“Sense of humour!”
Review of Baobab - CLOSED

Baobab
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: World cuisine, South African specialties, gluten and lactose free meals made to order. Reserving a table is highly recommended. MOTTO: "We don't serve fast food but fresh food as fast as we can."
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Sense of humour!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Unusual choice for a veggie (they serve zebra!) but with a carnivore partner this is a good choice as they had three veggie starters and two veggie mains. Great atmosphere but I wouldn't recommend.to a hardcore vegan as they do serve a lot of game. Very entertaining service, good wine and pleasant surroundings- what mote could you want? Reasonable price for the centre of Bruges.

Adelaide, Australia
“An African gem”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

After wondering the streets of Brugge looking for somewhere to eat, we found this great place. It was empty during the slowest tourist time of the year but we decided to risk it, and were glad we did.
The owner was friendly and welcoming and we had a great chat about Africa and Australia.
The food was fresh, made with good quality produce and cooked well. The nibbles of olives, pickled herring and homemade cornbread was a great touch (the cornbread especially delicious!).
Recommend for anyone that wants something a bit different.

• Visited January 2014
London
“Tasty food,cooked fresh but very slow service”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Nice little South African restaurant. We went there off chance as we couldnt find any spaces in the restaurants we originally wanted to eat. It is run by 2 people,one is cooking and one is serving. Although the food was very nice (we had surf and turf),the service let it down. The gentelman serving the tables wasnt enough on the ball in my opinion. the restaurant wasnt full, there were only 5 tables and we waited for our meal 1hr 30 mins.. I appreciate there was only one person cooking but this is more than we had to wait anywhere else. ever!about the meal, portions rather on a small side but food was very tasty, a steak in surf and turf was rather a thin fillet of beef but very tasty.you get a small fillet of beaf, one king prawn,two calamari rings some saucess (very tasty) and a tiny little salad.However, the chips that came with the meal tasted rather odd,in my opinion they were cooked in an old oil. shame. The wine selection is vey good though. after we finished eating,we fancied a desert but we were forgotten by the service and after waiting over 20minutes,watching the guy tyding up his counter and sorting out papers,we decided to ask for the bill. all in all, i think this place has got a great potential but you need to work on your service,definitely must be quicker and more attentive,

• Visited December 2013
Seregno, Italy
“A taste of Africa in Belgium”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Baobab is a nice restaurant in the center of Bruges. It offers good African dishes with nice South African wines. The restaurant is nice, the owner friendly and really kind. The wine list is short but you can find really good wines. The menu offers a good choice of african dishes. If you want to taste something different with good quality, this is your place. Suggested to couples.

Visited December 2013
Daventry, United Kingdom
“Superb, 5* dining”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We walked around Bruges looking for the perfect restaurant for my partners birthday when we stumbled onto this gem! It's not too far from the main square but just quite enough to have a relaxing meal. We were greeted by a very friendly and upbeat gentleman, who I believe was the owner. He showed us to the table, the restaurant was not overly crowded, just enough people for a pleasant ambiance, and we were given some nibbles to start with. We ordered our food and to start we I had the full prawns, which if you're like me and don't mind ripping at them, we're beautifully cooked! My partner began with chicken livers which he said were equally as nice. For main we both had the safari kebab. At the beginning I was thinking this was very highly priced at €29.50, as a kebab to me is some meat stuck in between a pita bread which you eat whilst intoxicated. However, when the kebab came it was incredible. It was a mixture of zebra and ostrich meat which were both cooked to how I asked them. Also as it is African food I was slightly cautious as I do not eat many spicy foods but the spices were kept at the side of the plate so you could apply them as and when you wanted to. The service whilst we were eating as well was impeccable! I would recommend this place to anyone who would like a bit of a change to the usual conventional meats.

• Visited December 2013