“Champagne breakfast treat!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Yorkshire, England
“Champagne breakfast treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed with my best friend for one night over the Bank Holiday weekend. We wanted somewhere that served a champagne breakfast!

I had stayed here 14 years ago with my partner and found it very romantic. However this time I needed twin beds. I enquired with the hotel and they explained only certain rooms can be made up in this way. I opted for a charming room and we were given the Burberry (decorated with Burberry design fabrics).

The location is second to none - steps from the underground car park and steps from the canal, but on a quiet street.

When we arrived we were not able to check in straight away - we were early - but the staff took our bags and we had a little walk around for half an hour. When we came back the bags were in our room and we were given information on what to see and invited on a free walking tour organised by the hotel.

Our room was small, but very comfortable. The bathroom had a small bath with whirlpool jets and a shower over. the bathroom was no more than 2 metres square - if that! The windows looked to the back of the hotel and the air conditioning was great.

Breakfast was wonderful - champagne, pastries, chees, ham, bread, chocolate, cereal, fruit, eggs done as you like on the AGA in the dining room. The staff were all fantastic and made us feel special.

There is a lovely lounge and bar which are very well decorated and appointed. The building is old and quirky, hence small room sizes, so if you are particular about needing space you should ask or upgrade to get what you need so you won't be disappointed. It is not cheap by any means, but for a special treat it is excellent value.

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay and I will return with my partner next time for some romance!

I

Room Tip: The Burberry on 1st floor looks towards the back and the rooftops. Very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had a lovely 2 night stay at this excellent hotel. Our suite was nicely decorated, very comfortable and had a very relaxing spa bath in the bathroom.The staff were welcoming, helpful and efficient. The breakfast (extra charge) was delicious, Overall, we were very impressed.

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

The rating for the Pand Hotel depends on what a traveler is looking for and what the traveler expects for the price paid. When I asked my wife how she would rate The Pand Hotel, her immediate reaction was "very good." She cited the price for the room (we took a Junior Suite because of TA complaints about room size) and the general breakfast experience (based on cost). My wife enjoyed the breakfast but compared to other less costly more extravagant breakfasts that we had on the same trip, she was not overly impressed.

As well, on one cold, rainy day when we wanted to use the public room that had a fireplace, there was some kind of photo shoot going on. So we were unable to enjoy the ambiance of the living room fireplace at the Pand Hotel on a rainy day. The service mistake was that there was no staff around to let us know how long the unavailability would last. When we walked into the liviing room space, we should have been approached by an employee to explain the situation. The room is open to a view from the front desk. Attentive staff should have noticed us. This is a negative service/management point - but on a detail. I would not downgrade a hotel for a moment of inattentiveness.

I would add the comment for management that looking at the vacuum cleaner which regularly propped open the linen closet in the hall outside of our front door was a bit below par for a luxury hotel.

But even though I agreed with my wife on the points she mentioned, I still wanted to give the Pand Hotel an EXCELLENT, based on the overall travel experience. Hence, I lobbied for the higher rating.

The Pand Hotel is a SMALL luxury hotel that is well maintained and is IDEALLY located. It is on a tree-lined, seemingly non-commercial street that abuts one of the Bruges canals at a beautiful (photo-op) point. And the hotel is about a five minute walk to Pomperlut restaurant (see our review) and perhaps ten minutes from the market place.

1 Thank TonyTraveler2010
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and overall we had a pleasant stay. It has a great location as its easy to reach the canals and main square. The breakfast was very nice (champagne and chocolates!) although disappointing you have to pay extra for this given the price paid. For even their basic room (charming room) it is quite pricey and it was tiny although clean and comfortable (apart from having to squeeze by one another to get around the room). Also, the guests above our room when even walking around made the ceiling chandeliers shake which is frustrating when trying to sleep. The staff were very friendly, accommodating and helpful providing some suggested walking routes, maps and advice on restaurants to choose.
Overall I found Bruges is very overpriced (hotels, dining, tours) so I am unsure if I would have received better value for money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not choose a charming room - too small.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pandhotel, General Manager at Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post this review! Your feedback is very important for us.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed the central location of our boutique hotel and the excellent service our staff provides.
Breakfast is indeed not included in the room rate but I have to say that what we offer, is very good value for money compared with a lot of similar category hotels in Bruges, and even slightly lower in rate. But this said, I'm happy you also mentioned that you liked our full waiter service Champagne breakfast a lot.

The Pand is a town house from the 18th century and was renovated with a lot of respect for the old structure of the building. We used very good isolation materials but sorry if you heard the guests above you walking around but even in a brand new building this could occur.
We are sorry you felt the room was too cramped for you but as you wrote very comfortable and clean. We put the sizes of the rooms on our website as we want to inform our guests very correctly, to avoid disappointment. We provide three different room categories with their equivalent sizes and prices.

We hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you again at The Pand in the future.

Kind regards,

Katelijne Haelters
Cornwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

As regular visitors to Bruges, we have never stayed at the Pand Hotel before but having spent 2 nights there we would definitely go back. The location is just amazing about 50ft from the most photographed view of the city so could not be more central or ideal as a base for exploring Bruges. Very attentive service by the staff and our room was really nicely appointed and while it overlooked the street, there was excellent sound proofing. There is a very pretty lounge area and the breakfast while not cheap at 18 Euros a head was absolutely lovely with a great choice of breads, fresh fruit, excellent freshly squeezed juice, Champagne if you wish as well as eggs etc that are cooked in front of you on an Aga. Cannot fault the place!

1 Thank NeilBLondon
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Beautiful and charming hotel, luxurious bedrooms, individually decorated. The breakfast is worth paying extra for - a glass of champagne to start the day. Friendly staff, very professional and accommodating.

Room Tip: From the two rooms we used - country and navy - all very tastefully decorated, very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Morganville, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have always wanted to visit Brugge and I knew when I did I wanted to stay in a romantic hotel close to the historical sights and canals. After a lot of research I found The Pand Hotel and booked it immediately. As a travel agent, I am always looking for hotels not only for myself but for my clients and this hotel is my #1 choice. My husband and I stayed in Room 108 a Ralph Lauren Junior suite which was above my expectations. The room was filled with beautiful antigues, a canopy bed, fireplace, a Jacuzzi tub and Hermes bath products. This in itself was over the top but add to that excellent customer service. From the minute we checked in till our check out the staff went above and beyond to assist you. The hotel manager even assisted me with booking train tickets and printing them out for me. Restaurant suggestions were excellent and they arranged our early departure with taxis, luggage pick up and wake up call. Breakfast at the hotel was a nice treat. It is delicious and served in the most elegant manner by an excellent wait staff. It is something I might not do every morning but it is a must for at least one of the days you are there. As for the rest of the hotel it is beautiful and so cozy. It feels like a home away from home. This hotel is definitely worth its rating of Small Luxury Hotel of the World.