“Very Good Hotel, Perfect Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Martin's Brugge

Martin's Brugge
Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
south west England
“Very Good Hotel, Perfect Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Just returned from 3 night break. The hotel is very good. Nice room and bathroom. Flat screen TV with English Language channels. Buffet breakfast was amazing with everything you could possibly wish for.
Perfect location right next to the Belfry and about1 minutes walk to the main square and only 5 to 10 minutes walk to anywhere else of interest. For a 3 star hotel we couldnt have wished for more, it was excellent !

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the ground floor, lovely rooms, a little dark but 4 very nice Juliette windows tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Milton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night on 6th October. The hotel is centrally located down a side street just off the main square and only 100 metres from the river. The decor is modern and unfortunately the seating in the lobby is not very comfortable.
The bedrooms are functional with a good size bathroom and reasonable beds.
The breakfast is buffet style which has most things you could want. We also ate in the hotel restaurant which serves a high standard of food although the menu is a little limited. The decor is rather unique to say the least and the head waiter looks a bit like Dracula!
Staff at the hotel are very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a 3 night break. The hotel overall is very good. Nice room and bathroom. Flat screen TV with and all the main GB channels. Buffet breakfast was amazing with everything you could possibly wish for. The location of the hotel is excellent, by the Belfry and 1 minutes walk to the main square and only 5 to 10 minutes walk to anywhere else of interest. For a 3 star hotel we couldnt have wished for more.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel can be a little noisy due to dust lorrys and deliveries early in the morning...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rhoda C
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

just came vack from brugge, which is a beautiful city, and this hotel was perfect to me.

the room wasn't too big, but not too small.
new room. cleaned, very warm environment, located just a minute from the market - what a great location!!

the people at the front desk was really nice and helpfull.

i didn't take the breakfast - in 12 Euros you can buy great belgian breakfast at all the cafes around.

after all - a great experience.
it is one of the best 4 stars hotels i ever stayed in europe.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ubud, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and I experienced some real pros and cons.

I got an on-line deal for 100 Eruos a night - which to me is substantial and I have some expectations when I pay that amount. If I had paid the full prices I've seen on-line, I would not think it was worth the money.

Having said that, when I checked in I arrived at 11am and was greeted warmly by the person who helped me. He even let me know I could check in now and have a room without a double bed (which I requested) without a nice view. Or I could wait until 3pm and he would arrange a room more like what I requested. I opted to wait and I was happy he gave me the choice. He also handed me a discount card and a map and explained the way around to me.

Pros:
- Excellent location. Behind the belfry and right in the town center.
- Clean, modern rooms with very comfortable beds.
- They were very busy with big tours staying at the hotel and the staff did their best to be polite, patient and helpful. They were really booked solid.
- Eco-friendly practices at the hotel and a great deal of marketing material around that.

Cons:
- Breakfast: 12 Euros extra for breakfast (that was discounted it's normally 18 Euros) If I pay that much for a hotel and extra for breakfast I expect some attention to detail. There was canned fruit at breakfast and the spread really lacked freshness and quality. (I felt) Especially when a hotel does such a great job of marketing how Eco-friendly they are and then the breakfast buffet has some canned industrial, type fruits and yoghurt. Didn't seem quality to me, I've been to other hotels that do it really nicely with fresh, organic foods. For the cost of the room with the additional charge for breakfast, I expect better quality.

Customer Service:

-People working at the front desk were hurried and I felt, they did not pay enough attention to detail. I asked about a bike tour of Brugges and was told there weren't any, I could simply rent a bike from the hotel next door and ride around on my own. I found out the next day from the hotel next door, yes, there are bike tours. You need to sign up a day in advance. I thought so and I hesitated when the person behind the desk at Martins told me No - but she was seemed distracted and I didn't ask her to check. It was at night so they weren't that busy.

- I went to the dining room as breakfast was ending to ask for a glass of hot water and was told no. They had taken the coffee and tea away and the person in the dining room didn't offer to get a me a glass from the kitchen. She turned me away. Again, it's these little details.

- the weekend I was there was a big Food Festival Eat / Drink with the top restaurants in Brugges all participating. There was a big tent up in the town square and you bought food and drink tickets. It was fun. No one at the hotel told me about it. No one mentioned it was happening or to check it out. I found out another way.

It's a lovely hotel, it's just that for that price, I expect more. For a tour group where the hotel is included in your package it's probably a great place. It's a great location and it's quite a comfortable place.

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room by the elevator. It's really noisy. People talk and you can hear the cleani...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jennifer B
east yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Last minute booking of this hotel at a bargain price for 2 nights for a double room including breakfast - excellent value! The rooms are a good size with good bathroom and the breakfast is excellent. Good choice and quality in nice surroundings. The location is almost perfect for Brugge and we even managed to unload our car outside easily before moving to the car park. We were able to check in at 11.00 am and the receptionist was friendly and helpful. The slight down side is our room faced the street and there was early morning traffic noise - but don't let this put you off coming here - we would certainly come to this hotel again and we have stayed in Brugge over a dozen times! Our favourite place in Europe!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had a very pleasant 3 night stay. Well-sized, comfortable room. Decor a little on the dull side! Excellent breakfast selection and pleasant staff. Situated right behind the Belfry meant only short strolls to places of interest. Would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple