“In Bruges”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brisbane, Queensland
“In Bruges”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We booked this hotel as part of a package through Eurostar. We were touring parts of the United Kingdom (from Australia), and knowing the movie “In Bruges” and the incredible proximity of Europe to England (in Australia, you can drive for 3 hours and you’re still in the same State; drive from England for 3 hours and you can be 3 countries away!), we decided to have a long week-end away in Belgium. We thought that the train would be the way to go, and effectively we left London at about 5.00pm, and by 10.00pm we were having dinner in Bruges. All was booked and paid for in advance over the internet (the train from St Pancras to Brussels; change trains in Brussels to Bruges [easy enough]; 2 nights at the NH Brugge in Bruges; the return train trip and a night stopover in Brussels), with the train travel and accommodation being booked as part of a package with Eurostar. There was a choice of hotels with the Eurostar package, at various prices, and we chose the NH Brugge after internet research for location and proximity, and, of course, taking into account TripAdvisor reviews.
The location of this hotel worked for us. We walked from the railway station with bags and found the hotel readily enough. There’s an unmistakable fountain in the square (see the photo). Restaurants were open on the other side of the square, even late at night to feed us when we arrived.
It also wasn’t a long walk from the hotel into the old part of the town where the pretty tourist activity kicks off. We had a great week-end in Bruges; well-worth it. The waffles, the chocolate, the beer (there’s a place with 780 different types of Belgium beer!)...!
The hotel and our hotel rooms were pretty stock-standard and pleasant enough. The outside looks quite fetching; the inside is quite new and modern. There’s free Wi-Fi in reception (ask for a code); you pay for it in your room. The rooms and bathrooms had all the usual accoutrements that you’d expect from a hotel of this standard, and the bed was huge and comfortable. I can’t comment on the food, as we didn’t eat there – we found breakfast in the form of coffee and wonderful long French sticks with your choice of fillings (like an up-market Subway) readily enough.
Reception was very helpful – a breezy check-in and maps and discount tickets (including a discount for a boat ride up the canals) on arrival; a breezy check-out and left luggage services from check-out time in the morning to train departure time in the evening.
If returning to Bruges, I’d happily stay here again. There may be better, cheaper, closer hotels, but this one does the job and I see no point in searching for an alternative. I know what I’m getting from NH Brugge, and what I’m getting is fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank seagullrob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Midlands, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stopped here for one night after a weekend away in Germany, The location of the hotel is very good for anyone with a car as there is a safe 24 hour car park across the road.

The hotel is tired and needs a good update, My wife booked us an exec double and it was located in the strangest of places just off the dining room, The room was big but very tired with marks and stains on the fittings, The bed was a fold up and store type with a huge gap at the end of it and the windows were broken, see pictures.

I was very disgusted with the cleanliness i found in the room, We had what was described on the website as a nespresso coffee machine (which in fact was a copy) in our room. I love my coffee and was excited to use this at first but was put off when i looked in the water container to find a think layer of dirt, this had not been cleaned for a good while !

We enjoyed Bruges a great deal, if a little too busy for my liking and would give this hotel a very average rating, my wife was bitten on her feet by some kind of bug while staying there we think.

Room Tip: pay lots of money for the best rooms, this is a honey pot location
4 Thank konakid77
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed here for five days and the Hotel was clean, tidy and friendly. It is 10 minutes walk from the train station and less walk to all the central attractions. On the Saturday morning the whole area round the hotel was filled with a lovely market, selling everything from farmyard animals(small!), to jewellery, clothing, tasty food etc. On the Sunday it was an antiques market which we loved strolling around. If you do not like hustle and bustle early in the morning on these days, I would advise you avoid the weekend. We however, loved it! The breakfast was 21 Euro, which we did not have. But according to our Belgian relatives, whom we were visiting, the food at the hotel has a very good reputation. There is also a lively cocktail bar. The drinks are pricey but nice to have one as a treat before retiring to bed. All the staff were very helpful and next time we visit we will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ChrisTim01
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

This hotel is in a great place if you are driving in. It is opposite a carpark that charges 8 Euros per day. It takes about 10 minutes to walk to the main square. The staff were friendly and the room was very large. The hotel building is attractive. Very disappointed by the swimming pool. It was filthy. The sauna was out of order (and looked like it had been for a while). The running machines were also broken. I

1 Thank hollybobs22
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Hotel was in a great location just accross the square to the the main shopping street leading the the Markt Square. Room had all that you would expect for a 4 star hotel and very nice coffee machine. My daughter enjoyed the swimming pool and the outdoor patio and grassed area was nice with the good weather. I believe, the pool will, however, be closed soon. We could park outside to unload and the underground car park was very close and only €8.70 for 24hrs. Breakfast was extra €15 but plentiful and was worth it to get the day started. While I had no issues with the hotel the price was on the high side for a short one night stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Brightonian
Istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

I can recommend this hotel with all my heart. First of all, it's location is great. Especially, if you are travelling by car. There is a very close parking place (very secure), right across the hotel and it is only 9 euros per day. The hotel is very clean, and the staff is very helpful. When we arrived, we were met with a nice suprise. We learned that our room was upgraded which was perfect, because the room was enormously big and there were 2 king sized beds. The bathroom was great, and there were lots of space for our suitcases. I will add the pictures soon. I was very pleased with my stay and if anyone is thinking about booking a hotel in Brugge, I can say that this is the right hotel -at least, it is for me. If I go back to Brugges again, I will definitely book this hotel. Please, feel free to ask me your questions about this hotel.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

The location of this hotel is perfect being within walking distance of the train station and anything you would want to see in Bruges. The hotel is very clean and welcoming with the swimming pool and gym as a great option after all the chocolate and waffles. The rooms were clean with coffee and tea available which was appreciated and the breakfast was delicious with a large variety of choice. In addition the staff were very helpful and welcoming and couldn't do enough to help. Would definately recommend to a friend.