“the best in Bruges!!!”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fresh products, beautiful interior
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had a wonderful lunch with my friends, they are locals, and they brought me to this magnificent restaurant, with open kitchen, so we sat close to the cook, (he was expecting to receive a call from his wife because she in the hospital to give birth) even that he cooked for us, salmon , salads, fantastic desert , and I spent time just and enjoy how he cooked everthing in front of me in his modern , all metal steel inox kitchen, clean, was like a laboratory, everything in the right place, the local was perfect, the decoration superb, the floor upstairs ready to welcome meetings or large party, a private area also....in this old antique building, I love the experience, I will be back, and the owner is right there , cooking and smiling!!! for his guests!!! I will come back!! 100%

3  Thank Alex d
There are newer reviews for Lieven

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice and cosy restaurant. I liked the interior. Service was good and the chef knows very well what he is doing. I like the menu, not a lot of dishes but a nice selection and fresh products. very important, this is not a 'tourist trap' restaurant... there are enough in Bruges...

3  Thank Vierkeer
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Lieven was recommend by B&B owner and we were in for a treat. Two tables of 2 and 2 tables for 5 in front with high top table and chairs in back. Started with amuse bouche of olives and baby shrimp that were work to peel and so worth it. Nice wine selection. We split first course of endive, cooked eggs and baby shrimp salad. Beautifully presented and great combination of tastes.
We had fettucine vongole and skate with asparagus (in season) and risotto with fresh peas. All perfectly prepared and delicious. We shared vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce that made us want to lick pitcher sauce came in.
Menu in Flemish was translated by waiter. Loved decor. Small marble tiles on wall beautiful with old exposed beams. Chairs very cool and comfortable.
Make reservations -many were turned away.

2  Thank upred
Reviewed April 23, 2012

A cook and a waiter, 2 persons, run this little restaurant. There is not so much choice, but everything you get is really prepared with a lot of attention and eye for detail... Fresh products, and a very friendly service. Good wines, at good prices. If you want to see the open kitchen reserve a table in the back (next the kitchen), if you want a romantic or relaxing evening ask for a table in the front part. I'm very sure you'll be excited about your evening, but you certainly have to make a reservation !!

2  Thank Gee_Cat
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Quiet Tuesday evening in Bruges - my husband and I are looking for a restaurant as it's getting late (for Belgian standards) and we want to have a quick dinner before restaurants stop accepting customers. We see this classy restaurant, nicely illuminated, very cozy-looking, and we decide to give it a try. We are "welcomed" (the expression is sarcastic) by a grumpy girl; she seems annoyed by the fact we didn't have a reservation, yet there are empty tables available. We are sat just by the open kitchen, so we can see how the chef is preparing all the dishes ON HIS OWN (no chef helpers!) and is having lots of trouble keeping up with the speed of the orders. A guy who looks like the restaurant's manager gives us the menus (without the hint of a smile), which are written in dutch. We ask whether they have a menu in English, but they don't; so the girl VERY reluctanctly gives us a poor translation of the few dishes, maintaining a dry and distant attitude at all times. No need to say - prices are outrageous. However, since the place looks so posh and elegant, we assume that the dishes are going to be top quality and the dinner very pleasant. We are not very hungry though, so we order just one main course each; the manager cannot refrain from making an openly disgusted face when he hears that we don't want any starter. We then wait 50 minutes straight for one carpaccio (no cooking involved!!) and a plate of "spaghetti vongole", while we observe the chef sweating to keep up with all the customers' requests. Neither the manager nor the girl assisting him are saying one word to us; they go back and forth by our table avoiding eye contact at all costs. At some point we ask how long is it going to be before we can eat, and the manager looks outraged by our request (by that point, we were already planning to pay for our drinks and leave). Finally, we get our plates; a very mediocre carpaccio with 5 or 6 fine slices of raw meat, and the worse "spaghetti vongole" that anyone could imagine: soggy, drawned in cream (cream???) and simply unedible. Outcome for 2 lousy dishes and a bottle of sparkly water: 65 euros. I think restaurants like these deserve to go out of business as soon as possible, because they show no respect for either good cuisine or clients' satisfaction. It may happen to eat badly sometimes, but to be overcharged, treated badly and eat badly, that's something I am not prepared to accept.

5  Thank flawlessmary