“Apt name for a devil of a proprietor”
Review of 't Vagevuur

't Vagevuur
Ranked #169 of 716 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Beijing
“Apt name for a devil of a proprietor”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The only person (serving as waiter, cook and cashier) in this restaurant was making our waffles in the open kitchen which is connected by a passage to the seating area when I wanted to ask if we could rather sit upstairs than opposite the bar section where my husband was already seated. Maybe he was a little harassed trying to do everything at the same time as there were about ten customers already seated at the more cosy places. He took offence that I entered the passage leading to the kitchen and shoved me (literally) scowling towards our table. In a slur on my country, he said that this is not done in Belgium though it might be acceptable where I come from. He gestured towards a very small sign on the wall which read that customers are not allowed past that point. I am still annoyed at myself for not leaving the place immediately even though the mediocre food was already made, for this was the least that he deserved. He doesn't know the first thing about good manners, so how can one expect good customer service?

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“very nice”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The waitors were very friendly and quick. The food was good, simple but that was what we wanted. Not expensive and a good atmosphere in the restaurant.

ballarat
“No good”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Prices looked okay so we thought why not. My Husband ordered the steak which still wasn't cheap 23 euro apartently was rib eye steak but he said was the worse steak he has even eaten, was very thin and fatty. Waiter not friendly don't go there find somewhere else only time we had a bad meal in Brugge.

1 Thank sarah-hubble
Surrey, England
“not the place to go”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The plus points - pleasant informal atmosphere and friendly staff.
The minus points - food of poor quality and the most salty stir fry I have ever had. Spent the night drinking pints of water, and there was no flavour, but the salt!
There are better places in Bruges.

Visited December 2012
London
“Great staff , great food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Thought this place would be average as was just off the main square . Both dishes ( one vegetarian ) were great and the staff were really friendly and professional . A great place to eat !

Visited December 2012