“Value for Money in a Sea of Touristic Dross”
Review of 't Eetablissement

't Eetablissement
Ranked #482 of 710 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Value for Money in a Sea of Touristic Dross”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We have found that many of the reviews on this site are from people visiting restaurants like this, and judging them as if they were Michelin-starred establishments. This restaurant does not pretend to be anything other than a simple, value-for-money, family-friendly local bistro. This is refreshing in a town where there is an enormous amount of tourist-style restaurants serving worse food than at t' Eestablissement and - particularly for those restaurants on the square a few yards away from this restaurant - at grossly inflated prices.

The menu is restricted, and the decor simple, but the food was good; well-prepared and well-presented. My wife had a goats cheese salad and I the Belgian-style rabbit stew, with a side of fritjes (we were in Belgium after all!). We both enjoyed the food and the friendly service. There was a good range of local beers but the wine list - as you might expect - was limited.

All-in-all, a simple, value-for-money experience. We both left happy and with a few extra Euros to spend on chocolate the next day!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank TheHolymans

Hampshire
“Hidden treasure, good food, excellent service.”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I went to beautiful (if freezing) Bruges with my husband and two friends during UK half term week which also encompassed Valentine's Day. Restaurants were expensive and we were warned by the hotel to choose something off the main square for a better price. We found 't Eetablissement lunchtime the second day and I'm almost ashamed to admit we ate there for the following two lunchtimes and 3 dinners! The food was surprisingly good. The soups(divine French Onion) pastas (especially lasagna) and especially the steaks were all so good we kept going back and that's something we never do. The staff were fab. The second lunchtime they said they had run out of beer but lovely waiter ran out to buy some bottles for us. When we said we would come back that evening for Valentines Eve if they could promise us chocolate mousse (not on the menu) they said they would do it...and it was delicious - everything a chocolate mousse should be. We chatted to the chef when he came out for his meals after service was finished, very friendly and obviously is passionate about cooking.

This restaurant is a bit more reasonable than many that are around, there are no airs or graces, it's not trying to be something it isn't and we saw some of the same faces again and again - obviously a good find. It has a flame outside on the pavement and a lovely fire inside that we were very grateful of. The laughed when they saw us turn up each day and turned the fire up...showing us to 'our table'. Really friendly, helpful team with excellent food. Only disappointment was the pancakes, but there is plenty of other desserts to choose. The other restaurants we used were not a patch on 't Eetabilssement and similarly priced.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank CurlyCar0l
London
“Friendly service and decent, well-priced food”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

For a restaurant so close to the centre the prices here are very reasonable, and the set menu - while not very imaginative - is very good value. The restaurant lacks atmosphere, but the food is all good, and the services is very friendly. I had the rabbit stew, which was delicious and rich, and mentioned to the server that it was terrific but I wished I had kept some of my (very nice) bread that had come with the soup starter to mop up the gravy - chips just don't do the job for me - and he said I should have asked, he would gladly have brought me some. For the record - this is the only place in Belgium where, when I automatically asked for tap water, the waiter didn't faint with shock but just brought us a carafe. (I do know that it simply isn't normally served, you have to buy bottled everywhere, which I don't mind, but I was in greedy ordering mode and forgot myself). It cheered me up - and tasted better than the house wine which, warning, isn't great. Should have stuck with beer!

Visited September 2011
Bath
“Tourist restaurant”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Nice location with outdoor tables, but not good value for money. Food very expensive and badly cooked. Can recommend for sitting outside having a beer and watching the world go by, but not for a meal. Service rushed and poor.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank sb693000
North Carolina
“good but not great”
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We ate dinner here on a Tuesday night in Bruges, without a reservation. If you plan to visit Bruges, you should know that it is very difficult to find an open restaurant on a Tuesday night! Several of our first choices were closed. We also didn't have a reservation, which we later learned is almost essential. In a different restaurant the following night, we heard a proprietor turn away a walk-in couple, even though the restaurant had space in it. Strange.

That being said, the atmosphere was attractive and the service was attentive. I chose a "Flemish beef stew" and my husband chose a Flemish rabbit stew. My dish was better, but neither was very interesting. It's hard to know, however, if this was the fault of the restaurant or the nature of the dish. I had never eaten traditional Flemish beef stew before and had nothing with which to compare it. The meat was fine -- tender -- and the sauce was pretty good, but there was nothing other than meat in this "stew," and it definitely lacked salt, or seasoning, or something. But again, perhaps this is just the way the dish is prepared?

I was more pleased than my husband, who declared the food mediocre at best. Still, we both agreed that maybe we just picked the wrong things to order. Either way, this is an acceptable restaurant with a pleasant and attractive interior . . . but the food was unremarkable (the apple strudel/pie dessert was just ok, too).

• Visited May 2011