“Weekend in Bruges”
Review of pro Deo

pro Deo
Ranked #7 of 767 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We attempted to book on the evening we arrived but they were full. They were also full on the following evening but the lady said "I get the feeling you really want to come, so we'll fit you in somehow, even if you have to eat in the kitchen!" Frankly, it wouldn't have mattered if we had, we had a delightful evening; a buzzy, bistro with delicious fare (I had the Flemish Stew - delicious!) followed by the cheeseboard. I couldn't recommend it the place more highly.

3  Thank geoffleesley
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had a really lovely meal , booked on line after seeing Trip advisor comments , we were not disappointed ,staff very friendly , it was lovely ,lovely ,lovely !

3  Thank Pennypitstop
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Lovely little place with a great, informal, atmosphere. Delicious food and excellent service. Just one tip - go there hungry - as the portions are generous!

1  Thank Ed H
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We went to this place as it came recommended by TA and by the hotel we stayed in. Seemed like a good place to celebrate my husbands birthday. We booked online on their website and got a prompt confirmation from Nathalie.
Walking with and elderly couple and a pram it seemed to take a long time to get there (although it's only ten minutes walk from where we were), maybe we were just tired!
Anyway, we were very pleased as we walked into this quaint little place! We got a warm welcome from the waitress and she happily accommodated the big pram right next to our table even though it made it a bit tight for her too be around. The chairs were laid out with cushions on two seats for children as I specified in my email that we had two kids with us. (Attention to detail).

The menu is limited but we all found something to order(including kids and veggie). The spagghetti with white sauce for my little one was delicious, as were the cheese croquettes starters. The beef stew was highly recommended by the hostess and although over generous in portion, was a bit bland and chewy. Jacket patato with cheese was good and fried sole was delicious. Overall mixed opinion about food hence the four stars.
The service was fantastic and they even brought out a small desert (yummy chocolate ice cream) with sparklers to celebrate my husbands birthday (I had informed them in my email).
The service was flawless and we had a beautiful evening with the family. We were not rushed and they were very patient with my extremely tired daughters who were bring difficult (and noisy) towards the end.
I would give it a five star if there was more options on the menu (a chicken dish maybe).
Definitely recommend this place for ambience, service and overall enjoyable experience.
I suggest you book in advance as they have only 4-5 tables, they had to turn away people since they were full, and this was on a Thursday evening in an off peak season!!!!

3  Thank priti_01
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had such a fab meal at pro deo. there are only a handful of tables in this restuarant. book before you go. there is a quaint little bar and we were served a special gin and tonic which had aniseed balls in the glass. it was gorgeous. We sat amongst memorabilia and the place has a great atmosphere. the food is really tasty. i think we were looked after by the owner. She spoke impeccable English.