked on the map where the hotel is. Then off to my room I went, which was very recently totally refurbished and had quality fittings. The air con is the quietest that I have ever had in a hotel and can be totally controlled in room. The double glazing works well and even manages to shut out the noise of the church bells which start around 0900hrs. The beds and quilt are super comfortable and my room had a small mini bar fridge, however what I did find surprising is that there are no tea and coffee making facilities (tray) in the room I had. I was in room 731, I think they call this a 'Charming Plus Room' which is not one of their basics by any means - I would have liked a tea tray to be honest as I am used to it. The bathroom has been very well done, no bath - which I don't mind at all, has great shower and as said, all is very new. I liked the room, had a nice quality feel and I slept very well.

Breakfast is a buffet with a huge choice of everything really and all of excellent quality - the Patio breakfast room is big and I saw no queues at all for tables and the staff are very efficient.
I had scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon plus a bowl of fresh fruit - no complaints at all and no wait at all.

Check out on the Sunday morning saw some pretty big queues, but hey, with 177 rooms checking out then this was always going to happen. Front desk staff were quick and efficient and coped well - I didn't mind the queue as I wasn't pushed for time - if you are, then I would make sure of an early check out or see if they do an 'Express' service.

I liked this hotel and was very pleased I chose it - the location is fantastic in the old city centre and it is very well run with high standards of service and refurbishment. I will certainly go back.

Room Tip: Charming Plus rooms are very good indeed, didn't see the other catagories.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Excellent front desk management, English spoken, easy check-in. Room & bed comfortable, nice bathroom, hot bath, lovely towels and heating during the night. Liked being able to open the window for fresh air during the day. Fantastic breakfast included, though this is very pricey when not included with the room options.

We appreciated immediate response to our complaint about noisy guests in the next room around midnight. Within minutes security had arrived and sorted the problem. Parking is very expensive, but there are no other handy alternatives at competitive prices. We spent two nights & would like to have seen a reduction on parking for subsequent nights.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel. Pity it didn't have a restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the square.
1 Thank Lynne F
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

First off - I have never bee to Europe before, needless to say Brugge - so needless so say I have nothing to compare this to. I arrived super early (around 10:45 AM) and my room was ready, so points there. The staff's English was impeccable, and they were very friendly as well. Prior to coming I read some things about Brugeans being a bit rude, but I've encountered nothing but the sweetest people thus far. The only two complaints I have is the lack of character & the spotty wifi (NOT good for business travelers or those attached to their laptops). Other than that, pretty good value and unbelievably central, yet quiet location.

Room Tip: Ask for the wifi password. Unless you see the tiny sign, they won't tell you ;)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank alisonlaura
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Excellent location, just off the Markt (we could see the Bell Tower from our room). Comfy, big bed and good bathroom (very powerful shower). There was no extractor fan in the bathroom though, so after a shower it was VERY hot and steamy. Full range of British TV channels.
Breakfast was good value at EUR 12 (compared to nearby cafes) and there was a huge range of hot and cold food available.
Bar was ok, if a bit soulless.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

very good location, room is adequate (but avoid the corner room as the room shape could be a bit odd). convenient garage parking. and I love their bfast too. minor complaint is the early check-out time at 11am

Room Tip: avoid corner room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New Glasgow, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

It's a well run better than average hotel. Check in was quick and painless, the room was small but adequate (we were only staying one night). Location is outstanding. Right in the absolute centre of Bruges. The hotel is behind the Belfry and a walk through the courtyard of the Belfry takes one to the Markt Square. At breakfast there is a huge variety of choices that should suit almost anyone. The only fault I had with regard to breakfast was that the coffee was ordinary. Everything else was quite nice. On check out we asked about leaving our bags while we spent the day walking around Bruges. They have a luggage storage area that is secure and even has lockers. Got our bags at the end of the day, asked if they'd call a cab and of course they did. They obviously understand hotel hospitality.

1 Thank TheQuietTravellerToo