“Dreadful food”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of La Buena Vista

La Buena Vista
Ranked #233 of 707 Restaurants in Bruges
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Description: Great local's restaurant/bar with reasonable prices. Food is excellent. We ate there twice and enjoyed their fish dishes and chili con carne.
“Dreadful food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Most of the tapas we wanted were apparently out of season, I didn't know meatballs had a season! Everything tasted and looked like it had come from Iceland's freezer section and just been shoved in the oven. We had an over powering smell of the toilets from our table and the only saving grace was the sangria. I was up at 3am with stomach pains and both me and my friend felt queasy afterwards. The chef should be ashamed of himself. Avoid at all costs!

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank vivalicious11

Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Delicious, inventive food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Loved the fact that both traditional & inventive foods were on offer. We opted for a little of both & weren't disappointed. Lovely setting & friendly service.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Lyndaki01
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Chef and Server Ensured a Positive Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Famished, we arrived at La Buena Vista late one night hoping for some fresh sea fare. We were not disappointed! The chef whipped up a delicious meal with flair, and our server kindly recommended a complimentary wine. We felt well-cared for, and thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing dinner.

• Visited April 2013
Perth, Australia
“The customer is not king here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Me and a bunch of friends went here for the "discovery menu". When we made the reservation the chef explained us what this entailed. I specifically asked if it could be adapted to dietary needs because I am pregnant, and a friend of mine can't eat fish. They said it was no problem. We asked again when ordering, and got the same response. But when the food started coming out they had not changed anything AT ALL, not had they lessened the portions of which we would need. They ended the meal with a steak that was cooked bleu (bloody), I asked if he could take a bit of it and cook it through, because of the danger of eating raw meat when pregnant and he blatantly said he did NOT want to do that.
One of our friends couldn't make it last minute. They charged us for her portions as well, even though they could have easily made most of the portions smaller (like the ham, salami, patatas braves).
I ended up only being able to eat half of the menu, leaving me hungry after dinner. We all felt a little ripped off and will find another place to go next time. They definitely do not respect the wishes of their costumers.

• Visited April 2013
6 Thank Dewulf_sarah
Sandwich, United Kingdom
“Rude & threatening owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I dined here on March 18th. The owner/chef droned on at great length about how wonderful and inspirational his food was. He then dropped by our table every five minutes or so demanding feedback - thus preventing us having a normal conversation. This became extremely irritating. Unfortunately, the food didn't help being, at best, mediocre. We shared a starter we hadn't really wanted because it was more or less pushed on us and was supposed to be out of this world. In fact, it was fairly tasteless and lacked seasoning. I had chef's special ox-tail as a main course and back came chef to loom over me and order to me to eat it with my fingers. I said no - he started to argue and I had to just stop eating at all while I waited for him to go away. The evening, which had not been going well, was about to get worse. When my husband went to pay with a debit card, he as informed that the restaurant only accepted cash. There were no signs anywhere to indicate this so my husband - whilst handing over 80 euros cash for a very average meal - suggested that perhaps customers ought to be made aware of this from the outset. At this point mine host completely lost his temper. He tried to stop us leaving and stood on the doorstep towering over us, shouting abuse. He was still shouting when we were half-way down the street. The moral of this tale is - give the Buena Vista a body swerve and spend your money elsewhere.

• Visited November 2012