“Very friendly and accommodating staff, and lovely waffles!”
Review of Bittersweet - CLOSED

Bittersweet
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Visited in August 2012 with my fiancee and had a very lovely lunch time snack. We tried to go for breakfast but they were very full, and when we returned 3 hours later the owner remembered us before we could say anything and showed us to a seat.

The food and hot drinks were lovely and the owners were happy to advise us on what to have any then give us directions to where we wanted to go. I can't see why people have said they were unfriendly; perhaps there was another cafe by the same name?

We were very happy with it all, and as you can see from the photos the food is lovely! Definitely worth a visit but bear in mind it will be busy.

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Four of us had lunch here on the 1st December the owner served us and was extremely friendly, there were plenty of locals also either dining or drinking coffee and the overall feel of the establishment was friendly and comfortable. The food was good and the hot chocolate (choice of dark, milk or white) was amazing.
Would recommend a trip here but just bear in mind that you need to buy lunch if visiting before 14.00 and cannot simply just have a drink.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited Bittersweet on the recommendations from Trip Advisor. We arrived at 11o'clock to buy the famous hot chocolate. When we went to go into the completely empty cafe the staff inside literally looked down their noses at myself, my husband and our 9 month old son. I asked if I could take a menu and sit outside to which we had a grunt and nod in our direction. So we took our seats outside (also empty) to look through the menu. When the waitress/owner eventually came outside (ten minutes later) we ordered our much awaited hot chocolate. To which she bluntly said we are only serving lunch. Only serving lunch - to who exactly?? I was completely gobsmacked, and could just not fathom her reasoning for denying us a 10 minute drink? just such bizarre and point blank rude behaviour. .... hopefully otehrs were not greeted with the same disgusting service as we were. Good luck if you are thinking of going there!

4  Thank fash76
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very personable and efficient service. Loved all the little extra nibbles and marshmallows. Even a toasted sandwich is beautifully presented. Favourite was the beautiful chocolate tulip that when dunked in hot milk becomes the most indulgent hot chocolate drink with mini marshmallows on top. An experience my daughter will always remember.

1  Thank wendypenrose2002
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I went to bittersweet with two friends of mine. After sitting there waiting for 15 minutes, the owner (who wasn't doing a thing) came to clean our table from the previous guests. But then we still hadn't got the menu to have a look at. After again ten minutes of sitting there I grabbed the menu myself. We decided to have some hot chocolate, coffee and cappucino and some pancakes. They were nice, nothing more to say about that. But then, 3 Chinese girls entered, after being rejected a first time. The owner started talking to them in Dutch, just to scare them off I think, because she knew they didn't speak Flemish. I was really disappointed in the attitude of the owners.
They will never see me again, and would certainly not recommend this to any one!

3  Thank BrugesVisitor2