“Beware of their juniour 'suites'”

Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotel
Ranked #9 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beware of their juniour 'suites'”
Reviewed June 25, 2006

The room I had was so small that I was surprised it was adverised as a junior suite. There is no sitting area and the hotel could hardly fit in two small chairs. There is a small writing desk but if you'll up against the bed if you use it! I am very disappointed by the marketing tactics of the staff. I specifically asked about rooms sizes and was told that their 'superior rooms' were 30 square meters and the junior suites were 'much bigger and much more comfortable'. This was misleading - there is a superior room on our floor which is at least 50% bigger than our junior suite and at a fraction of its cost.
The hotel justifies charging over 300 euro for a junior suite becuase it is decorated in Ralph Lauren fabrics with a seprate shower in the bathroom. It is not worth the premium in my opinion.
The carpet had quite a few stains and they cover it up with a smaller carpet on top. There was a row of lockers outside the dingy landing outside our 'suite'. In my opinion, a hotel with hangers attached to the rail should not qualify as a member of the 'Small Luxury Hotels'!
The service is poor (except the breakfast staff). There are at least 2 reception desk staff who are extremely unhelpful when we asked them for directions to restaurants. They forgot to bring our car out from the garage and no apology was offered although we had a long wait. On our day of departure, one of them asked us when we were leaving at 11:30 - well before their check out time and in a manner which is best described as surly. I would avoid this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2006
53 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Reviewed June 8, 2006

We stayed in the Romantik Pandhotel in June and enjoyed it so much that I’m actually bothering to write my first ever review! The location couldn’t be better… a quiet street just 20 yards from the most picturesque canal view in Bruges. My husband and I were travelling with our 5yr old son who appeared to be the only child in this delightful boutique hotel but he was made to feel extremely welcome by the entire staff who often surprised him with treats. As there were three of us we paid a bit extra for a Junior Suite which was lovely. All creams and browns with a four poster bed - and a small balcony which caught the sun. Inside was a CD, DVD & a TV which had BBC1 & ITV tuned in. Huge bath and shower and a separate loo. Very comfortable and tasteful & they turned the sofa into a bed for our son. The breakfasts were incredible; a great basket of breads and pastries and the best eggs and bacon I’ve had, cooked on the AGA stove right there in the pristine white breakfast room. Fast service, great coffee and champagne is included in the cost. Likewise, afternoon tea was a treat, with homemade cakes and chocolate mousse. Our son found Bruges fascinating & I recommend you hire some cycles and also explore the nearby town of Damme. Boutique hotels like this are not always sympathetic to the needs of young children, but the staff were unfailingly helpful and from the minute we checked in, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel feels luxurious for adults and has nice touches - fresh flowers throughout, free walking tour, discounts on bike hire etc. We returned to London refreshed and would definitely recommend this hotel.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2006

Perfect attention to detail from sorting out our car (left it at the front door on Friday afternoon and had it returned to the front door on Sunday afternoon) to booking us into an excellent local restaurant for our evening meal. The room was excellent as is the situation of the hotel. The staff are very efficient and friendly - nothing is to much trouble. The breakfast was excellent as was the hot chocolate that we had delivered to our room one night. I ordered champagne, chocolates and a fruit bowl for our arrival. It was excellent and the champagne was on fresh ice - how did they know what time we were to arrive?
The attention to detail was complete with a mini-bar that was always re-stocked and a weather report and chocolate on your turned down bed every evening.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Somerset
Reviewed May 14, 2006

The diffitculty in writing this review is two fold. Firstly on arrival at Bruges railway station my wallet was stolen by a pickpocket so my mood was somewhat subdued on arrival and secondly it's difficult to decide what constitutes a luxury hotel.

People will have different perceptions of luxury. I compare any 'luxury' hotel with the best I have stayed in. Four Seasons comes to mind.

When comparing this hotel with my own 'luxury' mindset I'm afraid it isn't. There are many excellent things about the hotel, the location is second to none, very central and a stones throw from the prettiest photo opportunity in Bruges. The staff are very friendly and try their hardest to make your stay comfortable. Breakfast is wonderful and impossible to find fault with and the decor and ambiance of the lounge is peaceful, relaxing and stylish.

For me though, luxury means down to the finest details and I'm afraid Pandhotel fell short in many areas that shouldn't have happened. Our room was a large superior but was still very small. The bathroom was so small that anyone with a moderate sized behind would have difficulty sitting on the toilet as it was so cramped. The decor was 'shabby chic' in my view and pleasant but our telephone didn't work and the TV channels were not correctly tuned in. The room also smelled of damp which we were told reduced if we kept the toilet light on which triggered the extraction fan. Not an ideal solution.

On one night a member of our party was served a bottled beer which was nine months out of date. This shouldn't have happened.

There were also times when staff levels seemed extremely low with the receptionist taking phone calls, escorting guests to bedrooms and making coffee for others guests leaving the entrance to the hotel open to all and sundry.

So for me this hotel is not luxury. It is a nice hotel but no more than that. It's location may well be a deciding factor in it's room rate but be aware that the rate is not a reflection of the standards you will find throughout the hotel.

• Stayed May 2006