“Cosy, Charming & Inviting”

Restaurant De Wijngaert
Ranked #116 of 744 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Barbecue, Fast Food
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stumbled across this little gem while trudging the back streets in the freezing snow on a sunday night. We could see the fire through the window and although the menu looked limited and the place looked small, it seemed fitting for the weather conditions!

We were greeted and seated and soon had the wine list and menu on the go.. the wine list was very good so we went for a bottle of tasty warming Medoc. I'm not a huge fish fan (I know, it's wasted on me in somewhere like Bruges!) but there were other things for me to choose from so I plumped for the home made cheese croquettes and a turkey steak with fries... SO GOOD!!
The croquettes came with a large side salad on a bed of more cheese, all on a big plate - I could have eaten that for main as well, they were so good.... The turkey steak I watched being grilled over the open fire in the restaurant, it's back to basics and it works. The steak was deliciously peppery with tasty fries and more salad, hardly any fat on it either. You could tell it was a really good cut of meat.

For two people, two large starters, two main meals and a bottle of wine, the bill came to approx 95 euros (without tip). Quite reasonable for the quality of the food & the wine for sure (the bottle of wine was 35 euro's alone, we picked a reasonable one from the list).

We stayed for a while, the atmosphere was relaxed & we didn't feel hurried to eat the food or pay our bill (although this was a sunday night, it was fairly busy - I wouldnt know what it would be like on a friday or saturday night - but it felt like a place where the locals go, there was lots of friendly banter & if we're ever in Bruges again, we will be seeking this place out!!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We picked this place after passing it earlier in the day, the guidebooks said it had fresh fish and local game so it sounded good. We were greeted by friendly staff and a huge roaring fire that was to double as the grill. Whilst we were watching our trout take its last journey on the grill a couple of elderly English ladies came in and sat down next to us. I have no idea what their relationship was or how they had come to be in Bruges – I suspect they might have gotten lost on route to bingo – but the bite marks on the inside of my mouth testify to my effort in not laughing. For what felt like a month, but was probably only 10 minutes, they discussed in depth whether to have apple, orange, pineapple or tonic water…I’m still not sure what they had. They discussed the menu with each other in depth. “Oh no I don’t like that” or “ooh that sounds a bit rich for me” and the classic “I’m not sure my teeth will get through that” Then, like typical unadventurous British tourists, they turned to the poor waitress and announced they’ll just have fish and chips. “No salad on mine” said the first “Oh I’ll have salad on mine” said the second.
At this point my wife left the table and bolted for the bathroom, clearly unable to contain herself any longer. We attempted to eat without laughing as they discussed who wanted the chips. “There was to much oil on my plate last night” said the first “well mine was OK” said the second, “oh no mine had much to much oil” said the first, “mine was OK,” said the second “yes but my plate was covered in oil” said the first, “well mine was fine” said the second. By now I had raced to the bathroom and slammed my head against the wall…repeatedly…. in an effort to numb the pain.
The sea trout, by the way, was fantastic, the atmosphere was perfect for a cold late winter evening, however our fellow diners would have made perfect fodder for stand-up comedians.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Dropped in whilst passing and what a lucky find! A cosy little corner restaurant with a limited menu, just good quality meat and fish. Everyone seemed to be wolfing down large portions of steak and chips and we certainly left feeling pretty full and happy. House wine is perfectly OK, and it was fun to watch the chef in the middle of the room BBQ'ing all the food.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

A simple restaurant that serves fantastic grills cooked in front of you on an open fire grill. Portions are a good size, especially if you have the bacon salad! Cosy atmosphere and very good service.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We visited this restaurant because it looked small and welcoming. The coffee was excellent and the food was very good too.