“Relaxing, great location short walk to the Markt - fireplace and courtyard”
Review of Canal Deluxe B&B

Canal Deluxe B&B
Ranked #8 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 24, 2012

B&B Canal Deluxe was the highlight of my trip to Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Ghent). Tine and her staff made me feel at home and offered great advice on where to go and what to do while I was in Bruges. The location is perfect (about a 5-7 minute north of the main square). There are two rooms for rent.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the WiFi was solid and more than adequate to make Skype calls to my family / friends while I was traveling. The courtyard outside the two rooms is pleasant and has a pair of chairs you can sit out and relax on. Finally, the fireplace is what sold me. I was traveling solo and looking for some downtime to relax, drink some great beer, and do some reading. It satisfied all of these requirements and more. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There are only two rooms to choose from, can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Tine H, Owner at Canal Deluxe B&B, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Nice to read your review. Thanks a lot for your high quotation.
Good luck with your marriage and hope to meet again in the future...together with mrs.P

Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed in the Eugene room with an AMAZING huge comfy bed, really lovely bathroom with powerful shower and really nice products that smelt delicious!! Downstairs was beautifully decorated with a fireplace which was lit by Tine every morning when she came in to leave us breakfast; it was really really good quality and we gorged ourselves!! Tine made us feel very welcome, and the room was always cleaned when we went out for the day; we even had little chocolates waiting for us when we came back after walking around the city.
The B&B itself was in a perfect position for touring the city; Tine gave us a map and explained all the good restaurants/bars/museums/walks, and being motorcyclists she suggested a good route for our journey home via Calais.
There were no negatives, and we can heartily recommend the Canal Delux for anyone wanting a special stay at a very reasonable price in a perfect location.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Your positive review is most appreciated. Thank you for taking time to do this.
Nice to read you enjoyed the winding roads in the Côte Opal region on your way home.
Always welcome !

Reviewed February 21, 2012

One word - perfect
Canal deluxe is the perfect romantic place to stay when visiting bruges. Excellent location, ideal for wandering around and exploring the sights. The room we stayed in (Euphrasie) was on three levels with a wooden spiral staircase up to the bedroom and a brick stair case down to the impressive bathroom.
The room has a very rustic, cosy, romantic feel. The bathroom has a door that leads out to the canal and private terrace, in the summer it would be a lovely place to sit quietly with a glass of wine. The bath is massive and being free standing, has an impressive feel.

The owners of the B&B had excellent hosting skills - nothing was too much trouble, even pointing my boyfriend to the right supermarket to buy he's favourite Belgian ale, and furthermore, to ensure that a trip to the supermarket would not be wasted, Tine phoned the supermarket to ensure the ale was in stock! They go above and beyond what would be called upon as their duties as B&B owners, making you feel really comfortable in their home.

They lit the open fire for us one morning, which was lovely to wake up to, but makes the room very hot! The windows open out fully though, so it isn't an issue.

Would love to stay here again, the only negatives I can possibly think of is that there was no shower, only a hand held one in the bath with no shower curtain or means of keeping the water in the bath if you were to stand to have one. Also, being pregnant meant that night time toilet needs were a bit tricky as I had to negotiate going down two spiral staircases and then coming back up them again to get back into bed. A final minor note to make is that there is no mirror in the bedroom, the only mirror available is in the bathroom, so again, to get ready for an evening out means getting dressed and doing make up and hair in the bathroom.

It is worth pointing out that the other room available (Eugene) does have an ensuite with shower, so if this is the room you would prefer, make it clear when making the booking as Tine did explain that she sometimes swaps rooms around with bookings to ensure there are no gaps in stays.

Em.

I’d planned a surprise trip to Bruges for New Years Eve for myself and my girlfriend so wanted it to be perfect and that is exactly what we got.
Once you arrive in Bruges, you see modern buildings until you take a turn into the medieval part and then you step back in time. Canal Deluxe fits in very well with Bruges as a whole with a very traditional, classy feel but without being worn as some traditional type places can be.

Upon arrival, we dropped off our bags and Luc showed us were to park the car. We were then offered a drink as the room wasn’t quite ready and then headed out for half hour. Upon our return, Tine sat with us and marked out all the places we might like to visit during our stay with recommendations for places to eat and drink

Breakfast is normally served in the main house but as Tine & Luc had family arriving for dinner on New Years Day, Tine served breakfast in our room at a time that suited us. Breakfast in front of an open fire on New Years morning was amazing... I couldn’t have been happier! The following day, we ate breakfast in the house and again, everything was great. We even had fresh omelette and blueberry pancakes served alongside the most amazing continental breakfast I’ve ever tasted.

As Em said, not having a shower was a bit of a shame but I’m sure she enjoyed the bath to relax after walking all day. The bathroom was impressive regardless and probably meant that we had more space in the bedroom.

