“Genuine Italian, unlike some in Bruges”
Review of La Cantina

La Cantina
Ranked #585 of 761 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We visited this restaurant after walking around a while. The waiter, Gennaro, was an absolute delight. There were only a couple of fish options on the menu, so I asked if this was the only fish available. He offered me the alternative of salmon and a choice of being cooked one of 2 ways. It was gorgeous. My friend had the grilled chicken with salad and commented it was the best chicken she had tasted. The house wine was great and the bill very reasonable for quality food in Bruges.
These are real italians. Despited being very busy, Gennaro made time to chat to us, as he appeared to do to most diners on both evenings we visited. He comes from the Amalfi coast and the chef from Naples. We had already observed that many restaurants in Bruges are actually Belgians masquerading under Italian restaurant names and offer low quality at high prices. Others in our travel group had visited the one opposite La Cantina and were sadly dissappointed. I do wonder if some of the less positive reviews are actually for that one as they seemed to do more set menus, whereas La Cantina only had one on our visit.
Our experience was so good that we returned a second night (out the 3 in our trip). It was full but Gennaro invited us to return in 25-30 mins if we wished and he would save us the table for 2 which he anticipated would have been vacated by that time. Despite the restaurant being small and having to turn diners away, it seemed from our observations that nobody was rushed and could comfortably stay for as long as they wished. We were equally happy with this 2nd visit and would not hesitate to recommend it, for the location, the food, the price and the ambience.

2  Thank Ginetta632

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Found this little place of the Markt, only seats about 20 people. The waiter was very friendly and the food was very well priced considering how expensive other places are to eat in Bruges. Food was fresh, hot and tasty. Wine and 2 courses came to 47 euros. Would recommend if visiting Bruges, also a nice Thai in this road.

2  Thank RugbyLass15
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stopped here for a quick dinner. Being on a backpackers budget there were a few items on the menu in our price range and decided to give it a go. Menu was varied and everything sounded good but because of our budget we settled on two of the basic pizzas. The waiter would not give us tap water and offered bottled instead, we opted for beer as it was almost the same price as water and well, you can't go wrong with Belgian beer. When we asked him about one of the listed beers he dismissed the question and insistently recommended the beers that were slightly more expensive. We would have liked to have beer and water as we were quite thirsty from a day of cycling.

The pizzas arrived and were hot and tasty but nothing special. The waiter spent quite some time chatting with other tables, we saw him check back to make sure their food was ok but he didn't bother to check up on us, offer more drinks when ours were gone or offer desserts. We just felt that he was milking the other tables for tips and ignoring us because he made an assumption. Being in the hospitality industry myself, I always tip well for good service no matter what my budget is. We felt we were kind of brushed aside. But like I said the food was good and there is plenty of variety for every budget.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stumbled across this place after a long day of walking around. I didn't like how the menu was set out. I NEVER eat off the set menu (which are very "touristy" in destinations like Bruge and other major cities). I ordered the pizza which was a lovely thin base (checked before I ordered) that was great. Not burnt or anything like that, I also ordered the Misto salad which was somewhat average but "eatable". service was great. Wasn't the best meal I've ever had but I didn't leave disappointed either.

1  Thank PStas
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have just been back for a second night at this restaurant which speaks volumes in itself. The couple running the restaurant are very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent and well priced and the restaurant had a nice relaxed atmosphere. We ate in other restaurants earlier during our trip but none compared price wise or in quality/atmosphere. I would advise booking in advance though as people were turned away several times as the restaurant was full. I really can't praise it enough and would eat there again if we weren't returning to London tomorrow. A hard working and lovely couple running a lovely Italian restaurant.

2  Thank RonniF_13