This is a fairly new hotel built over the remains of the Saint Donatus Cathedral, the foundations of which have been tastefully converted into conference facilities in the basement. The service was efficient and helpful if a little impersonal and you do wonder whether the prime focus is business/ conferences but don't let that put you off. The location is excellent. We were upgraded to a room overlooking the main square and it is within easy walking distance of all the main sights.
The rooms are spacious, comfortable and well appointed. The breakfast was simple but of a good standard and you should be able to find something for most tastes there. My only complaint was that the hot water seemed to be regulated at what can only be called luke warm, presumably to stop guests from scalding themselves. There is free wifi in the rooms and you can purchase faster access if you need it.
For 15 Euros you can purchase a three day ticket to all of the Bruges Museums, which is excellent value. If time is limited make sure you visit St. Johns Hospital for the Memlings and the Groeningin Museum which has an outstanding collection of early Flemish art. Look out for the Hieronymus Bosh 'Last Judgment' and 'Madonna and Child' by Rogier Van der Weyden.
A word of warning. You may think you are going to Bruges but you will soon find that you are in Brugge. The language is definitely Flemish/ Dutch. English and German will do fine but avoid French. Also we arrived by train from Brussels on Thursday afternoon and taxis were in short supply because the majority were ferrying people back to their cruise ships.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Crowne Plaza hotel Brugge is situated in the city centre of the charming and romantic city of Bruges, conveniently located on the magnificent Burg Square, adjacent to the historic Town Hall and the Chapel of Holy Blood. The Crowne Plaza hotel Brugge has 96 full renovated air-conditioned rooms with TV, pay TV, iron,coffee&tea facilities, mini bar and safe.The wellness and recreational centre offers a pool, a fitness room and a sauna.The Crowne Plaza hotel offers a new restaurant concept with PlazaCafé. A hip and trendy restaurant(with a superb terrace from March until November) and serves an excellent breakfast buffet, lunch and diner. Enjoy a nice coffee or Belgium beer. Every Sundaylunch a family buffet is served. The PlazaCafé Bar is an ideal meeting place, with its comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. Meetings-conferences-banquets For a modern decor in warm colours we can propose the Burgh Room (for up to 250 people). If you prefer historic surroundings we can organise an unforgettable banquet in our 14th century cellar or amidst the ancient foundations of the old St Donaas Church. Free wifi available through the whole hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Agoda, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Brugge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Brugge Hotel Bruges
- Crowne Plaza Bruges
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Brugge