Speaking of the bedroom, I don’t think I’ve ever slept in such a huge bed! How they got it in the room I’ll never know but it was nice and comfortable especially after a long day walking on cobbled streets.

You can drive to Bruges in less than an hour from Calais and I really can’t think why you’d want to stay anywhere else whilst visiting. Location wise, Markt (the Market Square), is a mere 2-3 minute walk away but don't eat there unless you have deep pockets!
Hopefully we’ll return one day.

Chris

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
ladypergola, Owner at Canal Deluxe B&B, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2012

Suite Eugène would definitely have been more comfortable regarding your pregnancy Em, but I did not realize you were pregnant when I appointed suite Euphrasie to you. My apologies for that.
I hope all goes well with you and the baby....the big day must be very close now. And I hope that one day I'll be able to make acquaintance with Mr or Mrs Barrett junior.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Spent two nights as a short winter break at Canal Deluxe. Our host, Tine, marked out places of interest on a map, lit a roaring open fire in our room and we were set for a winter evenings wander around Bruges. There are bars all over serving some of the finest beers in the world. Good to get off main drag to find some local bars. Bars and restaurants run from bohemian (L'Estaminet, bohemian/ jazz/ brown bar/ fab pasta) to posh ( den Huzzar, posh/ proper food/ good wine list qv.) Back to the Canal Deluxe to a very comfortable bed. Breakfast served in our room...and another lovely open fire..the back window overlooks the canal. A charming comfortable retreat in one of Europes most welcoming cities. Delightful.
Paul & Kim Cambridge UK

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tine H, Owner at Canal Deluxe B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you Paul and Kim for this lovely review. Nice to hear you find Bruges a very welcoming city. ...most locals do their best to make the tourists feel appreciated.
Bruges is awaiting your next visit...and hopefully you'll stay at Canal Deluxe.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Forget about hotels, big or small, luxurious or fancy. This is a place you need to stay in due the Bruges visit. The Markt is round the corner (400 meters), and the nearest place to taste delicious beer is 'T Poatersgat (350 meters). It was raining and winding and a bit snowing but my late January weekend was just brilliant. Under the St. Jacobs Church' shadows you feel like a part of the host family, Tine and Luc. Even a pretty dog loves you. Thanks for the hospitality and Luc, I owe you one! Will be back soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Anton F

Thanks for your review Anton and enjoy the Westvleteren !

Reviewed January 3, 2012

We recently stayed a the Canal deluxe for our wedding anniversary where we had a wonderful stay; the place is located perfectly in historic Bruges. Our hostess paid so much attention to the most minute details. It was very delightful!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank creees
Tine H, Owner at Canal Deluxe B&B, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

We are glad you appreciated our B&B and had an eye for the small details. It is always great to get a compliment.
Hope to see you some time in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We had an absolutely amazing time in bruges mainly because of staying in such a great place! This is not any old B&B this is Canal Deluxe B&B! The rooms aren't really rooms they are more a little house and are delightfully decked out!

The place is hugely romantic and Tine and Luc were great hosts! I actually proposed to my now fiancee in our little house at Canal Deluxe and it was the perfect location with its open hearth and rustic setting. The whole family helped us out when we were trying to get around both Bruges and when we headed off to Antwerp ring shopping!

Check out Tine's restaurant in Bruges - Pergola! She was so modest she didn't even mention it was her place, we only found out through Luc! Amazing food - we do a lot of eating out and a bit of haute cuisine too and this was right down our street, hands down I've got to say it was the best meal I have ever had - very clever thoughtful food all four courses. Also unlike some restaurants with the same quality of food it wasn't stuffy or pretentious but warm and lovely and the staff were so down to earth and a good chat too! (much like Tine) If your on your holidays and you want to treat yourself go here (you won't leave disappointed).

Overall lovely place, lovely people, they couldn't do enough! Thanks Guys loved it and we're coming back soon!!! 10/10 -Loved this place- couldn't have done any better!

btw a side note for all you lads who are thinking about popping the question head to Antwerp to buy your diamonds! - serious value for your cash - go to the cutters not the retail outlets you can make serious purchases for less! Get organised you will need to contact these guys for an appointment before you go and week days are best but they do weekends too!

Room Tip: There are only 2! We were in Euphrasie we chose it because it has a lovely little bathroom with a bi...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tine H, Owner at Canal Deluxe B&B, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Nice to hear that our suites inspire people to pop the 'big question'. And what a ring ! ! It looked marvelous on the finger of your girlfriend. You were both lovely guests and the pleasure was all ours to look after you. Thank you for recommending the Pergola restaurant. Glad you enjoyed it !
And next time...don't forget these running shoes !